My first tube!!

Cleese74

Power:  TungSol 6550 reissues. (also got a good deal on a quad of KT88EH's- but I haven't tried those yet)

Center:  (phase splitter?) Brimar NOS CV4003 /12AU7)

Outers:  Sylvania 6189 /12AU7 NOS

New-  Just doing the AutoBias mod so will use a Weber WS1-t   s/s rectifier that replaces the TS 5AR4

On 8/14/2019 at 10:40 PM, Could sound better said:

Amped, 

find a balanced black plate d getter/foil cbs hytron for the center position. You'll like it👍

For the side preamp position I'm running some black plate 12bh7's. they seem a little more engaging. Cv4003's are hands down excellent tubes. Cheers!!

I see Bob L. says the 12bh7's have higher gain and they can be used. Have to look into why they should be. Not in much of a hurry to roll at the moment.

Also tried "Hungarian" Amperex in the pre's. To me, no difference from the Sylvania's. Tried clear top D-getter RCA's sounded a bit too bright-  so went back to the Sylvania's...

Yeah, that Brimar- WOW. Supposed to be better especially in the highs than Mullard. 

7 hours ago, amped said:

I see Bob L. says the 12bh7's have higher gain and they can be used. Have to look into why they should be. Not in much of a hurry to roll at the moment.

Also tried "Hungarian" Amperex in the pre's. To me, no difference from the Sylvania's. Tried clear top D-getter RCA's sounded a bit too bright-  so went back to the Sylvania's...

Yeah, that Brimar- WOW. Supposed to be better especially in the highs than Mullard. 

Oh man! I need to find a nice brimar then!!

On 7/7/2019 at 5:57 PM, jimjimbo said:

I disagree with most of the above (except the doing your homework part)  Vintage or used tube amps are, for lack of a better term.....a crap shoot. (UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN RESTORED BY A WELL KNOWN COMPETENT SHOP).  Tubes are a commitment, where you will likely need spares, you will need to learn the multitude of types, manufacturers and the intricacies of each.  All of that is of course fun, but can also be very frustrating and time consuming..  The other question would be as to whether you are looking for tube separates or a tube integrated.  So, having said all of that, I would recommend looking at FULLY RESTORED vintage Mcintosh MC30 monoblocks, Mcintosh MC240, or new Justin Webers products (ampsandsound.com), or new products from Dennis Had, which you can find on ebay.

I have/had experience with all of the above, so please feel free to PM me with questions.

I agree on Dennis' Inspire line. 

On 8/16/2019 at 11:14 PM, Could sound better said:

A Raytheon black plate 5814 is nice for the center position too!!

kt120’s gave me a taller sound stage.

Maybe I'll look for the 5814 down the road. The Brimar makes me very happy. KT120's have tight clearance w/ the Dynaco cage. 

Until I have my Chorus 2's up and running I'm holding off on more tubes.

Update- I did end up getting KT120's after someone confirmed cage clearance at Bob's dynaco forum. They sound great. I only have 3-4 hours on them so can't really judge but off the bat, they sound fuller than the TS 6550's. Definitely more on the bottom as well. 

Edited by amped
updated reply