Margarita Recipe

rockhound

On 3/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, risingjay said:

My palate isn't to sophisticated, Costco Kirkland tequila works for me😀

@blissann I bought a Margaritaville machine a couple years ago used for $100.  Found it on either Offerup or Letgo in perfect condition and saved a couple hundos.  Might wanna check there.  

Really good tequila does not make a great Margarita.  It has been almost thirty years since I worked in a bar, but at the time, Cuervo 1800 was the good stuff and regular Cuervo Gold made a better drink because you wanted a little bite to it (but not too much).  Lots of sugar and flavors in the drink, you want to be able to taste the tequila. 

Cuervo Gold was a premium if I remember (and not a call) and 1800 was top shelf.  I know things have changed a lot since then.  I remember on a radio show someone was saying how 'gross' Stoli was.  Stoli was the premium vodka and my personal favorite back then but aggressive advertising has somehow degraded this fine brand and replaced it with who knows what crap where you likely cannot tell the difference

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Cuervo Gold

Most commonly known as Cuervo Gold, this mass-market mixto tequila is the first tequila many people experience and is the number one selling tequila in the world. This mixto tequila is a blend of both blanco and reposado tequila and, of course, is not 100% agave.

DISTILLED FROM AT LEAST 51% BLUE WEBER AGAVE, THE REMAINING 49% CAN BE SUGARS (USUALLY CANE SUGAR). THEY ARE NOT AGED, BUT USE CARAMEL-COLORING TO PROVIDE THE GOLD COLOR. CAN BE BOTTLED OUTSIDE OF MEXICO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Most commonly known as Cuervo Gold, this mass-market mixto tequila is the first tequila many people experience and is the number one selling tequila in the world. This mixto tequila is a blend of both blanco and reposado tequila and, of course, is not 100% agave.

DISTILLED FROM AT LEAST 51% BLUE WEBER AGAVE, THE REMAINING 49% CAN BE SUGARS (USUALLY CANE SUGAR). THEY ARE NOT AGED, BUT USE CARAMEL-COLORING TO PROVIDE THE GOLD COLOR. CAN BE BOTTLED OUTSIDE OF MEXICO.

I didn't say that is was top shelf, in fact the opposite.  I like the little bite that Cuervo Gold gives, especially as bartenders use simple syrup (sugar and water) or sweet and sour mix, both of which are extremely sweet.  The bite of the Cuervo helps to balance this, plus it has a decent taste. 

• 2 weeks later...