My first tube!!

Cleese74

Hello!

First of all, my apologizes for my english.

I'm going to be a new owner of a couple of Forte III and I am looking for THE AMP. I've tried ss (Rega, don't remember which one) and valves (Unison research S6) and I LOVED the valves. I listen a lot of 70's rock and jazz and I think that Forte and valves are the perfect marriage.

Luckily I have a high budget, I am looking the new Copland CTA408, or some Luxman... but I don't know if it is a good idea that my first valve amp is high end. What do you think? Should I start with a small one, keep the money and learn for the future, or "carpe diem" and go for the best I can get today?

Thank you very much!

• Like 2

In my opinion an auto bias valves amp is ideal for beginners.

As you have the budget, you could ask MATT FORMANEK if he has this for you. His amps are guaranteed for life, it's a good thing for the beginner

Euphoria Penthode is great for Forte

https://www.toolshedamps.com/euphoria-stereo-amplifier-details

Matt is on the forum https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/61896-toolshedamps/

😎

• Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, Cleese74 said:

Should I start with a small one, keep the money and learn for the future, or "carpe diem" and go for the best I can get today?

I would start with a "small" one ... the biggest fun of this hobby is UPGRADING :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I disagree with most of the above (except the doing your homework part)  Vintage or used tube amps are, for lack of a better term.....a crap shoot. (UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN RESTORED BY A WELL KNOWN COMPETENT SHOP).  Tubes are a commitment, where you will likely need spares, you will need to learn the multitude of types, manufacturers and the intricacies of each.  All of that is of course fun, but can also be very frustrating and time consuming..  The other question would be as to whether you are looking for tube separates or a tube integrated.  So, having said all of that, I would recommend looking at FULLY RESTORED vintage Mcintosh MC30 monoblocks, Mcintosh MC240, or new Justin Webers products (ampsandsound.com), or new products from Dennis Had, which you can find on ebay.

I have/had experience with all of the above, so please feel free to PM me with questions.

• Like 2

After 50+ years of listening to recorded music, I got a tube amp in February 2018. I had inherited a Thorens TT and some RB-5's and that was all it took.

I started doing homework on a tube amp. I ended up getting a VTA ST-120 kit (you can get them turnkey as well).

tubes4hifi.com is the seller. Bob Latino the kit builder has had a presence on the klipsch forum. Roy his partner designed the circuit over 30 years ago. It's based on the Dynaco ST70. The new versions have upgraded components. Bob is very responsive and generous with help before, during, and after. Roy is pretty helpful as well. They also have a forum with tons of info. After not doing any soldering for 25 years, the amp took me about 35-40 hours to build. I took my time and had no real issues- I was antsy and took a week before I plugged it in and turned it on. After doing so, I was bummed that I could've been listening to it. It sounds quite different to the Yamaha AVR it replaces. It's darker, faster, and more up front. Glad I did it!

Bias takes all of 3 minutes every couple of months with a multimeter and a flat blade screwdriver. Bob says not to make a huge deal of worrying about it either. I'm having autibias put on it now as I want to keep the tube cage secured (kids and other animals) but otherwise, I'd have left it alone. Tubes aren't a worry either as they're very available. 

I will have it playing through a pair of Chorus 2's before the end of summer. Just have to pick them up...

I hope this doesn't sound too much like an ad. It's not meant to. The amp sounds great and it wasn't difficult to build (if you consider that route). I'm just a thrilled customer.

Good luck!

Edited by amped
spelling and grammar
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, amped said:

After 50+ years of listening to recorded music, I got a tube amp in February 2018. I had inherited a Thorens TT and some RB-5's and that was all it took.

I started doing homework on a tube amp. I ended up getting a VTA ST-120 kit (you can get them turnkey as well).

tubes4hifi.com is the seller. Bob Latino the kit builder has had a presence on the klipsch forum. Roy his partner designed the circuit over 30 years ago. It's based on the Dynaco ST70. The new versions have upgraded components. Bob is very responsive and generous with help before, during, and after. Roy is pretty helpful as well. They also have a forum with tons of info. After not doing any soldering for 25 years, the amp took me about 35-40 hours to build. I took my time and had no real issues- I was antsy and took a week before I plugged it in and turned it on. After doing so, I was bummed that I could've been listening to it. It sounds quite different to the Yamaha AVR it replaces. It's darker, faster, and more up front. Glad I did it!

Bias takes all of 3 minutes every couple of months with a multimeter and a flat blade screwdriver. Bob says not to make a huge deal of worrying about it either. I'm having autibias put on it now as I want to keep the tube cage secured (kids and other animals) but otherwise, I'd have left it alone. Tubes aren't a worry either as they're very available. 

I will have them playing through a pair of Chorus 2's before the end of summer. Just have to pick them up...

I hope this doesn't sound too much like an ad. It's not meant too. The amp sounds great and it wasn't difficult to build (if you consider that route). I'm just a thrilled customer.

Good luck!

Great job doing it yourself! Im not brave enough. Im happy for you and would love to hear it! Peace.

2 hours ago, Emile said:

I would start with a "small" one ... the biggest fun of this hobby is UPGRADING :D 

Oh shut up!

I JUST got both my La Scalas new Bob Crites Type XX Balancing Networks, and YUM! Now I'm thinking of the other drivers Bob Crites upgrades!! Squawkers and tweeters! Plus 1" MDF backs on my Heresies! Then a Killer Sub! I HAVE two 15" Sub Drivers in a cheap box!

