Got to love Cali....

polizzio

Yes, please don't make it a political party discussion or flinging poop, not my intention. I mean that is just some serious taxes on a gallon of gas. $1 more than most of us. You guys who live in CA, what do CA residents/citizens reap from this? What benefits?

Or share what the cost of a gallon of gasoline is right now in your locale.

1 hour ago, polizzio said:

Yes, please don't make it a political party discussion or flinging poop, not my intention. I mean that is just some serious taxes on a gallon of gas.

Damn hard not to, but I'll refrain.  Washington or was it Oregon, is/was considering a Bill that included a  $0.22 hike, but they ran into a walk-out problem. I suspect the troopers are still looking for them. They have until the end of the month (today), to drag someone in by the hair.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Cali does have the 7th largest economy of any country on the planet.

Somehow they make it work with those taxes and regulations.  Contrary to the fairy tail, most people never consider taxes and just live where they like it. They are doing something right.  Maybe Kansas can try to teach California something that they do not know. 

California was also at the forefront of auto emission controls in the 70s.  All of us car nuts complained, now they figured out that burning all of the fuel makes more power and better mileage. 

2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

California was also at the forefront of auto emission controls in the 70s.  All of us car nuts complained, now they figured out that burning all of the fuel makes more power and better mileage. 

Not due to Cali emissions exclusively, due to the silicon microchip development. Computer control has made massive strides in gasoline engine efficiency and combustion control, and performance. Direct fuel injection, precision combustion timing, live constant tailpipe emissions (oxygen), cylinder deactivation, cam phasing and variable "on the fly" cam timing. And refined/precision manufacturing of many key physical components. All brought about by the rapid evolution of the silicon chip and microprocessors. CNC machining, robotics building new vehicles, R&D, and engineering/modeling. Computers have revolutionized our lives right in front of us in so many ways, and continue to do so.

Now I will say Cali was instrumental in the development and evolution of microprocessors. Many of the leaders in this industry started in CA. They don't call it Silicon Valley for nothing.

• Like 2

I do not believe that any taxing entity is EVER determined to contain/control/end/reverse any type of tax. They always find something to spend it on and then require additional revenues in due time. As for California it is more out of spending control than most states...... I moved away decades ago to the Pacific Northwest. I recall the 1st time I went to register my car in my new state. I was all prepared to hemorrhage up big $$ a-la California style and was stunned at how little I paid. Heck I even have personalized plates now. Regardless, taxes never go down - ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Burning all that fuel (increased efficiency) had nothing to do with CARB regulatories, but Califa was certainly at the head of the spear for reduced emissions.

• Like 2

What I don't understand is currently we pay 20 cents per gallon in taxes in Louisiana and CA will pay 48 cents per gallon after this latest hike. Both of these are in addition to the 18.5 cents federal tax added on. So where is the other $1.00 per gallon in CA going? 

Here is part of the answer, no interstate pipelines in CA. Fuel transportation costs are greater in CA:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenrwald/2018/09/28/california-is-approaching-4-gasoline-but-it-has-only-itself-to-blame/#378e010f1a7a

And it just costs more to refine product in CA.

PA is 57 cents before fed tax. WA is pretty strong @ 49.4 cents.  PA is the highest in the nation gasoline tax wise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:
State Gasoline tax (excludes federal tax of 18.4¢/gal) Diesel tax (excludes federal tax of 24.4¢/gal)
New Hampshire 23.83 23.83
New Jersey 41.4 48.
New Mexico 18.88 22.88
New York 25.75 25.70

Some people have too much time on their hands.

JJK

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Some people have too much time on their hands.

JJK

So does the taxman !

let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman
If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.
Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more
Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for no one but me.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Ohio just implimented a 9 cent tax hike to fix the roads. But prices have been fluctuating so much around here nobody can tell the difference.

The Ohio prices have been loosely following the price of world market oil, maybe by the week.

JJK

11 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Ohio just implimented a 9 cent tax hike to fix the roads. But prices have been fluctuating so much around here nobody can tell the difference.

Yes, gas prices down here have been really volatile too. One day its $2.20 then a few days later its $2.39. The deal in the Gulf of Oman and Iran attacking two crude carriers, then shooting down our 130 million dollar drone.