The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Forte Too

LaScala Restoration Project.

Another Forum Member suggested I posted these pics from a set of restored LaScala's.  The drivers and crossovers came from a pair of designer series K-horns with industrial driver K-43.  They sound impressive.  Special thanks goes out to Mack Garrett, who did the restoration for the K-horn bass bins.  Mack is building uppers for the bass bins and I can't wait to see them finished with new veneer.  Mack is a great wood worker.  I can't say it enough, but thanks again Mack!!

Here are the starter LaScala cabinets I purchased from St. Louis -

Image may contain: indoor
You will notice that the bottom has been knocked off.  The prior owner didn't realize the tops came off and you could access the drivers from there.  There was a LOT of excess paint on these speakers.  They have lived a very hard life.
No photo description available.

• Like 1

Here is the pic with the new bottoms.  Bottoms are 11 ply birch.  image.png.bf057fde455b914f36daf3fd58980941.png

Here is a side shot.  Notice the non-klipsch handles….those will be an issue!image.png.959f4ff8ed44708e05f2b889a58f8a61.png

• Like 1

Here is the inside of one bass bin.  Don’t worry the excess glue was wiped off.  Also, notice the burn mark?  Driver must have caught fire.  Never seen that before, but it also makes me sad someone busted the speaker up to get at a bad driver.

• Like 1

Let the sanding begin.  Also trying to clean up the prior owner rounding the corners….ugh!

• Like 2

Taking care of the jig saw cutout for the old handles….Can’t believe someone would do that! 

Mack made a jig and router cut some straight lines then reversed the jig for the filler piece. 

No photo description available.No photo description available.

• Like 2

First speaker sprayed with Duratex….  Mack and I went back and forth about this

.  Originally flat lacquer was discussed but there was too much repair to hide, so Duratex was applied.  It turned out well!
Image may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoor
  • Like 2

One done and one to go……You can see the K-horn cabinet in the background.  Notice the upper is short.  These were a designer series Khorn with factory bases and an extended panel that the horns mounted in. 

• Like 2

Here is a shot of a similar set of designer series K-horns.  These started as industrial K-Horns.

• Like 1

And ready for testing.  They sound great!! 

Again, this was a Mack Garrett project.  He did a great job!!  Thanks again Mack.

image.png.be81241fa239fd7e15c95d628c382381.png
  • Like 3

Here is the NEW upper Mack built for the Khorn cabinet.  These things are going to be Beautiful.  Can't wait to see what he veneers them in.....

image.png.e0706e2fa5121ca4d72599d6af4c205f.pngimage.png.ac35dedfdd96d645ee19a9190a969175.png
  • Like 2

For what it is worth, @Forte Too got cabinets from the same guy I got my La Scala Split project cabinets from.  New life to four beat up, mistreated La Scala cabinets.  Gotta love that!

• Like 2

If only that guy lived next door! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. I think I can safely speak for everyone... We love pics!

• Thanks 1

Those top-loader La Scalas are from the mid-Seventies or earlier.  My 1974 LSes are like that.

If you want handles for easy moving, one member posted a good method.  He mounted a pair of handles on the back side, out of sight.  Then he attached a pair of rollers to the lower back, with the wheels a fraction of an inch above the floor.  To move the speakers, he just tilts them back until the wheels make contact with the floor, then he easily rolls them away.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Islander said:

Those top-loader La Scalas are from the mid-Seventies or earlier.  My 1974 LSes are like that.

If you want handles for easy moving, one member posted a good method.  He mounted a pair of handles on the back side, out of sight.  Then he attached a pair of rollers to the lower back, with the wheels a fraction of an inch above the floor.  To move them, he just tilts them back until the wheels make contact with the floor, then he easily rolls them away.

Like a dolly. Very smart 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1