Advice requested - 402s or 600m for 7.1?

Eroxx

Hi!

I’ve recently upgraded to an improved system with two 8000 towers, and a 504c center. 

My sides and rears will be between 3-5 get from MLP. I also plan on getting Atmos enabled speakers down the road  

So here’s my question - for sides and backs, I’m reading different things about getting monopoles (600m) or wide dispersion such as 402s. 

I was thinking about going two and two, with the 402s as side surrounds and 600s as rears, but wanted to get some advice and thoughts ... thanks so much!!

@Islander hi , whats is difference for you ?

14 hours ago, Islander said:

402s are not speakers, they're just horns.  They come with drivers, but they have no cabinets, and they should have an active electronic crossover to EQ them.

@Heritage_Head I would like upgrade my Klipsch Surround and surround back RB-41 II..what do you recommend?

@Eroxx good question? same I have ..bought 2 RP -280F ..that's amazing!! I need upgrade surround next..

Home theater 7.2.4 

AVR Marantz 7012 

Bluray 4k Panasonic DP ub820 

Front  klipsch Rp-280F

Klipsch Center RP 504C  

Subwoofer klipsch R-110SW

Subwoofer SVS PB 1000

Klipsch Surround and surround back RB-41 II

Klipsch Dolby Atmos Rp 140SA front

Klipsch Dolby Atmos Rp  500SA back

Panamax MR4300

Emotiva BasX A-700 (only 4 channels used, 2 pair Dolby Atmos front and back )

living Room size 13 x 31 (403 sq feet complete) (used front TV is 13 x 12 sq feet)

2 minutes ago, angelluisg said:

@Islander hi , whats is difference for you ?

@Heritage_Head I would like upgrade my Klipsch Surround and surround back RB-41 II..what do you recommend?

@Eroxx good question? same I have ..bought 2 RP -280F ..that's amazing!! I need upgrade surround next..

Home theater 7.2.4 

AVR Marantz 7012 

Bluray 4k Panasonic DP ub820 

Front  klipsch Rp-280F

Klipsch Center RP 504C  

Subwoofer klipsch R-110SW

Subwoofer SVS PB 1000

Klipsch Surround and surround back RB-41 II

Klipsch Dolby Atmos Rp 140SA front

Klipsch Dolby Atmos Rp  500SA back

Panamax MR4300

Emotiva BasX A-700 (only 4 channels used, 2 pair Dolby Atmos front and back )

living Room size 13 x 31 (403 sq feet complete) (used front TV is 13 x 12 sq feet)

Hello sir..

I do better if I have a pic of the room (this goes to the op as well). With that said I would give the same advise. Based on what you have upfront the rp-504/402 on the sides. The rb41 will work fine as rears. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 3:31 PM, Eroxx said:

So here’s my question - for sides and backs, I’m reading different things about getting monopoles (600m) or wide dispersion such as 402s. 

I was thinking about going two and two, with the 402s as side surrounds and 600s as rears, but wanted to get some advice and thoughts ... thanks so much!!

There are different trains of thought.  

1. For a modern Atmos speaker, it's most correct to have direct radiating monopoles for all surrounds.  

2. Traditionally speaking the Dolby recommended setup for a 7.1 system is dispersed / bipole type of surrounds on the side but direct radiating monopoles in the rear.  

3. Regardless of any recommendations, a direct radiating horn from 3 feet away isn't exactly the most comfortable thing ever so you may want to avoid such things and just go with the RP-402S or 502S for both sides and rears, which plenty of people do.  

• Like 1