Waters vs Gilmour

Heritage_Head

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Has anyone seen Nick Mason's band Saucerful of Secrets? They play the older and not often heard Pink Floyd songs. https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8482606/pink-floyd-drummer-nick-mason-plans-2019-us-tour

4 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

About the only song I really like from pink floyd pre DSOTM is Free Four. 

A few songs have small moments that are good. But Pink Floyd themselves are quoted many times saying that "DSOTM was the first album that we all looked at each other and knew we finally made something good". 

There is a lot of great pre-DSOTM material:

One of these Days

Fearless

Echoes

Stay

Astronomy Domine

Be Careful With That Axe Eugene

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Interstellar Overdrive

And many more.....

Seeing Echoes played live was one of the defining experiences of my concert going youth.

Just my opinion..... :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

There is a lot of great pre-DSOTM material:

One of these Days

Fearless

Echoes

Stay

Astronomy Domine

Be Careful With That Axe Eugene

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Interstellar Overdrive

And many more.....

Seeing Echoes played live was one of the defining experiences of my concert going youth.

Just my opinion..... :)

Agree to disagree

A lot of those songs do have a few parts in them that I like. Theres a few songs on SOS that have some really cool effects. I just cant un hear good Pink floyd. And being that I got into them with imo the good stuff. The rest is for me impossible to take serious. If I started listing to them pre Waters era (him being the main creator). I might have liked some of that better. 

19 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Agree to disagree

A lot of those songs do have a few parts in them that I like. Theres a few songs on SOS that have some really cool effects. I just cant un hear good Pink floyd. And being that I got into them with imo the good stuff. The rest is for me impossible to take serious. If I started listing to them pre Waters era (him being the main creator). I might have liked some of that better. 

Then try this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heritage_Head said:

Agree to disagree

Meddle is one of my absolute favorite Pink Floyd albums.

No worries. We will agree to disagree. :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Meddle is one of my absolute favorite Pink Floyd albums.

No worries. We will agree to disagree. :)

Meddle is one of my favourites, too.  Echoes is, to me, one of Pink Floyd's masterpieces.  

The sounds that appear to be gulls were found by accident.  Gilmour (I'm not on a first-name basis with him) was hooking up his effects pedals, and hooked up one of them backwards (guitar to the Output side, amp to the Input side).  When he played through it, he really liked what he heard, and it wound up being used in the song.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

i think i stated earlier that my fave is Wish You Were Here; but, i also LOVE one that is rarely spoken of ... Obscured by Clouds.  Although it was made for a movie, it still was favorably received. Wot’s ... Uh the Deal is just a beautiful song. If you’re not familiar with it ... check it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

but, i also LOVE one that is rarely spoken of ... Obscured by Clouds.  Although it was made for a movie, it still was favorably received. Wot’s ... Uh the Deal is just a beautiful song.

Agreed! :)

So much incredible music in the pre-DSOTM Pink Floyd catalog. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i think i stated earlier that my fave is Wish You Were Here; but, i also LOVE one that is rarely spoken of ... Obscured by Clouds.  Although it was made for a movie, it still was favorably received. Wot’s ... Uh the Deal is just a beautiful song. If you’re not familiar with it ... check it out. 

Pfff awful imo. Its one of many PF albums I own I barely got though even one time. The only PF album I know of that I don't have is ummagumma. I've heard it but its just as bad imo. 

Meddle starts to show signs of whats to come. But the bulk of the album is still just terrible imho. 

Keep in mind The Wall is what I started on and then worked backwards (sorta). There was no internet so some of it was a guessing game. In fact I got The Wall on accident. I was looking for the album that had a song on the radio I heard. Didn't know the name of the song at the time. The Wall wasn't it. 

15 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Agree to disagree

What do yo you think of Waters solo offerings?