Margarita Recipe

rockhound

3 minutes ago, Schu said:

Dont waste good Tequilas on mixed tourist drinks... save those drink for the cheap stuff. Maybe use something up to and as good as 'Tequila Ocho' which you can also drink straight.

what exactly are you talking about?  

Fresh Lime juice. The limes should be mexican limes available around here at mexican food stores. They are sweeter than the standard lime. In a pinch a key lime will work. In a rocks glass,  tequila over ice (certainly not blended!) with a dash of triple sec or cointreau and sweeten with agave nector. You can also make them in a martini shaker just like a up martini.

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Water?  For real?  Say it ain't so.

Yes. The 24 servings mentioned are in pint sized glasses filled with cubed ice. The water and sugar amounts in the recipe translate to roughly 1.5 oz of simple syrup per serving, plus whatever water you get from ice melt.

Here's a roughly scaled down version of the recipe I like:

Ingredients (Serves 6)

• 12 ounces silver tequila (about half of a 750-milliliter bottle)

• 5 ounces triple sec liqueur (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)

• 4 ounces fresh lime juice (1/2 cup)

• 4 ounces fresh lemon juice (1/2 cup)

• 7 ounces simple syrup (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons; see note)

• 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges

• Kosher salt

Instructions

Put all ingredients except lime wedges and salt in pitcher. Stir well.

Moisten the rims of 6 glasses by making a crosswise slit in a wedge of lime and running it around the rims. Dip in shallow container of kosher salt.

Fill glasses with ice up to the rims. Fill with tequila mix and garnish with a wedge of lime. Serve.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, babadono said:
On 6/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, BigStewMan said:

I guess i’m in the minority here ... good tequila is drank alone.  I’m not going to mix it with anything. 

What you talkin' bout Willis?

I'm with BSM, save the other ingredients for everybody else, here's my glass.

th (1).jpg

• Like 2

I have not "Shot" tequila in a long time, the last time I did that it did not end well lol. Anyway @Pete H brought some Cabo to Hope this year. My first time trying it thought it was REALLY good. I'll mix the Rita's for guest and sneak in some shots for me :)

• Moderators

I had a few at Pilgrimage, Glen and Verna (Picky) had some they wanted me to try it, a few times, it was good. They said it was some George Clooney was selling, I don't remember which one it was.

casamigos-tequila-three-bottle-lineup.jpg

@rockhound you know my opinion; give everyone a couple drinks of some smooth tequila straight up, maybe a little KY crafted bourbon as well and you won't need any freaking recipe.  On a serious note, in the past, some Cuervo Black as the primary with the right amount of Grand Marnier, can make most off the shelf mixes just fine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 7:53 PM, dtel said:

I had a few at Pilgrimage, Glen and Verna (Picky) had some they wanted me to try it, a few times, it was good. They said it was some George Clooney was selling, I don't remember which one it was.

casamigos-tequila-three-bottle-lineup.jpg

dtel: Verna and I have tried all 3. But, the best one, in our humble opinions, is the Casamigos Reposado, which is aged about 1-1/2 years. Very smooth, detailed with a buttery-peppery finish.  That is the one I believe you've tried with us. -Glenn

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 3:37 AM, picky said:

dtel: Verna and I have tried all 3. But, the best one, in our humble opinions, is the Casamigos Reposado, which is aged about 1-1/2 years. Very smooth, detailed with a buttery-peppery finish.  That is the one I believe you've tried with us. -Glenn

I don't know if the anejo is worth the difference in price compared with a reposado from the same company. Blanco is usually not close. Agreed?

Mark