Whats your favorite Star Wars movie

Heritage_Head

A lot of people don't like the pre movies... Whatever thats cool...... But Lucas had a hard job. He had to tell a story how one guy could rise up destroy thousands of jedis. Somehow even run off grandmaster yoda. Take complete control of the republic (rule the freaking universe). And do most of it right in front of the jedi.These movies are political and deep in plot and reason. Sure theres cheese. Thats on purpose. He wanted to make movies his kids would love. That was really important to him. But these movies are really deep in plot and characters that confuse people. Plus Lucas does a terrible job explaining some important things that the movies don't explain. Like the movie books do.

Example: When yoda fights the emperor. At the end of the fight. When the emperor is shooting lighting and yoda is pushing back. The book explains yoda is going down (like I mean its over). But the force speaks to yoda and tells him he MUST survive and go into exile tell the time is right. That if he dies. It will bring darkness and unbalance to the universe for a long long time. This is what makes yoda push back then run (and not go back and keep trying). Before the fight started. Yoda had decided he would kill him or die. But knew he was over matched and probably was going to die. But had to try. Its the main reason he didn't want ben to come with. He would have spent the whole fight trying to keep ben alive. Even though at this moment he was the under dog he still had a chance. This info is really important to so much of more than just this movie. 

Lucas doesn't explain this well in the movie. And its just one small detail of 100s that people who have only watched the movies wouldn't know.

The old movies were your basic kid from no where. Finds out he's important. Trains in some mystical powers he never knew he had, and beats the unbeatable bad guys. Hell even kung fu panda movie plots are just as deep as the old star wars movies (not a knock just saying).....

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the first movie release was written first, and the sequels plus the 3 prequels were written afterwards?  There was never a question of which to release first because it was the only one written at the time.  There were plans for the prequel and sequels, but they were not actually written by the time of the first release.  In essence, those stories did not exist.

No and yes

Darth vader was never intended as the main of the story. It wasn't tell much later after Vader became the most popular part of the movies did Lucas decide this was a all about Vader. In fact Vader wasn't even Lukes dad tell he started on empire.

Yoda was the key to a lot of what happened in the pre movies. But not a lot is explained in the movies. Yoda was so powerful. And is the reason the sith had been silent for so long. The emperors plan was to weaken Yoda so he could survive an attack from him. It was one of the main points to the war. The emperor was in charge of both sides and kept the war going for almost 20 years. The universe was completely flooded with fear, death, pain, and hate. The dark side was like a poison swamp that covered everything. This made the jedi weaker and gave the emperor massive power. 

Then after order 66 and all the deaths of the thousands of jedi. Not to mention this was yoda's job as grandmaster. Yoda took a personal part in the training of every single jedi that died that day. He literally helped train hands on every single one. and he felt every single death one after another. And then when he realized everything he missed his was in pieces. 

That is how the emperor became powerful enough to go toe to toe with yoda. Otherwise Yoda would have taken the emperor head in seconds. 

I truly have no idea if episode I was written first or not, that is not the point I am trying to make.

I believe they had an idea, i really don't know but i would think that episode IV was labeled as such a the time of release giving meaning to that there is a possibility of 3 prequals down the road, and if this is the case then why not write/release them first.  I think, as only my opinion, that maybe they knew at the time they want to release 6 movies but to do this they need to be able to afford it, to do this the first movie needs to be very successful, in order to help pay for another movie and then another movie and so on.

that is what I think anyway, if this is true or not I really don't know.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the first movie release was written first, and the sequels plus the 3 prequels were written afterwards?  There was never a question of which to release first because it was the only one written at the time.  There were plans for the prequel and sequels, but they were not actually written by the time of the first release.  In essence, those stories did not exist.
I seem to remember a Lucas interview where he said he wrote the entire star wars as one long manuscript but it was obviously too long for one movie. So he made the first three movies from the middle where the most action was.

I was disappointed to find out that the whole struggle was over taxes.

1 hour ago, Skelt said:

I seem to remember a Lucas interview where he said he wrote the entire star wars as one long manuscript but it was obviously too long for one movie. So he made the first three movies from the middle where the most action was.

Na.

Definitely not. Leia wasn't lukes twin sister tell he wrote e6 (return of the jedi). As mentioned Darth vader wasn't lukes father. And Vader wasn't even a main villain tell everyone liked him. If Vader didn't become so popular and sell toys like crazy we probably would have never got the next 3 movies. 

