A relaxing afternoon with the KG4's

4 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

So it's not the best of parts. It's only the garage system and, thankfully, Parts Express is not that far away for a whole $22! 😁😁

IMG_20190706_182947.jpg

IMG_20190706_182843.jpg

they sound better just bypassing those poly switches but do pay attention to distortion build up at level without them you are your own protection system now.

19 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

I swapped out the switches too. Might be lesser quality sound but it's only a garage system while I'm working on some other project (or to annoy the neighbors). But I'd rather be safe(r) swapping them out too. They were only 50 cents each.

good plan, old ones (poly switches) trigger more easily than new ones do so now you are safe no matter what!

Some of the crossover designs have a resistor in parallel with the poly switch which allows the tweeter to continue working at a much reduced level when the polyswitch opens.  Some like the KG-4 just have the polyswitch so the tweeter will go completely silent when the polyswitch opens. 

Bob Crites

• Thanks 1

I thought the reason for keeping the tweeter going through a resistor was to keep from practically shorting the amp at the crossover frequency via the cap and coil in series.  Or is the switch between the cap and the bypass coil?

23 hours ago, glens said:

I thought the reason for keeping the tweeter going through a resistor was to keep from practically shorting the amp at the crossover frequency via the cap and coil in series.  Or is the switch between the cap and the bypass coil?

There is no bypass coil (coil and cap in series). It's a two-way, with a third order tweeter filter. The polyswitch is before the first cap in the tweeter leg.