Klipschorn upgrades

Starfire

They could be readily upgraded to AK-4 level (last year's model) depending on the size of the opening in front of the woofer. If you have K-400 squawker horns,  it would be remove and replace tweeter, squawker driver and crossover.  Again, assuming you have the 3" x 13" bass horn throat.

If not, you would likely want to replace some capacitors and put a pair of early 80s solder terminal K-55-Vs in with a K-77-M/D/F tweeter and a Type AA crossover if yours have a Type A. I'd stop there.  Mods to the woofer/bass horn are rarely needed or warranted. 

With enough money, you may even be able to upgrade to the newest AK-5 version, but fitting the new tweeter  ight be too difficult to justify it. 

You will get the best answers in the Technical Section.  This one is best used for things like who were my speakers delivered to first and is this a stock speaker. 

5 hours ago, Starfire said:

Looking to see what year these are and what can I do to update them or can they be improved

I'd use a good DSP crossover to get the most out of them, then later switch to K-510 horns with good 2" compression drivers. 

If you want the highest sound quality, I'd recommend K-402s on top like @Delicious2 has done.

Chris

Trying to "upgrade" to an existing passive crossover that's been produced within the last 20 years or so using much older Khorns with their drivers and horns whose performance reflect the period in which they were built (i.e., 1968 in this case) would be a definite risk in terms of what you get. 

Using a DSP crossover and a USB microphone to measure and dial them into their room placements is without risk, and will result in the highest sound quality that you will be able to achieve using the horns and drivers that are presently in the Khorns (or later replacement horns/drivers of any type or configuration).

Based on that observation alone, to me it's a no-brainer to upgrade to a DSP crossover...like this one:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-4x10-hd\

or the Xilica XP 4080:

https://xilica.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Xilica_XPSeries_ProductSheet_V1.pdf

Chris

• Like 3

On 6/30/2019 at 4:32 PM, Chris A said:

I'd use a good DSP crossover to get the most out of them, then later switch to K-510 horns with good 2" compression drivers. 

If you want the highest sound quality, I'd recommend K-402s on top like @Delicious2 has done.

Chris

Yes, it's quite a rabbit hole with an amazing sound system 🐇

K402 Center Left and Right.jpg

Lots of things you can do to hotrod your K-horns. Go slow, and enjoy one improvement at a time. 

I would suggest reading lots of the old posts on here, there are so many different things people have done and found real improvement without spending a fortune. 

I agree. I would simply listen to them and enjoy them. 

Certainly you should go ahead and explore the differences when you move the listening chair etc, etc. 

A good next step might be to replace the caps on the crossover. This is a simple process and does not require a re-design of the crossover, nor does it require $200 caps that have been soaked in beeswax etc, etc. The other step is to search the threads on "pipe foam". This will get you a better seal to the wall. It is also a simple and inexpensive thing to do. (plenty of threads on how to do this). 

After that .... well that is up to you. Personally. I would NOT start replacing horns and drivers or re-designing networks. The information on this forum regarding such "upgrades" is mixed. All of it is well-intentioned, but not all of it is well-thought out. 

However, if you are intent on doing some major alterations, then I would agree about using the K-510 horn and DSP crossovers to get a two-way bi-amped system. This would be a major step and would get you to the world of constant dispersions systems, time alignment, serious control of the crossover, amplitude and phase characteristics of the system. There are several folks around who are smart on this topic and seem to have a willingness to help others.

Good luck,

-Tom

Keep it simple. I consistently deal with people who jump down the rabbit hole and then a year and second mortgage later start trying to crawl their way out. Some solutions require serious investments in both time and money.

We need to know the driver complement of your Klipschorns. 

I agree with less-is-better!  JohnA suggested the AK-4, which is what I have, and it's a great, smooth, well-integrated sound.  Other than that, I wouldn't "upgrade" because you assume it would automatically  be better, when it might not be!  Klipsch engineering has always been pretty good.  

I wouldn't assume you're likely to make it better.

• Like 1