Southeast Michigan Gathering

DizRotus

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I think it should happen over several weekends to accommodate everyone at some point. My setup is ALL horns, with Klipsch and Danley, plus one of my own design, which will be built by the time y'all get here. As of yesterday, I now have a Baltic Birch flat pack which, when assembled, will give me Identical Twin TH-50 proto subs against the front wall, doubling as "speaker stands that make low bass too," which I have now but they are Fraternal Twins, not identical. LOL. The rear wall "6 foot speaker stand that makes ever LOWER sub bass (13 Hz.) will hold up a pair of KP-250's as channels 6 and 7 for HT. Basically, at the touch of a button, I can play demos for either 2-channel or HT freaks, or both. Let there be Atmos!

My systems are completely different, as in I'm all about analog and the simplest pathway to the music. No room correction, active crossovers or anything else in the way of the signal path.All tube amplification. 2 channel only. I don't even use subwoofers, even though I have them. It should be interesting to see how different people use different approaches to get the sound they desire. There is no right or wrong in this hobby, just a bazillion different paths to travel.

Aug. 10 works for me also, plus I'm open for more dates. Maybe split the metro Detroit locations for one day, and the further north for another?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinmi said:

My systems are completely different, as in I'm all about analog and the simplest pathway to the music. No room correction, active crossovers or anything else in the way of the signal path.All tube amplification. 2 channel only. I don't even use subwoofers, even though I have them. It should be interesting to see how different people use different approaches to get the sound they desire. There is no right or wrong in this hobby, just a bazillion different paths to travel.

Personal choice that ignores the 90% reverberant and DOMINATING sound field of the ROOM. This varies greatly with seated position, even by a few inches (for those of us who measured it). Whether analog or digital mastering in the RECORDING, there is good and bad in both camps. But the greatest impact on what you year, no mater what is the PRODUCTION of music, regardless of delivery format, analog or digital.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 10:04 AM, kevinmi said:

Aug. 10 works for me also, plus I'm open for more dates. Maybe split the metro Detroit locations for one day, and the further north for another?

I was thinking the same thing.  On 8/10 we do a brief stop in Birmingham to listen to my pair of DIY Super Heresys and four DIY Anarchy Exodus tapped horns subs driven by class D chip amps fed by a Pono player in a small Basement space.  If Brett @bhenry is willing, stopping in Berkley to hear his Klipschorns with sealed subs (I think).  Then finish the Oakland County day at Claude’s @ClaudeJ1 in Pontiac. 

The Genesee County stops would do more justice to those systems on a separate weekend.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I was thinking the same thing.  On 8/10 we do a brief stop in Birmingham to listen to my pair of DIY Super Heresys and four DIY Anarchy Exodus tapped horns subs driven by class D chip amps fed by a Pono player in a small Basement space.  If Brett @bhenry is willing, stopping in Berkley to hear his Klipschorns with sealed subs (Ithink).  Then finish the Oakland County day at Claude’s @ClaudeJ1 in Pontiac. 

The Genesee County stops would do more justice to those systems on a separate weekend.

I'm good with that plan.

I will host the preliminary at my home in Birmingham on Saturday August 10.  The start time, probably ~ 11, will be determined by whether any other stops are scheduled before concluding at Claude’s in Pontiac. Food and drink will be provided.

Now that the basement toilet renovation is nearly completed and the AC has been replaced, this will give me the motivation to straighten up my tiny man-cave.  If time permits, I’ll try to get a turntable back online so vinyl is an option.  After seeing Thelma Houston recently, I promised my wife she could hear I’ve Got The Music In Me off the Sheffield Labs disc.

Please let me know if you plan to attend. All are welcome.  Please don’t feel slighted if you aren’t among those specifically alerted.  Please contact any others who might be interested. PM for details and to RSVP.

@ClaudeJ1 @bhenry @kevinmi @Escher @mopardave @teaman @Audio Flynn @NOS Valves @whell @Pete H

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Please let me know if you plan to attend. All are welcome.  Please don’t feel slighted if you aren’t among those specifically alerted.  Please contact any others who might be interested. PM for details and to RSVP.

You can pencil me in. I can pick up other members and we can ride down together if anyone wants to share a ride in my big 'ol 4 door Caddy!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

You can pencil me in. I can pick up other members and we can ride down together if anyone wants to share a ride in my big 'ol 4 door Caddy!

We'll hit Claude's--near Telegraph and M-59--on your way back north.

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

After seeing Thelma Houston recently, I promised my wife she could hear I’ve Got The Music In Me off the Sheffield Labs disc.

