Waters vs Gilmour

Heritage_Head

14 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

which goes overlooked by many.  both times i saw Roger live, a guy named Snowy White was in the band.  Dude is excellent and I really like his playing; i didn’t miss Gilmour or even think about him during those shows.  But, Gilmour's music invokes such an emotional response and is far more than muscle memory. His creativity is off the charts and that is what i appreciate far more than technical ability. 

Agree if you haven't watched the youtube videos I posted from there 81 wall tour. I strongly suggest it. Gilmour extended all his solos in that show. His mother extended solo (the last 15 sec or so) should have made the album. He plays over the 2nd part/verse of the chorus I want to say........ Its fantastic. 

16 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Here's how I feel about this subject. Put all the PF band members back together (not Syd Barrett) even go back to the 70s or 80s.

Remove Waters from the band, they would still do ok, sell a lot of albums and concert tickets.

Remove Gilmour from the band, and they will struggle, Gilmour would be harder to replace than Waters.

Hmmmm good points but I disagree. Take away his solos in dark side of the moon and replace them with someone really good but still a little down grade. The album Still has legendary popularity . Still breaks all the records it did at the time. And still would have been what made them rich for the first time. 

Shine on you craze diamonds would have been a lot different but the songs (cores) all would have still been there. And agin your still replacing him with a good player. It would not have bested dark side album like it did with gilmour but still would have been huge. Animals same story. And the Wall was 95% waters or more. 

Fun fact in the Law suit over pink floyd after waters left. Wasn't a total loss in waters camp. They lost the main part of the suit but, He did win the rights and owner ship to The wall. The wall is no longer (like 1986ish to present) a pink floyd possession. Waters won it. All the details I wouldn't know. 

But the fact he won the rights to the bands most successful album says a lot!

18 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i agree; but, not sure for the reason that you may think.  I don’t know for sure; but, i’ve heard that while Roger wrote most of the lyrics, that David contributed greatly to the music on Roger’s songs. On what percentage, i don’t know; but, i heard an interview where he mentioned contributing to songs on The Wall.  Personally, i like the music far more than i like they lyrics (that goes for music in general).  I don’t listen to a song to learn anything or be validated in any emotion, so for me, it’s about the instrument play. Not to say that there aren’t poignant lyrics; just saying that I don’t think they equal the instrument play. 

Waters composed a lot of it. The wall as I mention in another post on this thread. He came to the band with the album on tape were rogers plays all the instruments  on the recordings and the others had to basically take it home and learn there parts. They did workshop some of the songs and parts. Glmour wrote the main riff in run like hell and wrote almost all the solos. Now if roger wrote the 3 albums before the wall the same way I couldn't say with certainty. But Waters was the writer composer and the vision on what the brand would look like to the fans. The whole dark side concept the animals and of course wall were all rogers concepts on top of the writing (music and lysis)

Also fun tip at the same time he brought the wall to the band he also presented the entire pros and cons of hitchhiking album and asked them what one do you guys want to do. Then kinda groveled a little later after the wall when he wanted to do that so he wrote finial cut to end the bands shelf life. 

• Like 2

Ive seen interviews with the band members on the Waters full spectrum of his contribution after he left the band. Pretty universal answer "Waters was the creator of almost all of it really" "Bits and peaces with tweaks of songs... but yea Roger was the ship the sails and the captain steering it. Gilmour summed it up. "He took over completely and we sadly let him" Its are fault completely" We were all to idk lazy or contempt. But we just let him... "even when the direction wasn't what some of wanted we still just let him idk"....

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

he is definitely a talented man no argument there.   Once upon a time, i was solidly in the Roger Camp; but, being a guitar player, i’ve found myself moving towards Gilmour and now am solidly part of the Gilmour Camp.  Not that anyone is making me chose. I do listen to Gilmour’s stuff; but, never listen to Roger’s solo stuff. His concerts though are technically perfect and sound exactly like the albums ... at least the two shows that i saw were. 

Completes agree from relating and being how that view makes sense. Not my opinion of course :). Roger blew his load on the big 4 albums of floyd. He was tiered and spent. You could hear it. Theres only so much that can pour out of any one man for so many decades. 

• Like 2

They may have had some bad feelings for each other. But it isn't an accident (what pick floyd did) It took the absolute best at what they do. They built there work around each other and flourished doing it. 

Waters might have been the the trains engine car/cab but the othesr are what made carrying anything possible.  Hearts and brain are the big ones in humans but cant survive alone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i agree; but, not sure for the reason that you may think.  I don’t know for sure; but, i’ve heard that while Roger wrote most of the lyrics, that David contributed greatly to the music on Roger’s songs. On what percentage, i don’t know; but, i heard an interview where he mentioned contributing to songs on The Wall.  Personally, i like the music far more than i like they lyrics (that goes for music in general).  I don’t listen to a song to learn anything or be validated in any emotion, so for me, it’s about the instrument play. Not to say that there aren’t poignant lyrics; just saying that I don’t think they equal the instrument play. 

That's pretty much how I feel about music also, I can live without the words, but the music has to move me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyOwn said:

I like them both.....

Doyle with Roger.....

And i concert with Roger

That's the guy I was asking earlier in this thread, he played a right handed guitar left handed, the string were upside down.