Waters vs Gilmour

Heritage_Head

1 hour ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

What do yo you think of Waters solo offerings?

Pros and cons Is decent not great. Radio has a few songs I really like but was overall a disappointment. Amused to death IMO is his best solo work. What god wants god gets 3 is PF level, Three wishes I like a lot. His newest album (Is this the life you really want) idk not my style. I like post Waters pink floyd better than Waters solo stuff.

You? 

30 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

you barely got through it one time?  not enough exposure to give it a fair shake. you need to listen to it a few more times.  there is a lot of other Pink Floyd in some of those songs-- stuff that gave birth to things used on later Floyd songs. Finding those things, to me, is part of the fun in music.  For instance, there is a lot of the lesser known March of the Black Queen (from Queen II) in Bohemian Rhapsody; but, so many people love Bohemian Rhapsody while never having listened to March of the Black Queen and wouldn’t see the similarities in a single casual listening session. I personally love discovering roots of earlier techniques in songs -- a “so that’s where that came from” moment. That said, i do understand how the casual listener may not connect the dots ... techniques used before and slightly changed in later works aren’t easily noticed and sometimes even takes a professional musician to point out what they just did. If you want to see how trippy music can be, listen to Queen’s Sweet Lady -- it’s in 3/4 time signature, which is the same time signature as the waltz; but, your ears hear this hard rock tune. 

I think Obscured by Clouds is not as good as it could have been had the band spent more time on it, (it was done in a couple of weeks). But, there is some good stuff in it. Subtle guitar work that can easily go unnoticed or excellent keyboard work from Wright. I find the double harmony by Gilmour on Wot’s ... uh the Deal to be great. Also, Mudmen to be an excellent piece. Many like Childhood’s End far more than i do; but, the taste of the public varies. 

i often fall into the trap of comparison; but, am trying to appreciate each piece on it’s own merit ... even then i often simply don’t like a song, or a band even, as evidenced by  my earlier post about my disdain for post Peter Green Fleetwood Mac.

Sorry for rambling ... Enjoy your Saturday.

No man please do ramble 👍

This is a great post (I mean I don't agree with some of it). Rambling is the point of the thread!

A few posts before the one you quoted me I mentioned some of the songs have some good parts. Those parts are the ones you can hear whats to come. I probably shouldn't have said terrible/awful. Was just being overly animated. You know I love these guys! There the big two (musicians) on my list. 

37 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Pros and cons Is decent not great. Radio has a few songs I really like but was overall a disappointment. Amused to death IMO is his best solo work. What god wants god gets 3 is PF level, Three wishes I like a lot. His newest album (Is this the life you really want) idk not my style. I like post Waters pink floyd better than Waters solo stuff.

You? 

About the same as you. There are some gems in there.

I do enjoy watching Waters play Pink Floyd music live. I also enjoy watching Gilmour play Pink Floyd music live. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 10:51 AM, Ceptorman said:

Has anyone seen Nick Mason's band Saucerful of Secrets? They play the older and not often heard Pink Floyd songs. https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8482606/pink-floyd-drummer-nick-mason-plans-2019-us-tour

Saw it twice in the UK and three shows on the West Coast. Front row in Vancouver, The two guitarists are very good.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 2:56 PM, AuditMan said:

I agree.  Being an amateur guitar player and bigger than huge Pink Floyd fan, I am torn between the two for reasons stated.  The pre-Gilmore Floyd music, in my opinion, is not as good.  I'll probably take heat for writing that.

Im with you, I really didn't like much from Gilmour  (what he wrote) tell After Waters left. The two Albums they did without Waters Are really good albums that I like a lot. Signs of life/Learning to fly is one of the great pink floyd songs imo. Is it as good as the best floyd stuff NO... But He really imo did a heck of a job moving into that role that he hadn't been in sense the late 60 early 70s. 

Don't get me wrong im not forgetting about the amazing solos he wrote and played on the great floyd stuff. I would have never pitted a VS with anyone against Roger Waters If they weren't imo Epic Legendary level (as in arguably the greatest). 

And as a amateur guitarist as well (I realize your post was piggy backing/responding from some of what I posted). His Guitar work is universe creation level EPIC. I cant even begin to rap my head around how good he really is in his solo creations. 

But Waters was the MAN! Dude was just the ....man! His work transcended music into something beyond everyone else's 2ch stereo good time music. It became a living liquid creation. 

Obviously this is very very bias opinion. 

On 7/1/2019 at 4:19 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

I haven't read all the pages, but here's my thoughts.

I'm only 37, but my dad introduced me to Pink Floyd via his records of DSoTM, Animals, The Wall, and WYWH. He was born in '59, so he didn't really get into the Syd Barrett era. My favorites growing up became Animals and WYWH on CD. As an adult I've started to enjoy the full catalogue. (The same can be said for Fleetwood Mac, except there I enjoy mostly just their early stuff).

So I have Gilmore's "Live in Pompeii" bluray and Watters' "The Wall" rockumentary bluray. Both are excellent shows, and both have people filling in for the other guy's parts within their own shows. These replacements sound close, but just not up to the same standard as the original band mate being replaced. So I like both, for their own merits, and sure would love to see them together again before they die.

As much as I love the visuals, his Meltdown DVD is pretty darn good too (my opinion).  More of an 'unplugged' kind of show.I absolutely LOVE the simple floor creaking in the beginning as he shifts weight, pushes the buttons on his floor control.... Love some of the background vocals as they soar.  Heck even looking up a link makes me want to go listen to it right now.

https://www.amazon.com/David-Gilmour-in-Concert/dp/B01M34OY2P/ref=pd_sbs_15_5/147-7149272-6014956?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M34OY2P&pd_rd_r=be4c49f9-185b-42b7-96ad-9df3b377b8fe&pd_rd_w=W4fvs&pd_rd_wg=nS1Fx&pf_rd_p=43281256-7633-49c8-b909-7ffd7d8cb21e&pf_rd_r=5T1QYQFPWTBEVM1ECKFP&psc=1&refRID=5T1QYQFPWTBEVM1ECKFP

David Gilmour in Concert

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I was just chatting with Roger last night ... okay, now that i got your attention -- I’m lying. I did listen to some of Gilmour's stuff yesterday though.  Take a listen to Coming Back to Life from the division bell album and let me know what you think.  Some great guitar work there and any song that has three guitar solos is a good song.  Best guitar work is Shine on You Crazy Diamond, in my opinion .I wish my Strat sounded that good.  Funny, I’ve met Brian May from Queen several times, after shaking his hand, i’d come home and pick up one of my guitars, and i still sounded like me ... disappointed.  😀   Happy Friday.

Me and Waters talk all the time. Im his greatest muse. He mentioned me in his interview (when he didn't show to the rock hof). LOL ok he didn't mention me... and truthfully we don't talk all the time... or even ever ....maybe sorta "squinty face". 😊

Shine on you crazing diamonds Its a gilmour master piece. Also animals his guitar imo sounds like a breathing creature in constant struggle to just bend that string just... 1/2 step more (even though hes already at 2 1/2/ or 3 steps up)  to be even more tearful/powefull. Just fantastic. The effortless yet purposely emotional struggle he plays with in parts is imo his greatest calling card. 

• Like 1

Here's how I feel about this subject. Put all the PF band members back together (not Syd Barrett) even go back to the 70s or 80s.

Remove Waters from the band, they would still do ok, sell a lot of albums and concert tickets.

Remove Gilmour from the band, and they will struggle, Gilmour would be harder to replace than Waters.