Southeast Michigan Gathering

DizRotus

Feel free to bring anything you want to demo, such as speakers, amps, etc.  

Be warned that my main system uses a Pono in balanced mode as the source for a class-D amp, also in balanced mode.  Connecting unbalanced sources, although possible, is problematic, to the point of it ain’t gonna happen.

That said, I plan to have another non-balanced amp connected to a pair of HIPs in a different space.  Weather permitting, a system could be set up on the deck.  Bring as little or as much as you like.  Just know that the logistics of incorporating your contributions might be difficult.

After my Spartan system, Claude’s MEH and multi sub system will more than satisfy the equipment junkies.  Claude shoots for absolute best;  my target is best bang for the buck.

Neil

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Claude shoots for absolute best;  my target is best bang for the buck.

That will certainly be a good gathering seeing both priorities' results, not to mention connecting with forum folk. Wish I could make it but not possible that weekend.

• Sad 1

EVERYthing happens for a reason right???  81 LS rebuilt and sound great.  Then a pair of 81 Heresy VERY minty and sounded great, nice price but a 5 hour round trip run.  Yup, leave them alone and find a pair of 81 Cornwalls in great shape and you've got 1981 covered!  Purrrrrfect!  One day I noticed the "de-clawed" cat pawing the front of one so pulled the grill covers off thinking that would end that.  I told my kids NO ANIMALS here yet I got stuck w/a cat from the oldest daughter.  Grrrr  Soooo, to make a long story short I wake up this morning to this:

Heresey1.jpg

Mr. Prosecuter please let me enter this as exhibit A and note paw prints on bottom of dusty horn, which led to the cat falling downward THRU the cone of the woofer.

I hereby request the death penalty!

• She really is a nice kitty and I'd be happy to bring her along next weekend!   😂  😂  😂  😎

On 7/30/2019 at 8:11 PM, Rivernuggets said:

That will certainly be a good gathering seeing both priorities' results, not to mention connecting with forum folk. Wish I could make it but not possible that weekend.

Wish you coud make it too.

15 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

EVERYthing happens for a reason right???  81 LS rebuilt and sound great.  Then a pair of 81 Heresy VERY minty and sounded great, nice price but a 5 hour round trip run.  Yup, leave them alone and find a pair of 81 Cornwalls in great shape and you've got 1981 covered!  Purrrrrfect!  One day I noticed the "de-clawed" cat pawing the front of one so pulled the grill covers off thinking that would end that.  I told my kids NO ANIMALS here yet I got stuck w/a cat from the oldest daughter.  Grrrr  Soooo, to make a long story short I wake up this morning to this:

Heresey1.jpg

Mr. Prosecuter please let me enter this as exhibit A and note paw prints on bottom of dusty horn, which led to the cat falling downward THRU the cone of the woofer.

I hereby request the death penalty!

• She really is a nice kitty and I'd be happy to bring her along next weekend!   😂  😂  😂  😎

As a former prosecutor, I must remind you the Judge rules on admitting exhibits, not the prosecutor.  That said, the evidence is damning.  The cat will probably be happier remaining in Ohio, I know that will make me happy.

I can recommend a local guy to recone your Heresys.  

• Thanks 1

Getting ready for next Saturday was not complicated enough, so I decided to complicate things further by making vinyl playback on the HIP system an option.  That requires a minor service on a Technics TT and locating the PS for the phono preamp I got from @billybob years ago.  To avoid possibly damaging my Denon DL-110 MC cartridge (stylus can’t be replaced), I'll use the Ortofon LM 30 given to me by Carl @CECAA850.  This way, Billy Bob and Carl can be attendees in spirit.

A37EC56E-DD3D-46D5-8798-BAE3034479DD.jpeg

IMG_0833 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great choice of after cat repair music. My daughter's cat peed on both of my VMPS Large Subs. when they were laying behind my MWM stacks about 10 years ago, with the Grilles facing up. You have NOT experienced real cat damage until you see what Cat Urine can do to a voice coil and steel, not to mention the SMELL. It's like someone poured sufuric acid on all my woofer drivers, totally NASTY, and deformed. I noticed that the low bass was less and less during movies, it happened gradually, so I'm sure those sub drivers worked that urine into the voice coil gap real good!! Had to throw them out and the cabinets. It was about $2,000 to get new ones, but thankfully, I had only, paid $700 for them used. I had visions of stomping that cat's head flat wearing my work boots, and throwing it in the garbage!! BUT, I loved my daughter more than I hated the cat, so it survived until she graduated with high honors from Michigan State about 6 months later. After that episode I moved on to Tapped Horn Subs..............and a no cat policy! LOL

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Getting ready for next Saturday was not complicated enough, so I decided to complicate things further by making vinyl playback on the HIP system an option

I just bought 100+ lps from an estate sale for $30.00, all in nm condition. Maybe I'll bring some along.

• Like 1

As is often the case, the project to get a Technics turntable back into service was more complicated, and took longer, than expected.  After the motor failed to operate properly, I had to go to my Tecnics scrapyard and take the motor from a “parts” machine.  Then the cables needed to be resoldered.  After several hours I was able to use Carl’s Ortofon cartridge and Billy Bob’s phono preamp to play vinyl.

@CECAA850 @billybob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Let me kmow how the cart works out for you.

It sounded excellent.  I first tested the repaired TT by playing a pristine copy of Barbara Streisand’s Stoney End that was included in a bunch of vinyl from my late sister’s estate.  Once satisfied no harm would be done to vinyl I valued, I played I’ve Got The Music In Me off a Sheffield Lab direct to disc recording.  I’d promised my wife I’d play that as soon as a turntable was functional.  We recently saw Thelma Houston in concert.

Thanks again Carl.

• Like 1

Starting my morning with a Danish . . . cartridge, that is.  Not being conversant in millinewtons, yesterday I guessed at a tracking force of 1.5 grams.  Turns out, 8-12 mN is .82 - 1.22 grams.  I’ll have to dial it back a bit.  I’ll find my Shure Audio Obstacle Course test LP and see how the Ortofon performs.

image.jpg