Oddball man cave speaker build on the cheap!

Oicu812

A while back, I picked up a pair of empty KP-1000 boxes from @carlthess40, along with 5 100w RMS organ amps to play around with. 

At first, I looked for original crossovers without success.  I then made the decision to make these into a two way, and picked out a reasonably inexpensive 15" woofer to put back in the boxes.  Since I was really happy with the Eminence woofers that I put into the Super Heresy build, I went the same way here:

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-15a-15-driver-8-ohm--290-418

I found a pair of KG 5.5 crossovers for $35 on eBay that crossed near the frequency that I wanted.  They work really well with the Eminence woofer and the k-57-k on a 601 horn. Thanks to @jimjimbo for the drivers and horns at such a low price!

I thought about the amps for a while, and realized that they were built to amplify the full range of the organs they were put into, so they should work just fine for the bass - mid bass - squawker region.  I put some favorite music on, and moved the gain just enough to match the rest of the system (KP-3002 front left and right, Super Heresy on surround L-R). 

As far as tweeters go, I don't worry about 10khz and up due to my tinnitus.  So this two-way is just right for me.  I think I will pole mount the horn once I can find some of three screw cups that came on these originally. 

I know this is a weird setup, but it's been a lot of fun to play around with.

Now I just need to find something suitable for the center channel.

IMG-1165.jpg
IMG-1169.jpg
IMG-1170.jpg

I’m glad you put those amps to work
They should last a lifetime

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

They are SOLID little amps!  The KP-3002's really like the power, so I will be putting a dedicated amp on each one in the near future.  To test them, I used a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable to use an iPhone as a pre-amp.  They worked perfectly this way, so I knew I could use the Onkyo surround pre-outs to feed these amps.

IMG-1157.jpg

On 7/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, carlthess40 said:

Thanks, Carl.  I am having fun with them!  I had a bit of ground loop buzz going on after a while using them, so I added this between the RCA line out feed and the amp, and the buzz went away:

61vq9B+QbnL._SL1300_.jpg

You may need to go though them and redo all the soldering joints

• Like 1

I’m sure he isn’t because they have one rca input on them and then the Barrier strip screws for the speaker output
I had 10 of them and sold him my last 6 or so that I had left

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, babadono said:

R U using speaker wire for an input to those amps?

Actually I am using speaker wire, along with adapters to take the positive and negative wires and making a single RCA connector.  It's 16 gauge copper stranded wire, and the adapters allow you to make RCA cables for any length you need.  The end that connects into the pre-outs on the Onkyo 7.1 have banana connectors, and the other end uses the RCA connector.

Once I put the ground loop "isolator" plugged into the amp, and the RCA from the receiver into the input side, the faint hum went away.  The sound is crystal clear now.

Omg man. Get your *** over here and let me make you some proper cables. Lol
How many and how long do you need ? And single or dual

• Thanks 1

I'm just going by the pics....

Sorry about that. I’ll make him up some cables. I make all my speaker and input cables from the proper cables and connectors

21 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Sorry about that. I’ll make him up some cables. I make all my speaker and input cables from the proper cables and connectors

That's a really nice offer, Carl.  I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 4:21 PM, babadono said:

I was just thinking a shielded line level input cable MAY make the isolator unnecessary.

It sure did, BabaDono.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:49 PM, carlthess40 said:

Thanks again, Carl.  (He's one hell of a nice guy!)

The custom made 18' shielded RCA cables came in today.  I've swapped them in, and they sound fantastic.  No more hums when the system is idling!  Even with the volume turned to 11!

• Like 1