Mr (what?)

I have an older pair of RP-3 loudspeakers which were in climate controlled storage for a number of years.  The sound reproduction is light years better than what I've been listening to for the past ten years.  However, the issue is this.  I get a loud electric static pop thru the speakers when motorized things like ceiling fans are turned off.  The speakers are shielded with a surge protector, which is turned off when the stereo is not in use to prevent a potential electrical surge.  We've tried connecting to a different electrical outlet, but get the same results.  I was told that it could be a ground in the apartment wiring that needs to be replaced, but "likely it's a characteristic of the speakers".  I've not had this issue previously so I'm not willing to blame my Klipsch yet.  Has anyone else ever had an issue like this?  Does this sound like an amp issue to any of my fellow audiophiles?   

45 minutes ago, Deang said:

The RP-3 has an amplifier in it.

Well, the amp only drives the woofer; a separate receiver or amplifier would have to drive the mid/tweeter.

@Stevie T.  What kind of amplifier is running the full range side of the speakers?  What happens if you turn the RF-3 built in amplifier off or unplug power from the RF-3 amp?  Is there still noise coming through the highs?  If so, that would be coming from the receiver/amplifier and could very well be something from the AC line.  Do you have another amp to try temporarily? 

Did the speakers have any noise before?  Were they in another house/location?  They "are" 20 years old and capacitors do age.  If the noise is only coming from the woofer, which is the ONLY thing the built in amp drives, it could be power supply capacitors.  I had to replace $5 worth of caps on my Sunfire HRS-12 sub not long ago and it was around 10 years old.

3 hours ago, Stevie T. said:

I get a loud electric static pop thru the speakers when motorized things like ceiling fans are turned off

Based solely on info provided within this thread, I'd like to know out of which drivers is the static pop being emitted?  Got to narrow things down a bit if possible.

It's possible the room wiring is all up to snuff and either amplifier is picking up RFI as it where from the motor switches.  But it needs to be stated first if there's high frequency content alone, or in combination with low, or low alone, in this "spoken" static pop, to determine the most efficient next step to take.

Thanks for all the input.  Not being an electrician, I'm not familiar with capacitors, etc.  But here's my setup.  A Sony STR-590 receiver (new as of June this yr).  The main leads are from the amp to the main speakers (tweeter & mid range).  Powered subwoofers are connected from the subwoofer out s) to the "line in" connection.  Both the Sony and the speakers receive their AC power via the same surge protector.  The electric pop or static snap is thru the subwoofers.  As for the wiring in the house/apartment.  I suspect this is the culprit since the only time the issue exists is when one of the 3 ceiling fans is switched on or off.  We are in temporary living quarters in an apartment in central Arkansas.  Before we leave the area and the close proximity to Klipsch in Hope, I want to research this issue as best I can and if necessary transport them to the experts.  

Many thanks again for the input.

Steve

18 minutes ago, Stevie T. said:

The electric pop or static snap is thru the subwoofers.  As for the wiring in the house/apartment.  I suspect this is the culprit since the only time the issue exists is when one of the 3 ceiling fans is switched on or off. 

Subwoofers alone.  Good to know that.  I'm sure your room wiring is okay.  The fans should have capacitors across the switches to suppress the noise.  Sounds like they don't...

Since the "stereo" amp and woofer amp are on the same power feed, that should tell you that whatever the line voltage is being dirtied with, the new amp is able to cope with it.  The old amp should too, though.  The line noise is getting through the power supply, sounds like to me.  Just for kicks, power the speakers off an extension cord which is fed from the other side of the 240 coming in.  You'll have about a 50/50 chance of finding one (outlet thus fed - another room is best chance), but I'd bet the pop will go away.  That's not a fix, just a curious diversion.

I've seen threads similar to this and in all cases, an amplifier refresh fixes it for at least a while.  It'd casually seem Klipsch should distance themselves from active electronics.

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
3 hours ago, glens said:

It'd casually seem Klipsch should distance themselves from active electronics.

Ding Ding Ding!!!!!  We have a winner

Well, that's what I was going for.  What's the award this week?

From other companies products of the same era the parts quality used was variable. Some smaller pro audio equipment companies were rushed into oblivion by failures in active speakers. 

There were plenty of filter cap failures and also overheating output stages. Many products contained early Class D amps that just blew up sometimes.

Build quality has come a long way in the last 15 - 20 years. 

• Like 1