Is it okay to turn on-off tube gear multiple times a day?

dkalsi

I don't have a dedicated music room. Instead, my music room in our family room. 

There is no TV there - just a music system. 

Sometimes I listen to music in the morning during breakfast and again later in the day when I come home for work. 

My wife occasionally listens to the system in the afternoon. 

My question is: Is it okay to turn on-off a tube based system multiple times a day?

I've really only owned solid state systems over the years. I have owned a tube based system at one time, but then was very careful only to listen to the system once a day or every other day. 

The manual on my Plinius SA-100MKIII (solid state) amp specifically instructs to leave the amp on all the time, indicating that it uses absolutely minimal power when idle. 

I plan on keeping the Plinius solid state amp in the system. I'm just thinking about replacing my current passive pre with a tube preamplifier (specifically AE-3 DJH). So any issues with me turning the tube pre-amp on multiple times a day?

Thoughts anyone?

Good question I have to think.Will be interesting to know what tubers say. My electronic  background lead me to read back the  that

poswering up was the most werj upon a system and since was designed for 24/7 play, just leave it on...tubes, would think not, especially for say,3 or more times a day...bet I am wrong...

Yes Tubes have an average life expectancy but what’s the point to running them if no one is there to listen to them. 🙂

Well designed Tube Equipment is very robust so don’t worry about it.

I really don’t buy into the leave it on 24/7 even for SS Equipment for best sound as is often advocated by some of the manufacturers. After about 30 minutes most equipment will have reached stable operating temperatures and the sound quality should be at its best IMHO.

miketn

• Like 2

BTW, the 24/7 should have said was/is commercial video/audio application such as cable, satellite,

and radio station. Some of early units were

of course  tube design. VHF radio communication being another.

I don't see a problem with it as long as there is a sufficient gap in between cycles. Never turn off and turn back on a tube system. Allow for ample cool time between cycles, usually a half hour is fine. Also remember it takes time for a tube to warm up and sound its best after turning on.

• Like 1

One important caveat.  If this is older tube equipment that hasn't been restored, the less you turn it on and off the better. Indeed, never leave the house with old tube gear on.

Heck, I still don't understand why people leave their house with dryers, washing machines, dish washers etc. on, but that's a different rant altogether.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, thebes said:

One important caveat.  If this is older tube equipment that hasn't been restored, the less you turn it on and off the better. Indeed, never leave the house with old tube gear on.

Heck, I still don't understand why people leave their house with dryers, washing machines, dish washers etc. on, but that's a different rant altogether.

I never leave the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2019 at 3:23 PM, dkalsi said:

The manual on my Plinius SA-100MKIII (solid state) amp specifically instructs to leave the amp on all the time, indicating that it uses absolutely minimal power when idle. 

Thoughts anyone?

Absolutely the only thing to truly NOT use any "power" or electrical energy is to NOT plug it in! Otherwise there is always some parasitic power consumption, no matter how minute! Like with all those "instant on" electrical appliances?

John Kuthe...