Waters vs Gilmour

Heritage_Head

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Wasn't her 'singing' in Great Gig in the Sky her having sex?  (not actually, but singing out the act of having sex)

I think that after the second take she was done. 

She quit in the middle of the third take, and told them David she couldn't do better.  She went in the control room with AP and the band and they listened to it and that was pretty much it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Wasn't her 'singing' in Great Gig in the Sky her having sex?  (not actually, but singing out the act of having sex)

Nope. She just decided to use her voice like an instrument to work along with the recording. Her voice was the last addition to the mix. It was entirely her creation from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJzatfNQf4g

• Like 5

When my wife and I go out to dinner, I sometimes embarrass her and give the reservation name of a famous singer, without her hearing me. Table for Presley, table for Plant, table for Prince. She took me out for Father's Day, and over the intercom came "table for Springsteen".....she laughed, rolled her eyes and looked at me like "is this us"?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I haven't read all the pages, but here's my thoughts.

I'm only 37, but my dad introduced me to Pink Floyd via his records of DSoTM, Animals, The Wall, and WYWH. He was born in '59, so he didn't really get into the Syd Barrett era. My favorites growing up became Animals and WYWH on CD. As an adult I've started to enjoy the full catalogue. (The same can be said for Fleetwood Mac, except there I enjoy mostly just their early stuff).

So I have Gilmore's "Live in Pompeii" bluray and Watters' "The Wall" rockumentary bluray. Both are excellent shows, and both have people filling in for the other guy's parts within their own shows. These replacements sound close, but just not up to the same standard as the original band mate being replaced. So I like both, for their own merits, and sure would love to see them together again before they die.

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I haven't read all the pages, but here's my thoughts.

I'm only 37, but my dad introduced me to Pink Floyd via his records of DSoTM, Animals, The Wall, and WYWH. He was born in '59, so he didn't really get into the Syd Barrett era. My favorites growing up became Animals and WYWH on CD. As an adult I've started to enjoy the full catalogue. (The same can be said for Fleetwood Mac, except there I enjoy mostly just their early stuff).

So I have Gilmore's "Live in Pompeii" bluray and Watters' "The Wall" rockumentary bluray. Both are excellent shows, and both have people filling in for the other guy's parts within their own shows. These replacements sound close, but just not up to the same standard as the original band mate being replaced. So I like both, for their own merits, and sure would love to see them together again before they die.

They were together in 2011 for some shows at the 02 Arena in London, it's called Comfortably Numb.

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

You are wise beyond your years grasshopper; but, i hope you mean the very early stuff.   

Fleetwood Mac is in my top two most disliked bands/performers.  They are second only to Bruce Springsteen.  Our late friend Boxx, rightfully reminded me that the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac was different.  He was right ... I just can’t stand the Stevie Nicks disaster. But, it was still bad without her...Tusk featuring the USC Marching Band defies insults. 

Yup, we're tracking and I'm absolutely talking about the Peter Green era. They might as well have been two different bands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

You are wise beyond your years grasshopper; but, i hope you mean the very early stuff.   

Fleetwood Mac is in my top two most disliked bands/performers.  They are second only to Bruce Springsteen.  Our late friend Boxx, rightfully reminded me that the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac was different.  He was right ... I just can’t stand the Stevie Nicks disaster. But, it was still bad without her...Tusk featuring the USC Marching Band defies insults. 

Bruce Springsteen!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1ac71a592f553551

• Haha 1

Chicago's song 25 or 6 to 4 is about the difficulty of writing a song, and it doesn't specify whether the singer is talking about music or lyrics.  I used to think that the title was some meaningless numbers, but then a year or two ago I discovered that it means "25 or 26 minutes to 4 (am)".  The song is not about a drug experience, it's about struggling to come up with some music before sunrise.

Here's a Russian band that does a great cover of it:

• Like 1