Heresy place on side

AuditMan

Thank you for your help.  We've decided to retrofit our cabinets so we can place them inside and toe them in a little.  Will require a little bit of carpentry and a whole lot of caulk and molding but it's doable.  All I really need to do is find the speakers.  Ha.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, glens said:

Too much of a compromise.  Stick with what you've got.

Have to disagree with this, there is no way a RP 160 M would compare to a Heresy even on it's side, not to me anyway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:
On 7/13/2019 at 3:08 PM, glens said:

Too much of a compromise.  Stick with what you've got.

Have to disagree with this, there is no way a RP 160 M would compare to a Heresy even on it's side, not to me anyway. 

For sitting in "the sweet spot" I agree.  And if the mids and highs had a nominally circular dispersion pattern like direct radiators it wouldn't matter as much for general usage either.  But throwing the mids and highs largely up/down and hardly left/right ain't so good for room-filling.  OP's got the right solution in mind.

The Sweet Spot will be great.  A little out of the sweet spot your midrange and highs will be reduced because of the dispersion of the K-700 horn.  I is a 90X40 degree horn. Horizontal dispersion is 90 degrees and vertical dispersion is 40 degrees. When they are on their sides you have 40 degree horizontal and 90 degree vertical which makes your sweet spot narrower and if you have a flat smooth ceilings there will be a lot of reflection you wouldn't normally hear from the ceiling.  It may satisfy you...if so enjoy it and ignore the specs. Bottom line...they are yours...do what you want! 😎  My profile picture is PWK in 1978 with me to his right.

Edited by Bassman10

Thanks Bassman 10.  I picked up a pair this morning and have them set up temporarily in the study until we can redo some cabinetry in the den.  Here's a pic.  And yes, I know they should be on the floor with risers, but for now they are here.  

Heresy II's 2.jpg

To all,

I thought outside the box and put them inside the cabinets.  It took about a day and a half of work but it's done.  There was a little more to it than removing the doors.  Thank you all for your help.  Now to listen responsively.  Oh heck, the neighbors should like Zep.

Den after.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rjp said:

That works. Glad you didn't go with sideways. The horns are meant to be horizontal.

I listened to both my Heresy and my H3 on their sides and thought both sounded very good that way it even helped with drive alignment. The tweeter horns in the LaScala and the Khorn (same horn) which are meant (designed) to be mounted vertically were not in either loudspeaker, both were mounted horizontally to save space. What is meant to be and what is are not always what happens for a variety of reasons. Have you actually given a listen to a pair of Heresy on their sides?

4 hours ago, moray james said:

The tweeter horns in the LaScala and the Khorn (same horn) which are meant (designed) to be mounted vertically were not in either loudspeaker, both were mounted horizontally to save space.

Really?  Interesting.  What are their dispersion patterns, then?

1 hour ago, glens said:

Really?  Interesting.  What are their dispersion patterns, then?

The K77 is a diffraction horn (fashioned after the original EV horns use the T-350 and T-35) so it is obvious which way their dominant pattern is. I would have to search on line to find polar their patterns,but this is nothing new, you can search if you are interested. I have them on an old hard drive in a box. Really.

Edit: here ya go  was the first thing that came up.

https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/T35A EDS.pdf

• Like 1

I'm not sure the mids would work as well. The problem might end up being the mids bouncing off the ceiling and floor.

I had my HIIs horizontal on top of my unfinished LS cabs for a couple of years and they sounded great. Also have 10.5 ft ceilings in that room.

1 hour ago, YK Thom said:

Looks like they would be fine on their sides after all.

as it turns out there is not a lot of difference and that's why PW chose to save material and overall cabinet size by mounting them horizontally. the same can be said for the Heresy and also the Cornwall which as we all know was made available as a vertical positioning both the K600 and the K77 vertically.

• Like 1

Having the tweeters on the inside could also help create a wider soundstage. My Ohm Walsh do a version of this by having the super tweeters aimed at a 45 degree angle coming to a focus just in front of the listening position.