Theres way to many examples that show Lucas wrote these one at a time and they were always changing. But I won't say he never said that (even though he probably didn't. at least with that meaning). I've seen him contradict himself from one interview to the next. In his defense he has so many different version of these stories rolling around his head. I can see how he might get some things mixed up. We only have to remember it one way. 

Lucas had lots of help writing these movies (after the first one). He would have plot lines and characters and a crap loads of ideas. And of course final say on everything. But so much came from the other main writers. 

On 7/8/2019 at 6:52 PM, Heritage_Head said:

Yoda was the key to a lot of what happened in the pre movies. But not a lot is explained in the movies. Yoda was so powerful. And is the reason the sith had been silent for so long. The emperors plan was to weaken Yoda so he could survive an attack from him. It was one of the main points to the war. The emperor was in charge of both sides and kept the war going for almost 20 years. The universe was completely flooded with fear, death, pain, and hate. The dark side was like a poison swamp that covered everything. This made the jedi weaker and gave the emperor massive power. 

Then after order 66 and all the deaths of the thousands of jedi. Not to mention this was yoda's job as grandmaster. Yoda took a personal part in the training of every single jedi that died that day. He literally helped train hands on every single one. and he felt every single death one after another. And then when he realized everything he missed his was in pieces. 

That is how the emperor became powerful enough to go toe to toe with yoda. Otherwise Yoda would have taken the emperor head in seconds. 

1 hour ago, Skelt said:

Read my quote above yours. The war wasn't about taxes. My post explains what the war was about. The movies don't explain this but trust me its all about destroying the jedi. Until they were gone there was no way for the sith to rule. Even if they did get control the jedi would have stepped in and taken it back. 

Darth sidious (emperor) durning the last season of clone wars (cartoon ran 6 season by lucas. All cannon takes place between e2 and e3) in the last few episodes he fights Yoda (they do fight but its hard to explain). Darth sidious (emperor) tells count dooku before the fight this is a chance to see how close we are (main mission goal). Anyways they fight Yoda pretty much curb stomps him (sorta again hard to explain). Anyways after the fight and he escapes. Darth sidious (emperor) talks to count dooku and says "Yoda....he's he's so soo powerful! (shakes his head in total disappointment). We are still not ready!.... still more work to do...(both with there heads down in failure)...".

Basically hes saying we cant revel are plan yet because Yoda will kill us. We need to weaken him more and grown in power in the process. 

Darth sidious plan was bloody brilliant. Took almost 20 years but still.....

The plan got all messed up because Sidious and his master darth plagueis (who was still alive in e1) Using the force they created life. That life was Anakin Skywalker (his mom was like mary got pregnant with no man just happened). They created him to be powerful enough to kill Yoda. And he could have if they found him first. But the jedi got to him first. Durning this Darth maul was reviled (sidious master didn't know about him). So when everything went to hell Sidious poisoned and killed his master so he could recruit anakin for himself (plus training darth maul was a big no no). 

So for almost 20 years Sidious constantly brain washed Anakin telling him the jedi are lying to you. The jedi are afraid of you, the jedi don't trust you the jedi are holding you back, the jedi...................... The movies don't explain this at all but Sidious was Anakins closest friend. And trusted him more than anyone even ben. 

Anakin Skywalker hated the jedi. After he becomes Vader in the suit ,Sidious would always tease him that he use to be a pathetic jedi for almost 20 years. Telling him he will never be a real sith because he has to much jedi in him. Vader responded "I was never a jedi. I didn't believe in anything they stood for and was always faking my true feeling. I was never a jedi!"

6 minutes ago, Skelt said:

It's more like Lucas had to come up with a premise for the movies and that's all he could muster? Hardly an original concept.

Well the fake reason for the war didn't matter to the story at all. They could have been fighting over what color shirt everyone should wear and would have meant no less or more than the tax angle.  

Lucas is one of those people that cant tell a joke that anyone would ever think was funny. Has zero personality or animation in how he talks. He talks one way that way and no other way. He might move his head a tiny bit when he thinks he said something funny and sorta smiles.The guy is a freaking robot lol.

But the guys imagination is off the charts. Hes created a universe that has more details than are own has lol. 100s of different races, planets, 1000s of different weapons and space ships. Not to mention after every movie he made in this series (even the ones not as popular) it became instantly the new gold standard in sound/special effects/cgi and filming. But  

• 3 years later...