Thelma Houston Concert

DizRotus

Last night the wife and I enjoyed Thelma from the second row in a medium sized theater in Dearborn, MI.  The performance was excellent.  She looks good, and moves and sings so well, you forget she's 73.

Only two regrets.  The crowd was small.  About 200 people sprinkled throughout a venue designed to hold ten times that.  She didn't sing "I've Got The Music In Me."  That song on the Sheffield Labs Direct to Disc recording is a spectacular demonstration of the dynamics of Klipsch.

51JLNZOHDaL._SY355_.jpg

I saw Kiki Dee with Elton John at Olympia Statidum in Detroit, and I've got the music in me was her only hit at the time. Thelma did it much better.

Did she sing the theme song from the movie with Richard Gere and Diane Keaton?

Addendum: OK, now I remember it was the theme song for "Looking for Mr. Goodbar," called "Please Don't Leave Me This Way."

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Last night the wife and I enjoyed Thelma from the second row in a medium sized theater in Dearborn, MI.  The performance was excellent.  She looks good, and moves and sings so well, you forget she's 73.

Only two regrets.  The crowd was small.  About 200 people sprinkled throughout a venue designed to hold ten times that.  She didn't sing "I've Got The Music In Me."  That song on the Sheffield Labs Direct to Disc recording is a spectacular demonstration of the dynamics of Klipsch.

51JLNZOHDaL._SY355_.jpg

I have 2 copies of that record, which was THE best demo of what recorded music could sound like on Khorns!!

This was written by Bias Boshell, who was in the British band Trees from 1969-1972, and went on to write several songs for Kiki Dee. Gus Dudgeon, who is famous for his work with Elton John, produced the track.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I saw Kiki Dee with Elton John at Olympia Statidum in Detroit, and I've got the music in me was her only hit at the time. Thelma did it much better.

Did she sing the theme song from the movie with Richard Gere and Diane Keaton?

Addendum: OK, now I remember it was the theme song for "Looking for Mr. Goodbar," called "Please Don't Leave Me This Way."

Yes.

The show was presented as her history.  She would walk to the edge of the stage and speak directly to the audience.  The people in the row in front of us reached up and touched her repeatedly.

Her story began in Long Beach, CA in junior high.  She described "Don't Leave Me This Way" as her first big hit.  It was the highlight of the show.  The band was excellent also.