Cornscala A Question

Greetings, I currently have a Cornscala A which is in the traditional Cornwall enclosure.  I was wondering if it is worth my while to make it a two box enclosure and build the bass bin as the 24" X 24" X24", totally sealed with no ports,  will there be a noticeable difference in the low end?

Thanks,

Bernard

3 hours ago, bchristmas said:

Greetings, I currently have a Cornscala A which is in the traditional Cornwall enclosure.  I was wondering if it is worth my while to make it a two box enclosure and build the bass bin as the 24" X 24" X24", totally sealed with no ports,  will there be a noticeable difference in the low end?

Thanks,

Bernard

In general, the -3dB down point will extend about 1/3 to 1/2 octave lower in frequency when the cabinet is ported (with the proper geometry on the box volume and port dimensions). You can model this with WINSID or Hornresp etc. 

If you simply make a sealed box larger than recommended, then you can get some extended bass response but it may get a bit exaggerated. It is best to model this and not rely on internet recommendations (unless they are backed up with credible measurements).

Good luck,

-Tom

4 hours ago, bchristmas said:

Thanks,

Bernard

Yes. The low end will suck.

49 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

In general, the -3dB down point will extend about 1/3 to 1/2 octave lower in frequency when the cabinet is ported (with the proper geometry on the box volume and port dimensions). You can model this with WINSID or Hornresp etc. 

If you simply make a sealed box larger than recommended, then you can get some extended bass response but it may get a bit exaggerated. It is best to model this and not rely on internet recommendations (unless they are backed up with credible measurements).

Good luck,

-Tom

Good advice. Otherwise,  just leave them alone.

13 hours ago, bchristmas said:

A little more pronounce.  Due to my room setup I cannot get them closer to the side walls, so I thought with a larger enclosure that might do the trick.

If you want more pronounced bass, you don't seal the enclosure.  You can (kind of) gain low end extension at the loss of output at enclosure tuning frequency (12db vs 24db rolloff).

To gain output, you will make larger ports and even possibly sacrifice cabinet size, though you lose low end extension.

Model it as previously stated.