Heresy II help

Scott M

9 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I would contact Bob Crites and tell him what you found. He will be able to get the replacement that you need. 

+1 :emotion-21:

FYI, I have a pair of used phenolic tweeter diaphragms (K-76, K-79, etc.) available to anyone for the actual cost of postage.  I’m guessing less that $10 for both.  I replaced them with “Crites tites” in my DIY Supers.

23 hours ago, DizRotus said:

+1 :emotion-21:

FYI, I have a pair of used phenolic tweeter diaphragms (K-76, K-79, etc.) available to anyone for the actual cost of postage.  I’m guessing less that $10 for both.  I replaced them with “Crites tites” in my DIY Supers.

Mid-range.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, Scott M said:

So actually when I remove the leads from the driver, I get no conduction across the metal terminals on the driver...

Definitely dead.  Contact Klipsch or Crites for a replacement.  I would likely replace both.  There was a reason it blew and may have been a wee bit of abuse so the other is likely suspect.  I would also get the Ti tweeter diaphragms and by the time you are done, with little investment, you will have a great set of speakers.  H IIs are very nice particularly when mated with good subs if you prefer deep extended bass.  If not, about a foot off the floor, close to the wall, angled up, they are surprisingly full.

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Mid-range.

Is that a question?  To the best of my knowledge, Crites doesn’t offer a titanium diaphragm for the squawkers in H2, etc.  If he did I would buy them.  The phenolics are from the K-76 tweeters used in my DIY Super Heresys.

My FYI could be confusing.  I’m not suggesting my used phenolic tweeter diaphragms as a solution to a dead mid-range, I’m just letting Scott M, and everyone else, know they’re available for the cost of postage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Is that a question?  To the best of my knowledge, Crites doesn’t offer a titanium diaphragm for the squawkers in H2, etc.  If he did I would buy them.  The phenolics are from the K-76 tweeters used in my DIY Super Heresys.

My FYI could be confusing.  I’m not suggesting my used phenolic tweeter diaphragms as a solution to a dead mid-range, I’m just letting Scott M, and everyone else, know they’re available for the cost of postage.

I stated mid-range when you pointed out you had some tweeter (k-75/79) diaphragms.  The failure was on the mid-range, that's all I was saying.  Seemed it would be best to point out mid-range fixes not throw tweeter but nice of you to offer.  

So your diaphragms are not the black ones?

@ScottM contact https://critesspeakers.com/ and let us know how it goes.  Mr. Crites is universally respected and will get you the right fix.  Also, when you can ... post some pics of your Heresy.  We all love pics.  Are they Raw Birch (HBR) or Walnut Oil (WO) etc?  How are the cabs?  If they need a bit of touch up, you can use Howard's Restore A Finish and/or Bees Wax or other similar products.  Lots of fun to be had with Heresy speakers.  There are folks here that have tons of experience in wood care, crossovers, drivers etc.  So ask any other questions, thoughts you might have.  Best wishes.

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

So your diaphragms are not the black ones?

I don’t recall.  I’ll check.  They’re standard issue Klipsch, whatever color they supplied.  I’ll get photos.  

I hate to hi-jack this thread, but I’m not selling anything, just trying to get them into the hands of someone who can use them.

48 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I don’t recall.  I’ll check.  They’re standard issue Klipsch, whatever color they supplied.  I’ll get photos.  

I hate to hi-jack this thread, but I’m not selling anything, just trying to get them into the hands of someone who can use them.

Absolutely.  I was just thinking if the mids have been pushed hard enough to kill one, new tweeter diaphragms might also be in order since you are offering.

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Absolutely.  I was just thinking if the mids have been pushed hard enough to kill one, new tweeter diaphragms might also be in order since you are offering.

this is not necessarily the case. most of the diaphragms I have seen go bad went bad due to a mechanical issue, never the less inspecting the part should easily tell the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I replaced the diaphragm in the mid-range driver and they sound great! Thanks all for your help. Pictures attached.

I'm currently using an old Onkyo TX2500MKii receiver and an Onkyo CP1027F turntable with the speakers.

If I also wanted to use them for home theater purposes, is there a relatively low budget AV receiver w/ modern connections that anyone could recommend?

R.thumb.jpg.2f517842bf8eb9e802c42fd2ab3b1583.jpgL.thumb.jpg.f54c4dbab494f53bfa630eb58997939e.jpg

• Like 1