Heresy place on side

AuditMan

The only option for placement of Heresys in our den is to place them on their sides on bookshelves.  The shelves (actually a cabinet, very solid, on-site custom made) are 36 inches from the floor, placing the horns at or just a little above ear level in the sitting position (see pic).  The room is long and narrow, with the speakers being placed on a long wall.  We have two Klipsch subs, one on either side of the sofa which is on the opposite long wall, about 12 feet from the cabinet.  The Heresys would be 8-10 feet apart.  We've had different opinions from different people, yes and no.  Does anyone out there have an opinion as to whether this a feasible option?  We are currently running a pair of Klipsch RP 160 M's, which sound great, but we'd like to upgrade.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Den1.jpg

• Like 2

Although not ideal, that is exactly how my brother positioned his KP-201s (think Heresy Pro).  At my suggestion, he swithched them side to side so that the tweeters are closer to the sweet spot.  He now prefers them that way.

KP-201

• Like 1

Yeah, highs to the middle, but my concern would be with the horn dispersion patterns which are largely the shape of the horns if I understand correctly.  If true, you should not expect as uniform a soundfield as what you presently have or could have with them.

Would they fit upright but inverted atop the shelves?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Be careful with a Heresy on your side circulation could be compromised, plus you're way out of the sweetspot.

Taking the photo from the sweetspot would not have shown both speakers, so I had to stand to the side.  What do you mean by circulation?  Thanks.

10 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Be careful with a Heresy on your side circulation could be compromised, plus you're way out of the sweetspot.

What do you mean about circulation?

It is easier to keep similar time alignment with the drivers vertical than side to side.  Any positioning move in the horizontal plane will change the frequency response much more than in the vertical, which they were designed for.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, pzannucci said:
11 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What do you mean about circulation?

A Heresy on your side.  Think of his statement like that and see if you don't get the joke he made.

I'd very much rather have the "sound" of the speakers change more greatly as I sit down or stand up, than as I move about laterally, which I do a greater amount of time while enjoying reproduced sound.

I would only lay speakers such as the Heresy on their sides as a completely last resort.  I'd sooner alter the cabinetry.  In this case, what dimension is the space between the cabinet tops and the ceiling?  Inverting the speakers set up there, slightly angled downward if possible, would actually work extremely well for several reasons.

Resorting to suspending the inverted speakers so they hang just in front of the cabinet tops if they're too tall to stand upon them would be better than trying to fill the room with sound with the speakers laying sideways.

Okay, I now get the joke.  Altering the cabinetry, placing them atop the cabinetry, or suspending them are not viable options.  There was once a fireplace (a cheap, metal drop-in one) where the TV and components are currently.  We eliminated the fireplace so we could accommodate bookshelf speakers.  More alterations are not in the cards.  We live in Florida where a fireplace is a waste of good space, so it was no big deal.  Suspending the speakers is not something we would consider.  Like I mentioned in my original query, the RP 160M's sound great, we just miss the big box.  We sold our CF2's when we moved here because there was no room for them.   Placing speakers in front of the cabinets wouldn't work for us either.  If we decided to do that, we'd do Fortes. Thank you for your time and help.

Find a nice set used for a a good price ($500 range). Then the only thing lost will be the time spent looking and driving to buy them. You'll have all your answers with no money risked. 

I don't think they would look that good on there sides (looking at your pic). I only bring up the looks because its obviously a large part in your thinking. 

What about inside the cabinet? If you where to remove two doors on each side would they fit? A little finish work on the cabinet area that you removed 2 doors on might look top notch with a set of herseys placed flush. Like if the inside area was painted black. Lots of cool ideas that might work. 

Peter P.  That is probably the most practical solution.  However, after paying a good chunk on what we've already done (removing a fireplace, building the components shelving, matching flooring, etc.), we hesitate going that route.  Considering what is there is on-site custom built, making it look right might be a challenge.  Well worth considering, though.  Thank you for the suggestion and your time.  Much appreciated.  Cheers.

Edited by AuditMan
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I would go for it, I used a Forte ll on it's side for years as a center channel, and honestly couldn't hear a difference.

You could slightly slide one end out to help with aiming them if needed, I would think your going to like the sound of the Heresy. It's quite a jump up from the RP 160 M.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Find a nice set used for a a good price ($500 range). Then the only thing lost will be the time spent looking and driving to buy them. You'll have all your answers with no money risked. 

I don't think they would look that good on there sides (looking at your pic). I only bring up the looks because its obviously a large part in your thinking. 

What about inside the cabinet? If you where to remove two doors on each side would they fit? A little finish work on the cabinet area that you removed 2 doors on might look top notch with a set of herseys placed flush. Like if the inside area was painted black. Lots of cool ideas that might work. 

Just to add to this a little. Depending on the measurements. You could just leave the doors on. So when you want to listen just open them. Set up like this would be very clean. No wires.

Location of the open doors could cause some issues depending how far they open. The hinges used could be replaced with something that would make this less of an issue. 

Don't worry about it.  I used a Heresy III on its side as a front centre channel for years, and it sounded fine.  Now it's standing up normally in the rear centre position.  It's still happy.

I'd go with the tweeters to the outside at first, to give the effect of wider spacing, but whatever makes you happy is fine.

My  center channel is a Heresy on its side above the TV, supported by a TV wall mount.  It appears to f!oat in the air.  Imagine the horns as a water nozzle with a fan spray.  That is how the sound will be dispersed.  Laying on their side gives a highly localized sound.  So much so that Jobeth thought a show was coming only from the TV speakers last night.  You'll want minimally reflective surfaces on the floor and perhaps the ceiling, but you won't have to be too concerned about wall reflections.  There is no change in the tone of the speaker in the sweet spot, but it is naturally narrow.  You will not have to be concerned about the elevation of the speaker relative to your ears, either.  You could put them on any of your shelves with good results. 

I'd do it without thinking.  Place tweeters out and toe-in toward your listening position. 

• Like 1