No bass on AirPlay from Denon AVRX 3300W (Update R-115SW subwoofer does not work)

mbrungardt

Here is my setup:

• I have a 5.1 speaker setup in my family room. 
  • Klipsch in-wall for the L and R and in-ceiling for the LS and RS
  • Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer
  • Klipsch AW-650's on second zone
  • Denon AVR X3300W Receiver

My issue is I get no subwoofer output at all for any kind of streaming music including Pandora running on the Denon app and Apple music through AirPlay from several types of devices including laptop, iPad and iPhone. I get zero bass to sub from any of these options. Everything works fine for cable TV and Blueray. This isn't our main media room, but it is next to kitchen and used frequently.  Enjoyable setup for movies or TV, but driving me crazy not to be able to play music when I have company in the family room or patio, because I can't get any bass to play for Apple Music,

I have done some extensive looking around and see that no bass is a frequent issue with AirPlay in general. I have tried everything I can find that has worked for others with no success, so hoping that someone here can provide some useful direction.

I have tried all of the following already with no success:

• All of my speakers are set to small
  • I changed Bass to be LFE + mains
  • I tried all the Music settings for sound input
  • I thought maybe something was going wrong with the wireless connection for the sub, so I moved the sub where I could plug in with cable

Thank you for input or suggestions!

Edited by mbrungardt

Update:

I am continuing to troubleshoot everything I can think of:

I moved the R-115SW to my upstairs loft where I have another Klipsch 5.1 setup.  Currently running a Klipsch THX ultra sub and amp there.  Ultimately it will go to the basement that I am finishing now in a main media room.  Plugged it in and got sporadic sound if I unplugged and plugged back in then it would just quit.  Ultimately I can't get any sound  out of it now any way I try it.  I have an unused Klipsch KSW15 in there that I will use once I move the THX sub to the basement.  I plugged it in and it worked perfectly on all formats as expected.  I brought the old sub downstairs plugged it in to the Denon and everything worked perfectly as expected.

Long story short, looks like the issue is ultimately a faulty R115SW, which is very disappointing considering how much I spent on it and it is only 2 years old.  Does anyone know if these are servicable?  It would be a big shipment considering its size to send somewhere.

I have the sub to On...not auto.  I turned up the level to +15db to ensure it was getting a signal. I assume it definetly ahs to be the amp, because 2 other Klisch amps work fine with same settings and cable.

If you get bass on blu rays then it's not the R-115SW's fault.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the fact that it works with some types of inputs ought to rule out the sub being problematic. 

First thing I would check is your settings again.  I know you said you set it to small and all that but a lot of Denon and Marantz products actually have two settings, there is the main one for surround sound but there is an entirely different but similar setting specifically for 2-channel.  You can have your speakers set to small and use a subwoofer with surround sound but then set them to large and bypass the subwoofer for 2-channel, and when streaming, it's going to be 2-channel, so, good chance it's doing this.  Check that first.