Got to love Cali....

polizzio

On 6/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, Bosco-d-gama said:

I do not believe that any taxing entity is EVER determined to contain/control/end/reverse any type of tax. They always find something to spend it on and then require additional revenues in due time. As for California it is more out of spending control than most states...... I moved away decades ago to the Pacific Northwest. I recall the 1st time I went to register my car in my new state. I was all prepared to hemorrhage up big $$ a-la California style and was stunned at how little I paid. Heck I even have personalized plates now. Regardless, taxes never go down - ever.

Yes indeed. It's called INFLATION and "Bracket Creep"

16 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

9cent tax hike to fix the roads. But prices have been fluctuating so much around here nobody can tell the difference.

Utica aims to fill 5,000 potholes within the next month - News - Uticaod

• Sunny
Previous
Hide caption
Utica Mayor Robert Palmieri walks across a newly filled pothole Monday, April 15, 2019, in an effort to demonstrate that cars can drive over them immediately after a tool called the “pothole killer” is finished filling them. 

• Moderators
On 6/30/2019 at 1:39 PM, polizzio said:

Not due to Cali emissions exclusively, due to the silicon microchip development. Computer control has made massive strides in gasoline engine efficiency and combustion control, and performance. Direct fuel injection, precision combustion timing, live constant tailpipe emissions (oxygen), cylinder deactivation, cam phasing and variable "on the fly" cam timing. And refined/precision manufacturing of many key physical components. All brought about by the rapid evolution of the silicon chip and microprocessors. CNC machining, robotics building new vehicles, R&D, and engineering/modeling. Computers have revolutionized our lives right in front of us in so many ways, and continue to do so.

Now I will say Cali was instrumental in the development and evolution of microprocessors. Many of the leaders in this industry started in CA. They don't call it Silicon Valley for nothing.

Not sure about chip technology as it was in '72 when they enacted the toughest air quality and emissions standards in the world

One witness stood out, a man from Japan who flew in for the hearings and told them his company  could deliver a car in full compliance with their regulations the very next year (3 years before the proposed deadline), and the US Automakers were lying to them, not only was it feasible they had it ready to go.  "What Company you with" he was asked, "Honda" was his response.  They shipped cars that not only met the regs, they exceeded them, at a lower cost.  By the time the deadlines came in, all US cars had a California emissions option/package.  There was a tiny window where you could bring in cars from out of state and slip them by, but that loophole was eventually closed and precluded.

Travis 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, babadono said:

The second biggest lie ever told. The first "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"

Thats one of my favorite Ronald Reagan quotes -- guess who signed into law in 1967 the toughest air quality controls of any state in order to address the air quality in LA?

Tax policy at the state and local level typically isn't a political issue; it is simply one way, among many, to implement public policy.  Who should pay for things like schools, roads, police, etc. is the overarching public policy consideration.  

Then there are policy issues on how to discourage consumption.  If you tax sin, there will be less of it is one example. Should property owners fund the majority of the budget, or income earners?  How much should consumers pay (sales tax), on what items (food, medicine, magazines, is a Snickers food? Coke?), services (legal fees, doctor bills). Do we give a tax credit for more efficient A/C unit, Zero Emission Vehicles?  

Special interests, with really no political ax to grind one way or the other, battle over tax policy every session, and it is more about having the other person pay, or I am paying double, etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/30/2019 at 10:59 AM, polizzio said:

Yes, please don't make it a political party discussion or flinging poop, not my intention. I mean that is just some serious taxes on a gallon of gas. $1 more than most of us. You guys who live in CA, what do CA residents/citizens reap from this? What benefits?

Or share what the cost of a gallon of gasoline is right now in your locale.

They reap two things from a microeconomic standpoint.

First, they know they need to improve and maintain existing roads, and build new ones.  They have determined that people who use the roads should pay the majority of that expense so they tax fuel.  

