2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

A couple of points or questions.

1.  Was the modification of the port just the adding the flare or was it lengthening the port also (lengthening the port will, of course, lower the tuning of the cabinet).

2. you can mimic a larger cabinet volume by lining the interior with an inch or so of pressed fiberglas. Was that the idea behind the egg crate foam. I bring the point up since not all egg crate foam is the same. I assume this was the correct stuff?

3. You might also try moving the cabinets around a bit sometimes a half foot will alter the effects of one of the room modes. Sometimes the effect can be surprisingly large. A bit of experimentation is useful. 

Great project and thanks for sharing.

-Tom

Thanks!

1. The mod was adding the whole tube & flare. The factory Chorus 1 just has two holes in the front motorboard (no tube at all, just two holes thru the plywood)

2. Yes, (mimic) It is acoustical egg-crate marketed specifically for sound absorption, there is also a roll of polyfill under the two ports

3. absolutely (adjusting room placement) still tweaking placement to augment best sound. Currently they are up against a rear wall & one is in a corner, both slightly toed in

Dave

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Here is Matt's thread on his set.

Thanks for the link, you beat me to it (response) I read that thread NUMEROUS times as I was doing research & getting ready!

You're also being humble about your part 😀 The best part of his project might be those cabinets you cut on that fancy equipment !!!  VERY COOL 😎

I'm really glad you added that link, it consolidates alot of good info into one place for future reference for everyone !!!

I did even try/test fit some PVC like Matt did, but I wasn't happy with how it fit (loose) Maybe your version was better because you cut new motorboard openings?

Dave

Edited by 4JaxJags
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 4JaxJags said:

These Chorus 1's will THUMP & I don't miss my La Scala's AT ALL

I have said before that the next in line after my LaScalas would be the Chorus. Nice job on the bracing.

BUT, I will be going bigger. Actually have a schedule now for picking up my MWM bins the first or second week of August. 😲

Bruce

• Like 2

After getting great-looking charts in the article Moray linked-to the author goes on to say:

"After a month of twiddlng around, how did it sound?  Well - not as good as it looked.  The balance wasn't right; it was too bass-heavy.  In terms of coloration and image quality, the speaker was much better, and the "PA sound" coloration was gone.

"The balance problem could be partly alleviated by putting the speakers farther into the room, audiophile-style, but the Chorus, like the Cornwall, is a physically imposing speaker, and looks odd sitting in the middle of the room.  This experience shows that it's easy to get led down the garden path - the measurements above are some of the best I've seen, but trust me, the modified Chorus was a long way from being one of the best.  I undid all the mods and returned them to stock condition, and the bright, fresh Klipsch sound was back."

Very interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I have said before that the next in line after my LaScalas would be the Chorus. Nice job on the bracing.

BUT, I will be going bigger. Actually have a schedule now for picking up my MWM bins the first or second week of August. 😲

Bruce

Thanks for the "thumbs up"👍 on the bracing

Bigger is years away for me (after the kids leave & vacate space for a new bigger listening area) so I'm set for the immediate future with my Chorus 1's

Since I've already had La Scala's,I would hope for K-Horns (possible), or Jubes (dream on) someday...

Dave

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pete H said:

Nice job on the project.  Nothing wrong with having a specific goal that may not conform with others general thoughts at all.  I did a rear ported cornscala because it fit my needs and room. 

Thanks for the encouragement 👍 I did the mods based on somewhat "selfish' reasons. I wanted the biggest best sounding speakers I thought would fit my personal listening space, not so much worried about what would fit into public opinion. I also wanted them to look more like speakers (vs a PA system look) than what I had before (nice grills/etc.) After a lot of research, and reading multiple threads on here, I was simply doing what I thought would be best for my long term listening enjoyment ! (& I am DEFINITELY happy with how they sound now  😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 4JaxJags said:

Thanks for the encouragement 👍 I did the mods based on somewhat "selfish' reasons. I wanted the biggest best sounding speakers I thought would fit my personal listening space, not so much worried about what would fit into public opinion. I also wanted them to look more like speakers (vs a PA system look) than what I had before (nice grills/etc.) After a lot of research, and reading multiple threads on here, I was simply doing what I thought would be best for my long term listening enjoyment ! (& I am DEFINITELY happy with how they sound now  😀

Remember from your last topic on this subject the back and forth and too and fro. Knew you were Keen to give it a go. This topic will continue to intrique some. Now, thanks to your and others info here, coming in the gate, there exists a tranche of information on the subject... good show all around

I say.

• Thanks 1

More testing, Using Digital cannons & they sound AWESOME !!! You better be SURE your equipment is "up to par" IF/when you crank this version (Telarc) of 1812...

The cannons are around the 12 1/2 minute mark on track 1 & they will definitely test your system, your hearing, & your chest cavity for you 😀 (& you may get PTSD)...

20190709_164134_resized.thumb.jpg.8f4ecde325b78d0a21d4b382689bb75b.jpg

20190709_164054_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1