When it's time to walk away ..........

joessportster

57 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Please elaborate.  And to be clear for some audio is an addiction and purchases are made regardless of the ability to afford those purchases.

Hi Tarheel

Many examples come to mind,

Just one example would be, i dunno, lets say for argument sake you are listening to a pair of La Scalas at a Home Theatre show and you are like WOW, however you know there is no way they would be suitable for your room , like your room is way too small to fit those speakers, so, you may love the sound of them, you may be able to afford them however you may need to walk away from that purchase.  this is just one example that the decision is only impacting on one self.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I have 3 Ampexs

When I lived in Memphis ('75-'80), I tried to get Sam Phillips to sell me a 1 inch 8 track Ampex they still had. He wouldn't sell, which was probably a good thing for me. The first studio I recorded at used Scully 4 track machines.

• Like 2

My name is Gary...and I have a problem.  I rarely check in the site anymore because I always find something I want to go buy.  I have plenty of good equipment.  I listen regularly.  I also want a luxman,  parasound, schiit freya and vidar monoblocks or the new class A monoblocks. McIntosh  ... plus maybe a mohican cd player.  🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Infinity speakers

giphy.gif

No I dont think Infinity speakers are garbage, Infact just the opposite. They were (Back in the day) some of the best sounding speakers on the market, Poor crossover design perhaps. likely easy to drive actively crossed and Bi or tri-amped. Had I known then what I know now who knows what I may have ended up with

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, joessportster said:

No I dont think Infinity speakers are garbage, Infact just the opposite. They were (Back in the day) some of the best sounding speakers on the market, Poor crossover design perhaps. likely easy to drive actively crossed and Bi or tri-amped. Had I known then what I know now who knows what I may have ended up with

I have a pair of Reference Standard 2.5's sitting here that I love.  The ONLY problem I've ever had were with the EMIM's, which seems to be across the board with those that bought them.  When H-K bought them out they stopped making replacements.  You can get replacements today but they're pricey.  LS were ALWAYS my first choice but I couldn't refuse the Infinity when offered to me.  IF anyone's interested just HMU!  We're dealin!  NO garbage truck for these and I'm sooo not delivering them!  :)  

• Like 1

I have a few projects left, some with sons-in-law and brother-in-law.  They're all working and I'm retired so I dream up ways to spend their money instead of mine.  But, this forum ...  Just when I think I'm cured... @MenloBob 's KLF-510 ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  Also, when I see the work by @No.4 ... UGH it makes me want to involve the sons-in-law in some DIY (I'd like one last simple SS power amp).  I'm nearly cured once I get those 5 projects done.

• Like 1

I'll try and answer the OP's question or dilemma from my perspective and let me start off by saying I'm on the long side of 70 years old and have had audio gear since my early 20s.  I think my hearing is still pretty good but have nothing really to base that on.

Like most of you I have gone through some gear and till just recently thought I was done.  I really don't listen to music as much as I use to and when my bud bluesboy move to the other coast we no longer had our regular Saturday recording sessions where we made compilation tapes from different media.  We would have a drink or two as well😑

Recently I was talking to a forum member, who after an extended absence started posting again, and we were bringing each other up to date on our gear.  I told him I recently had a stylus give up the ghost and while removing the cartridge a wire broke.  Since there were no repair shops locally I bought a new turn table (Rega), a new MC cartridge (Hana) and a phono preamp (Schiit).  I left it at that in my conversation with my forum bud saying I was just replacing what was broken.  Later the same morning I thought.....that's not true.  I recalled the ATI 1502 amp I bought at Carl's recommendation and the Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers I bought at Claude's suggestion just this year!  Then when the tone arm is rewired I will have to buy another cartridge.........

So where was I?  At 70 we start to ramble😄  I guess the moral to my story is.........if you ever get bit by the audio bug at whatever age you most likely will continue the search for the "holy grail" till you either go broke or deaf.  You may leave for awhile but like Al Pacino said "just when I thought I was out you pull me back in".

• Like 5

5 hours ago, joessportster said:

Agree to dissage 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1