RP 4000f opinions needed

mcp

I currently have a pair of RP 160M's that I am really enjoying. They seem to be loading my 13 x 17 living room perfectly with deep bass and a nice, effortless presentation.  My only complaint is that I get the best results moving them 3-4 feet out into the room.  This is becoming a pain because my stands are sand filled and really heavy. I don't have the option of leaving them out in the room permanently as they would block foot traffic.

One solution I am considering is getting a pair of 4000f mini towers. They would be infinitely easier to move, but I am wondering if I would retain the great bass with two 4" drivers. They are rated to have deeper bass response, but that doesn't always tell the story.  Anyone heard these little towers and care to chime in?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, willland said:

Why not look into these instead?  Bass response will not be an issue.

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/d/oswego-klipsch-rf-82-ii-speakers/6923788612.html

00f0f_k8o6kOIp13W_600x450.jpg

One woofer seems a bit trashed but also a good negotiating tool.

Bill

Way too much for this room. Have tried large speakers such as Tekton Lores and they overpower the room. Not to mention that they are heavy, which is what I am trying to avoid. 

2 hours ago, mcp said:

One solution I am considering is getting a pair of 4000f mini towers.

I checked the specs on these ... supposedly down to 37Hz ... but really have NO CLUE how you could get solid bass out of 4 inch woofers :( 

Therefore suggesting Heresies ... light, small and easy to move plus pretty good bass :D But, would probably add a sub.

23 minutes ago, Emile said:

I checked the specs on these ... supposedly down to 37Hz ... but really have NO CLUE how you could get solid bass out of 4 inch woofers :( 

Therefore suggesting Heresies ... light, small and easy to move plus pretty good bass :D But, would probably add a sub.

Thanks. I agree that it is hard to fathom that much bass extension from two 4” woofers, but I was also amazed the first time I heard Totem Arros. I have owned Heresies, I, II, and III’s. All great speakers, but I am enjoying what Klipsch has done with the tweeters in the RP line; there is a smoothness that I really like. Also,  I think I’m finished with subwoofers for a while - too difficult to get the blend right.

• Like 1

Assuming 6.5" driver on the 160s and 2 4" drivers on the other (going by what's in the thread), using those figures, which are too large, the piston area of the dual 4s is only 75% of that of the single 6.5.

If it's only 6.0 then the (still wrong) ratio is up to nearly 90% for the 4s.

Has to be better bass from what you've got.  Can you drain the sand?  Or how about a second, lightweight set of stands for the odd occasions?

53 minutes ago, glens said:

Assuming 6.5" driver on the 160s and 2 4" drivers on the other (going by what's in the thread), using those figures, which are too large, the piston area of the dual 4s is only 75% of that of the single 6.5.

If it's only 6.0 then the (still wrong) ratio is up to nearly 90% for the 4s.

Has to be better bass from what you've got.  Can you drain the sand?  Or how about a second, lightweight set of stands for the odd occasions?

Yes, I am considering draining some of the sand - good idea. I am now thinking about the 5000’s instead...two 5.25” drivers, so an increase in piston size and still easier to move at 37 lbs. 

• Like 2