Secondary they encourage the purchase of better mileage vehicles and even vehicles that use no gas or diesel  like electric or NG.  That results in lower emissions and better air.

• Like 1

California actually spends the gas tax on highways and public transportation. On occasion a few governors like Schwartzeneger have raided the transportation fund for other things, but these funds are not part of the general budget. Given the size of the state California has some of the best highways in the country. Sure there are places that need more work (I’m looking at you I-5) but by and large roads get improved in California without crazy toll schemes to fund them. I took the express lanes in Dallas going to Pilgrimage this year. $40 in tolls.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

California actually spends the gas tax on highways and public transportation. On occasion a few governors like Schwartzeneger have raided the transportation fund for other things, but these funds are not part of the general budget. Given the size of the state California has some of the best highways in the country. Sure there are places that need more work (I’m looking at you I-5) but by and large roads get improved in California without crazy toll schemes to fund them. I took the express lanes in Dallas going to Pilgrimage this year. $40 in tolls.

That is another example of policy choice, charge tax on gas, or a toll.  Tolls are very big, for a long time, in Eastern US.  The tolls go up.

I remember when the toll went to a dollar to cross Golden Gate Bridge, people were in an uproar, wonder how much it is now.

Use the bridge, pay, use the roads pay, unless you get electric or NG.

Every road that goes from Texas into Louisiana is night and day different,  as soon as you cross into Louisiana.   You can see it, and you can feel it. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

I don’t go around insulting where everyone else on here lives. These kind of topics are like a big middle finger to the people who do live here. There’s exactly three places in the US I can do the kind of work I do for some of the best companies in the world. This is the place I choose. If it’s not the right choice for you then fine. But it’s way better than most of the places I’ve lived.

I introduced myself to my group tour guide at Pilgrimage this year. His response when he heard where was, “I’m sorry. When are you moving?” This was someone I thought I respected. Honestly if I hadn’t flown 3000 miles just to hear Jubilees I probably would have just left.

I’m getting a little tired of California being used a proxy for everything a certain subset of the members here dislike about the other half of the country that disagree with them.

Shhhhh, you are blowing the secret plan on how to keep people from moving there.

The guy on your tour, you should have told him, "move, like where here?"  But give him a break, he lives in Arkansas,  in a town where 50% live below poverty level, what else is he going to say?

Anybody who is a major player in aerospace, automotive manufacturing, or high tech is either based in California, or has a major presence there.  You know it, they know it, and so all they can do is knock it because they are never, ever going to be able to live there.

They sure will come to Napa, the City, Yosemite,  Monterey Bay, fricken Disneyland etc. in droves.

Just tell them the truth,  "the place sucks, don't believe what you hear about the best weather, incredible beauty,  and all the rest, it's all a Hollywood trick, stay away, you will thank me later."

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Shhhhh, you are blowing the secret plan on how to keep people from moving there.

The guy on your tour, you should have told him, "move, like where here?"  But give him a break, he lives in Arkansas,  in a town where 50% live below poverty level, what else is he going to say?

Anybody who is a major player in aerospace, automotive manufacturing, or high tech is either based in California, or has a major presence there.  You know it, they know it, and so all they can do is knock it because they are never, ever going to be able to live there.

They sure will come to Napa, the City, Yosemite,  Monterey Bay, fricken Disneyland etc. in droves.

Just tell them the truth,  "the place sucks, don't believe what you hear about the best weather, incredible beauty,  and all the rest, it's all a Hollywood trick, stay away, you will thank me later."

Yeah I immediately regretted my post and removed it. 

• Sad 1

This is what I think, take it or leave it. I live in Cal, it was work that brought me here. There were NO jobs for a new grad from electronic tech school anywhere else in 1980. I love it here except for the cost of living. It is very hard to make it day to day on a middle class salary.(the good things my family enjoy are because my wife worked as a nurse for 20 years). I THINK MenloBob probably makes a good salary (>middle class)and this tempers his view of life in Cal.

• Like 1