I have the CD version of Thelma, (and 2 copies on LP, but no turntable hooked up). If that is a common demo. But I also have "the usual," including 4 CD's that Klipsch uses to voice their speakers. plus tons of other stuff that showcase different instruments, voices, etc. from top to bottom, so it may only be short excerpts.

On 7/3/2019 at 7:33 PM, Sancho Panza said:

ONLY Kid Rock song I like.

Hmmm the area he sings about in the song is right where I live now and grew up... he's still seen hanging in the bars around here now and then. The area really hasn't changed all that much wish I could say the same thing about southeast Michigan!@

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 7:33 PM, Sancho Panza said:

ONLY Kid Rock song I like.

You’re one ahead of me.

Apologies to @kevinmi who beat me to the punch. I hadn’t seen his post.  Nevertheless, the sentiment is real, not just a smartass comment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Under pressure to be ready to host the first leg of the gathering, I finally finished putting my Texas Instruments TPA3255EVM class D amp into  a case. As this will only be used to play music from a Pono player in balanded mode, the inputs are XLR.  To feed two iNuke 1000 class D amps powering the subs (not hooked up in the photo) the inputs pass through the case to XLR outputs at the rear.  That signal will then be split to be shared by the two iNukes; each will power a pair of DIY Anarchy Exodus TH subs.

Honestly, the TPA3255 seems to sound somewhat better than the TDA3118 Wiener Class D amp seen in the photo.  Switching quickly between the two is difficult.  In any case, I've enjoyed the Wiener for over a year while the TPS3225 project was neglected.  Since the subs aren't easily implemented while usining the Wiener, I was compelled to complete the TPA3255 project to be ably to include the subs at th gathering.  Only fellow DIYers can appreciate the thrill of powering up a project and getting sound withou smoke on the first try.

Time permittinhg, I hope to have the Wiener setup with a TT for the vinyl fans.  It will power HIPs outside on the deck or upstairs in the living room, depending upon the weather.  I suppose I can also make a CD/DVD player available.

If you plan to attend on Saturday 8/10/19, please send a PM so that info can be easily exchanged by email and/or text/phone.  Feel free to RSVP even if you aren't specifically alerted as follows.  @ClaudeJ1, @bhenry, @kevinmi, @Escher, @mopardave, @teaman, @Audio Flynn, @NOS Valves, @whell, @Pete H, & @picky

TPA3225EVM.thumb.jpg.f97482699864649f59c534ceac680069.jpg

Listening to the TPA3255 after all this time reminds me of why I let Rich @rhing corrupt me into getting the TI board, after first introducing me to the TDA7297–which I now use as microphone pre-amp—then pushing the Wiener before recommending the TI board.  I could be satisfied with the Wiener as  my only 2-channel amp, but theTPA3255 sounds sweet.

You'll be enjoying the Hypex amps in 2 channel when you get here. Working on finishing Super Heresy 2.0 and rear Super Tapped Horn for surround. If you want any more children after this, you'll be asked to step out on the porch during the Plane Crash Demo from "Flight of the Phoenix."

Please RSVP by PM including ways to contact you by email, text, and/or phone regarding this gathering.  Given the recent unavailability of the Klipsch forum, it is especially important that communication outside the forum is possible.

All forum members are welcome at my home in Birmingham as early as 10:00AM EDT on Saturday 8/10.  A light lunch and beverages will be provided.  In order to gauge the need for food and beverages, it is necessary to have a realistic idea of the attendance.

ASAP please RSVP by PM.  I have spoken to some included in the notifications below.  If you have already told me you’re attending, you need not do so again, but if your plans change please let me know.  I want to have enough, but not too much, food and beverages.

After lunch we travel to Pontiac to experience Claude’s amazing system.

Thank you,

Neil

@ClaudeJ1, @bhenry, @kevinmi, @Escher, @mopardave, @teaman, @Audio Flynn, @NOS Valves, @whell, @Pete H, @Treyphan, & @picky

7 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I haven't heard of anyone else from my area going, have you? I'd hate to drive down all by myself.

Kevin-

Rumor has it that Escher and Mopardave might attend, but no firm comments.  Please contact them directly to inquire.  A little arm twisting couldn’t hurt.

Riding together makes sense on several levels.  Parking here and at Claude’s is limited.  Plus it provides an additional opportunity to get to know local members.

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

Kevin-

Rumor has it that Escher and Mopardave might attend, but no firm comments.  Please contact them directly to inquire.  A little arm twisting couldn’t hurt.

I'll pm them right now.