RF-7 or Chorus II, tube or SS?

Bonzo

I may be jumping the gun a bit but I would like to start a conversation on a pending conundrum.

In an effort to be more fiscally responsible, I have decided to put together one two channel, music only, system. I have been through more gear than I care to count and I'm getting I'm tired of the chase. I'm no kid anymore.

The speakers will be Klipsch full range towers that I have narrowed down to two. I have a pair of first generation RF-7's and I'm pending a pair of Chorus II's along with a HH Scott 345 tube receiver that has had an older restoration. I just got to put together a trip to Grants Pass OR that fits into our respective schedules.  I thought a McIntosh MA 6100 was going to be the ticket but, being fiscally responsible, having nearly $1G in a nearly 50 year old amp that has potentially serious failure issues was not making sense to me. I ended up selling it to the guy I bought it from, same price, who was happy to have it back. A very good tech I know just restored a beautiful Sansui AU-5900, 45 watt integrated amp. I was able to work out a partial trade for some gear I wasn't currently using plus a little cash. I have roughly $240 into the Sansui. 

I was going to sell the RF-7's figuring the Chorus II will be the keeper even though I don't have them yet. But, in the words of Lee Corso, "Not so fast, my friend!" The RF-7's sound fantastic with the Sansui, better overall than with the Mac. That, and being fiscally responsible with $760 in my pocket! Now, I plan to wait until I get the Chorus II's and Scott in place before I make any rash decisions. I can only keep one rig so I will be certainly open to any advice and suggestions along the way.

Yikes! Downsizing is tough. My Chorus IIs have been in storage since 2012. I prefer the simplicity of tube separates or integrated. Tube receivers are complex and not many techs enjoy working on them.

Although I have never owned RF7s, I never disliked listening to them.  Cornwall and KLF 30 and oddly K Horns were the only poor sounding Klipsch demos I have heard in 40 years. The RB75 I always considered with my 12 inch sealed sub.

From a historical standpoint PWK being involved in the design of the Chorus II would lean me in that direction. Scott has my favorite phono section of any vintage tube amp, although k have never heard a pilot. Fisher being a distant second place.

No wrong decision here as long as you get the crossovers rebuilt.

Good luck.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I appreciate your input. I am trying to get the planets aligned to meet my friend and relieve him of the speakers and receiver. Busy time of year for both of us. 

The 345 is the last tube receiver made by Scott. It has some solid state technology, rectification for one, and uses three compactrons. Fortunately I have a source for those if needed. It will need 7591 power tubes. It has the originals that are a bit long in the tooth. Tube receivers are not my first choice but it is what it is. Oh, I have a friend who is a great tube tech and is not afraid of receivers.

I’m looking forward to pitting the RF-7’s against the Chorus II’s. I’m confident the C II’s will have a bigger sound. I’m looking forward to the shootout. 

6 hours ago, Bonzo said:

I’m looking forward to pitting the RF-7’s against the Chorus II’s. I’m confident the C II’s will have a bigger sound. I’m looking forward to the shootout. 

I'd be curious to hear your impressions, I've owned both and did a side by side many years ago, the 7's seemed to need a lot more power to get them to sing but my old room was a horrible place acoustically. Both are great speakers IMO and the Chorus II's will really open up in inner detail with some fresh crossover parts or completely new ones from Crites. 

The horn on the RF-7 actually has a fairly large throat opening I measure about 1-1/4" and the driver has a 1" exit so it has a pretty large sound compared to other models.

This is not my first Rodeo with either of these speakers but first time I will have them at the same time. I sometimes feel I'm going in circles with gear. My goal is to stop that running and have one rig that will satisfy my music needs and wants and quit the chase. I want to be in a place where the first think I do in the morning is hunt eBay, CL and other forums looking for that right piece, the last one................... I really hope I get there soon. 

Good to hear I'm not the only one wanting to make things simple and just enjoy the music and the gear that makes it happen. Now, about that busted turntable I have to replace, UGGGH! 

Well, I ended up selling the RF-7's. I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. The Chorus II's and the Scott 345 were delivered today. I forgot to mention that this is my second go around with this gear. I sold them at different times, they were never together in my system, to a good friend of mine. He did enjoy them but decided to move on and offered them to me. I was only too happy to get them back. I had the Scott restored in 2012 and the C II's have Bob's ti domes. The C II's sound amazing with the Sansui. I will fire up the Scott tomorrow morning and see what happens. I know it will need a fresh quad of 7591's but the originals still have some life. Be some fun times, hopefully, tomorrow! Here's some pics.

Chorus II, 1.jpg

Chorus II, 2.jpg

Scott 345, 1.jpg

Scott 345, 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been doing quite a bit of listening to the CII’s with the Scott and Sansui. I will say the Sansui is no slouch by any means. The tech who restored it did an excellent job down to gutting the filter caps and re-stuffing them. My one complaint is it can be a bit hot on the top end depending on the recording. It does have excellent control of the woofers and presents a very accurate mid-range. Oh, it’s rated at around 50 watts per channel. 

The Scott definitely gives the CII’s a warmer sound but with punch. Not quite as good control of the woofers but some of that I’m sure can be attributed to tubes. It does have more of a vintage SS sound the other tube gear I have used such as The Fisher 500c. This is the last tube receiver Scott made. I do think the mid-range and female vocals are more pleasant to listen to with the Scott.

They are more similar in sound that not. The advantage of the Sansui is it doesn’t have the added issues with vintage tube gear. That and no tuner section. The Scott, being a receiver, obviously has more tubes, components, wires etc. I will rarely use the tuner mainly because most of the stations here suck!

Another caveat is my turntable is busted, beyond repair. I just can’t make any final decisions until I spin some vinyl. 

Time for me to do more listening.....

CB149F79-C47F-4CA1-8E17-635E8256C800.jpeg

• Like 1