When it's time to walk away ..........

joessportster

Interesting that you posted this topic Joe. The Mrs. and  I had a similar discussion about this the other day. After owning our system for over 14 years, I can say that it's alright to "walk" away from it for a while. Even if a "while" happens to be a couple years.

There have been times where the system has sat dormant for months either in storage, or while away from home. Good sound is timeless in that regard...like a good book, just pick up where you left off. 

• Like 2

I came here almost 8 years ago. Just asking for some set up help with my new to me Best Buy Icon speakers. Those didn't last long after the RF7II buying frenzy I saw in here. And then I discovered that 8 letter word "Heritage" and got the bug again.

Stumbled upon a deal on some Belle's and have been content ever since......NO MORE SPEAKERS!

I would like to hear some tube gear someday,  but I know that would just open up another rabbit hole...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to focus on building the most impressive system I could afford so that I could show off for normies. The problem was that everyone I had over couldn't care less and were never actually impressed. They thought it was neat that I had big speakers, but none of my friends or guests are audiophiles and as such won't sit for a proper listening session.

So I scrapped it and tweaked my goals. I've spent the last few years pursuing really good sound reproduction that can be used for both movies and music, rather than best for XYZ budget in one discipline or the other. As a result, I've got some really nice gear that sounds really good together, handles both types of media well, and is used DAILY. I spend my time now on finding new music or movies to enjoy on the system.

I could use some room treatments and maybe some additional time with REW, but overall the system sounds good and makes me happy. I don't find myself wondering about what another piece might sound like or if my system is shitty compared to other guys on the forum. I care a little bit, but generally don't.

• Like 3

I got a pair of used La Scalas back in 2006, and joined this forum a few months later.  The upgrades started soon after that...

Now, in 2019, I’ve got a system beyond my dreams.  In the beginning, I didn’t even know some of this stuff existed, but I’m glad to have it.  As well, the connections I’ve made here have allowed me to save thousands, so no regrets there, plus it’s always great to make new friends.  The sound is now so satisfying that I don’t know what I’d buy next.  I wander into our few high-end shops and wander out again, with my wallet still in my pocket.  It’s time to just listen and appreciate what I have, and how it can present music to me so well.

Thanks, Klipsch, and thanks, Klipsch Forum!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Islander said:

I got a pair of used La Scalas back in 2006, and joined this forum a few months later.  The upgrades started soon after that...

Now, in 2019, I’ve got a system beyond my dreams.  In the beginning, I didn’t even know some of this stuff existed, but I’m glad to have it.  As well, the connections I’ve made here have allowed me to save thousands, so no regrets there, plus it’s always great to make new friends.  The sound is now so satisfying that I don’t know what I’d buy next.  I wander into our few high-end shops and wander out again, with my wallet still in my pocket.  It’s time to just listen and appreciate what I have, and how it can present music to me so well.

Thanks, Klipsch, and thanks, Klipsch Forum!

+1 Agreed 

Some of these stories are like a repeat of my life.  I was into music long before ever joining Klipsch Forums. My Phase linear and Onkyo 504 amps kept kicking out on my infinity RSiiiB speakers and it was damn aggravating to say the least.  So I went on a seek and destroy mission and happened on the forums. I did not know what a forum was, I had never posted a single line on the net, barely knew how to use a pc. That was in 2004, I learned my speakers were the issue dropping down to below 2 ohms and tripping safety. I promptly sold the infinity that I loved and had lusted after for many years. I bought Cornwalls and was blown away so much so I bought Herseys,  placed on top ran in parallel Willie Nelson was standing in my room playing "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" Even my Dad was impressed.

Then I get the invite to Gary MD's House for a listen to K-Horns and Tubes.....................I went home opened the rabbit hole and dove in head first, I went on a mission that has spanned all these years. I have had I would bet 50+ different amps, Several Pre-Amps, Countless source components, Every speaker in the heritage line SEVERAL times over, except Chorus, Fortee and Jubilee. 

I have just now 15 years later & untold thousands of $$ decided its time to set back and enjoy / Listen. As many here I have made friends and gained untold amounts of knowledge. 

"What a Long Strange Trip it's Been"  Though worth It IMHO.....................

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Some of these stories are like a repeat of my life.  I was into music long before ever joining Klipsch Forums. My Phase linear and Onkyo 504 amps kept kicking out on my infinity RSiiiB speakers and it was damn aggravating to say the least.  So I went on a seek and destroy mission and happened on the forums. I did not know what a forum was, I had never posted a single line on the net, barely knew how to use a pc. That was in 2004, I learned my speakers were the issue dropping down to below 2 ohms and tripping safety. I promptly sold the infinity that I loved and had lusted after for many years. I bought Cornwalls and was blown away so much so I bought Herseys,  placed on top ran in parallel Willie Nelson was standing in my room playing "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" Even my Dad was impressed.

Then I get the invite to Gary MD's House for a listen to K-Horns and Tubes.....................I went home opened the rabbit hole and dove in head first, I went on a mission that has spanned all these years. I have had I would bet 50+ different amps, Several Pre-Amps, Countless source components, Every speaker in the heritage line SEVERAL times over, except Chorus, Fortee and Jubilee. 

I have just now 15 years later & untold thousands of $$ decided its time to set back and enjoy / Listen. As many here I have made friends and gained untold amounts of knowledge. 

"What a Long Strange Trip it's Been"  Though worth It IMHO.....................

Lmao dude....

I bought some Infinity 3 way floor standing speakers (kappa something from the 90s). They did the same thing to my early 80s Sony ES amp. Every time I turned it up the amp would click off and the green light would blink red. That amp had been hooked up to many speakers never did that until them. And never after them.

I love this forum but.... its a bad place to be if your an audio/speaker nut and don't want to spend any money. 

1 minute ago, fastpuce271 said:

Because sometimes in a purchase decision money is not the only factor..... 

Please elaborate.  And to be clear for some audio is an addiction and purchases are made regardless of the ability to afford those purchases.

• Like 1