When it's time to walk away ..........

joessportster

Setting here Listening & thinking Today.............

I swear the audio bug is a nasty critter. There seems to always be the next best piece waiting in the wings to persuade us that we must be missing something.  For me I have had a few setups where I swore I was through. Familiarity always seemed to breed contempt and I was back on the net looking for my next High.  (I feel like a drug addict)

Today I have surprised myself, My current speakers have withstood the test of time "For Me" (Had the basic same speaker setup for over 18 months, Thats gotta be some kind of record).  Now my amps, Pre, and source have all hit a stride where I am more impressed with the SQ than I can recall being in the past.  In fact a few systems that others owned which I always found myself attempting to compare myself to,  now those memories seem lacking by comparison.  I have seen a couple tempting pieces and I was for a first time (in memory) able to constrain myself.

Have I finally found my version of audio Nirvana ?  The fact that I am happy with all aspects of reproduction and I can not think of a way to improve upon anything would seem to make it so. How about the fact I can now listen to new Genre of music at length and find that enjoyable ?

I have 3 or 4 pieces to move along to the next owner, at which time I seriously think its time I walk away. Put down the internet Audio bug, find something more constructive to do with my time. make a pact that from now forward I only buy new (To Me) vinyl. Add to my small collection.  Will that satisfy my Habit ?  I'm Hoping so !

Anyone else feel like an addict ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I'm not sure I've found Nirvana, audio or otherwise, but my hearing is on a plateau and it's down hill from there. The various audio systems I use are all more than adequate. I do wish to have bass horns someday, simply for the very low distortion and dynamics, which I can appreciate even if my hearing rolls off about 13 Khz or so. So, I've invested what I need to, and aside from some tinkering and experimentation for own curiosity, this is it.

1 minute ago, boom3 said:

Well, I'm not sure I've found Nirvana, audio or otherwise, but my hearing is on a plateau and it's down hill from there. The various audio systems I use are all more than adequate. I do wish to have bass horns someday, simply for the very low distortion and dynamics, which I can appreciate even if my hearing rolls off about 13 Khz or so. So, I've invested what I need to, and aside from some tinkering and experimentation for own curiosity, this is it.

My hearing cuts off at 10KHZ but being how old I am I have adjusted my expectations.

JJK

• Like 1

I've pretty much stopped buying gear myself, but sometimes I'll buy new tubes or a pair of crossovers. I'm tweaking and spending my money on vinyl reissues.I do have a pair of custom K-Horns waiting to be built in the barn...

I modded up a set of K's a few years back that have kept me content.  I did buy a new Pre/Pro a few months ago that did add a little magic.  As far as new speakers go,  I think I am done unless I find a set of Jub's at a flea market 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm starting to read lips pretty well but still get a bit lost when someone tug's their ear and gives me the two-syllable thingy on their arm.   Aside from that, I find my LP collection continuing to grow with a mix of the old I find and the new "re-master" albums.  Happy as a fox in a hen house with my system but do want to go larger w/the PrimaLuna amp and get my Linn table over-hauled w/a new cart.  Then they can bury me in my LS!  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can see parallels between this hobby and the R/C hobby I used to participate in. You would see threads titled "Help! I can't stop buying helis"... serious. Folks called it "Helicrack"

I have a very capable, though much less elaborate than many, system of a pair of, sweet as, vintage LS and a matching H/K630. 

I am constantly tempted to "try something"... I would like a sub. Not NEED, want.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 7/1/2019 at 2:00 PM, JJkizak said:

I haven't heard any audio Nirvana since I had my Ampex tape deck in 1969. I sold it because it broke.

JJK

I have 3 Ampexs, 1 Studer, 1 Tandberg, 1 Pooneer, 1 Tascam, and some other I have forgotten exactly what they are,

But I'm not an addict. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, joessportster said:

Setting here Listening & thinking Today.............

I swear the audio bug is a nasty critter. There seems to always be the next best piece waiting in the wings to persuade us that we must be missing something.  For me I have had a few setups where I swore I was through. Familiarity always seemed to breed contempt and I was back on the net looking for my next High.  (I feel like a drug addict)

Today I have surprised myself, My current speakers have withstood the test of time "For Me" (Had the basic same speaker setup for over 18 months, Thats gotta be some kind of record).  Now my amps, Pre, and source have all hit a stride where I am more impressed with the SQ than I can recall being in the past.  In fact a few systems that others owned which I always found myself attempting to compare myself to,  now those memories seem lacking by comparison.  I have seen a couple tempting pieces and I was for a first time (in memory) able to constrain myself.

Have I finally found my version of audio Nirvana ?  The fact that I am happy with all aspects of reproduction and I can not think of a way to improve upon anything would seem to make it so. How about the fact I can now listen to new Genre of music at length and find that enjoyable ?

I have 3 or 4 pieces to move along to the next owner, at which time I seriously think its time I walk away. Put down the internet Audio bug, find something more constructive to do with my time. make a pact that from now forward I only buy new (To Me) vinyl. Add to my small collection.  Will that satisfy my Habit ?  I'm Hoping so !

Anyone else feel like an addict ?

Its this dam forum, and all you guys!

Alcoholics cant go to the bar everyday and stay sober (its possible but unlikely).

The first pic below is before this forum. the 2nd is after a few years here. And a crap load in-between. 

747eb97f-7ed8-4d5f-bef0-d186296f6927-ori

DSCN1004.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bo