LaScala Restoration Project.

Forte Too

Another Forum Member suggested I posted these pics from a set of restored LaScala's.  The drivers and crossovers came from a pair of designer series K-horns with industrial driver K-43.  They sound impressive.  Special thanks goes out to Mack Garrett, who did the restoration for the K-horn bass bins.  Mack is building uppers for the bass bins and I can't wait to see them finished with new veneer.  Mack is a great wood worker.  I can't say it enough, but thanks again Mack!!

Here are the starter LaScala cabinets I purchased from St. Louis -

Image may contain: indoor
You will notice that the bottom has been knocked off.  The prior owner didn't realize the tops came off and you could access the drivers from there.  There was a LOT of excess paint on these speakers.  They have lived a very hard life.
No photo description available.

• Like 1

Here is the inside of one bass bin.  Don’t worry the excess glue was wiped off.  Also, notice the burn mark?  Driver must have caught fire.  Never seen that before, but it also makes me sad someone busted the speaker up to get at a bad driver.

Image may contain: indoor

• Like 1

• Forte Too changed the title to LaScala Restoration Project.

Those top-loader La Scalas are from the mid-Seventies or earlier.  My 1974 LSes are like that.

If you want handles for easy moving, one member posted a good method.  He mounted a pair of handles on the back side, out of sight.  Then he attached a pair of rollers to the lower back, with the wheels a fraction of an inch above the floor.  To move the speakers, he just tilts them back until the wheels make contact with the floor, then he easily rolls them away.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Islander said:

Those top-loader La Scalas are from the mid-Seventies or earlier.  My 1974 LSes are like that.

If you want handles for easy moving, one member posted a good method.  He mounted a pair of handles on the back side, out of sight.  Then he attached a pair of rollers to the lower back, with the wheels a fraction of an inch above the floor.  To move them, he just tilts them back until the wheels make contact with the floor, then he easily rolls them away.

Like a dolly. Very smart 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1