Grandpas hair........

Bosco-d-gama

Wondering if others are experiencing what I am noticing. With age I am starting to look A-LOT like my maternal grandfather. The upside to that is hair. I have the guys hair right down to particular wave patterns. Honestly I find it creepy as I did not really like the man much. He was quite stern and if you crossed him he could be pretty violent. He called it a ‘thrashing’ - a pretty apt description. I never got thrashed because I saw my brother and cousin get thrashed. So I walked on eggs around gramps.......... and now I look more like him every day. It is like he’s haunting me. Ewwww🥴

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Genetics can be surprising and not always in a good way.

My maternal grandfather had very thick hair that grows very fast and so do I. But my mother had fine hair?

I remember when I was a little kid my grandfather would take me with him to his barber, I can remember the barber saying I must be related we had the same thick hair. Our 3 daughters also have thick hair so you seem to be correct. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah........ well with the ‘good’ hair comes gramps awful hearing and his difficult cardiac status. I always assumed gramps was hard of hearing due to his career in carpentry...... but that does not seem to be the case. Anyway - I got the heart fixed up for now.

• Moderators

I don't remember any hearing problems with my grandfather, he did have a little skin cancer which I had already. But he did live well into his 90s, so I'm hoping.

But the other side of the family I have less than a year to be the oldest living male ever, I am almost 62, my dad is the one I am trying to beat with the age thing, his dad died when he was so young he didn't remember him.

Of all of my relatives this particular one faired the worse when it came to health and longevity. However, methinx he died prematurely because he allowed his heart conditions to become advanced and then he started having clot related strokes. Everybody else lived long and reasonably healthy. My own parents are both still living (so to speak). Dad turns 90 this October and mom is hot on his heels. No one ever surpassed 100...... 

I was about 6 or 7 when both of my grandfathers passed away. I vaguely remember them. One was in his mid 80s, the other was in his mid 90s when passing. My Dad passed away at 89. I did benefit from my dad's full head of hair. I resemble my dad.

Guessing some families started much earlier than others. I knew several of my great grandparents. My parents were early birds. Mom was 15 whence mine elder brother was hatched. I am 2 years his junior. I broke that trend. Waited til my late 30’s for the family deal.

I hope genetics skips a generation or three.

Maternal Grandmother:  Had massive stroke, left her essentially brain dead but breathing.

Maternal Grandfather:  Had alzheimers

Paternal Grandmother:  Died of cancer

Paternal Grandfather:  Died of cancer

Mother:  Had alzheimers

Father:  Still alive & kicking turning 90 this year (if he makes it) and doesn't even take as much as an aspirin....  in amazing health.

So, if I ever start acting even more weird than I currently might.....  well....  I forget what I was going to say.