Any suggestions for a two 15" sub drivers box? Or two separate boxes for my two 15" sub drivers?

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Bitten By The Audio System Upgrades Bug!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, mr clean said:

Great job doing it yourself! Im not brave enough. Im happy for you and would love to hear it! Peace.

Thanks! The instructions were great and all parts were separate and labeled and Bob was great on the phone. Also good pix of great examples on the web.

http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com

I know of at least one in the Chicago area and his was connected to K-horns. I'm sure if you asked around at the above, you may find some one close.

Welcome! You will like it here.

That Copland costs at least twice what your speakers cost. My own suggestion is unless you can demo it with your speakers in your own home, you might want to pass and take a more incremental approach. After all , you have to also consider the cost of your sources: tape, turntable, cd/ dvd, stream etc.

Then there are tube topologies, SET, Push/Pull etc. and wether separates would work better for you or you want to buy an integrated just to get it done.

You've cautioned us about your English which suggests you are from another country, which may have some great amp builders right down the road from you, so give us a bit more information to work with.

• Like 1

I did a lot of reading and research before I settle on a 2-Channel system.

I wanted a pair of speakers with very high efficiency.  I tried many different brands and listened for many many hours.  In the end, I picked Klipsch.  My very first pair of speakers were the Klipschorns.  They were a very rough pairs of speakers but I got them for cheap.  I had them for over a decade before I gave them to a good friend for cabinets reveneering and replacing the crossover networks.  The pair I current have is my second pair.

I never like solid state and integrated amp for music so I chose to go with tube mono blocks.  Since I didn't have the luxury of buying many different pairs of tube amps, I had to spend a lot of times research about the different topologies and read endless reviews.  I wanted something with low power since I have high efficient speakers so I chose 2A3 SET.  After searching for a longtime for a good pair of 2A3 SET amps, I finally settled for the Welborne Labs Moondogs 2A3 SET mono blocks.

I generally listen to rock, vocal jazz and classical.  I never look back after nearly two decades.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Blackbird said:

I did a lot of reading and research before I settle on a 2-Channel system.

I wanted a pair of speakers with very high efficiency.  I tried many different brands and listened for many many hours.  In the end, I picked Klipsch.  My very first pair of speakers were the Klipschorns.  They were a very rough pairs of speakers but I got them for cheap.  I had them for over a decade before I gave them to a good friend for cabinets reveneering and replacing the crossover networks.  The pair I current have is my second pair.

I never like solid state and integrated amp for music so I chose to go with tube mono blocks.  Since I didn't have the luxury of buying many different pairs of tube amps, I had to spend a lot of times research about the different topologies and read endless reviews.  I wanted something with low power since I have high efficient speakers so I chose 2A3 SET.  After searching for a longtime for a good pair of 2A3 SET amps, I finally settled for the Welborne Labs Moondogs 2A3 SET mono blocks.

I generally listen to rock, vocal jazz and classical.  I never look back after nearly two decades.

When do you get them?  Let us know how they sound, and post some photos please.

What part of the world are you located in?  What is your first language?

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

When do you get them?  Let us know how they sound, and post some photos please.

What part of the world are you located in?  What is your first language?

I get the Moondogs back after my tube technician is done repairing them.

I live in Panama City, Florida!  I am an American.  I speak English.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 2:26 AM, thebes said:

You've cautioned us about your English which suggests you are from another country, which may have some great amp builders right down the road from you, so give us a bit more information to work with.

Sure! I'm from Madrid, Spain.  

On 7/7/2019 at 5:57 PM, jimjimbo said:

I disagree with most of the above (except the doing your homework part)  Vintage or used tube amps are, for lack of a better term.....a crap shoot. (UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN RESTORED BY A WELL KNOWN COMPETENT SHOP).  Tubes are a commitment, where you will likely need spares, you will need to learn the multitude of types, manufacturers and the intricacies of each.  All of that is of course fun, but can also be very frustrating and time consuming..  The other question would be as to whether you are looking for tube separates or a tube integrated.  So, having said all of that, I would recommend looking at FULLY RESTORED vintage Mcintosh MC30 monoblocks, Mcintosh MC240, or new Justin Webers products (ampsandsound.com), or new products from Dennis Had, which you can find on ebay.

I have/had experience with all of the above, so please feel free to PM me with questions.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the above...........

On 7/7/2019 at 11:57 PM, jimjimbo said:

That's a good plan!!! It's difficult for me to find those Mcintosh in Spain :(

I also have Forte III's, (have had lots of various Klipsch over the last 40 years).  I have been to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and LA High End Audio show in the last year.  Lots of great equipment to lust over, but much of it just crazy expensive.  I recently was in LA and visited Upscale Audio who auditioned PrimaLuna for me with Forte III's so I could have a good approximation of the sound I could expect. Was able to spend a great deal of time listening to the list of songs I brought with me.  I am now the happy owner of a PrimaLuna unit and very pleased. Lots of different paths to follow in this hobby, but for me, I  think I'm going to be satisfied for at least as long as anyone normally is in this hobby-there is always a "next step". Good luck on your search and whatever you do will be "right"-for now at least.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, amped said:

I will have it playing through a pair of Chorus 2's before the end of summer. Just have to pick them up...

I hope this doesn't sound too much like an ad. It's not meant to. The amp sounds great and it wasn't difficult to build (if you consider that route). I'm just a thrilled customer.

Good luck!

What tubes are you running in that st-120?