Heresy place on side

AuditMan

On 7/14/2019 at 6:45 PM, dtel said:

Have to disagree with this, there is no way a RP 160 M would compare to a Heresy even on it's side, not to me anyway. 

I just placed some Heresy III’s on there sides for surround to replace RP160’s on there side. As they are suboptimal in placement (too much to the rear) I have the higher frequency horns on the outside for better separation.  

17 minutes ago, WorkingEdge said:

I have the higher frequency horns on the outside for better separation.  

I have always placed the tweeters to the outside when placing smaller monitors on my desk when recording and mixing. Alesis even recommended that when I first got them. The were on a shelf at ear height on the left and right ends of my desk. They were rotated to point directly at me, though.

Bruce

Those look good sitting there. Even thought the white looks great, seeing the cabinet finish is good.

If you have any funny freq. response, you might try some foam blocks  to put around the front of the gap in the cabinets. They could be wrapped with fabric to make them look nicer. Just thinking the cavity might mess with the response.

Agreed.  The cavity will have a frequency or two, with multiples, where the output of the speaker will be augmented.  If it happens objectionably, it's an easy fix, as suggested above for one of several ways to spend a few hours and a couple bucks all-in.

The end result looks much better than I'd anticipated, and truth be told it was the first solution that'd crossed my mind.  But you'd already shot down further cabinet work...  So, "wise choice" in my book.  Looks real good.

Marvel and glens,  Thanks for your advice.  Although, the frequency response does not appear to be hindered in any way, in fact, it appears to have been enhanced.  They sound better than they did in the study and much better than they did from where I bought them.  Where I bought them, the guy had them on the floor.  I just listened to Jackson Browne's "The Fuse" and it sounded flawless.  The drummers high-hat was a clear as could be.  Clearer than with any speakers I've ever owned, and there have been a few.  Glens, I did shoot down further cabinet work,  but once I showed an example from Pinterest to my wife, I had buy-in.  Well, excuse me, I have music to listen to.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had my Hersey’s HD201 on their side with highs facing out. Worked great they set on top of my Fortes. But because if the projector screen. I ended up turning them up size down on top of the Fortes. Which puts their highs inline with ears. Also they line up with the center one that’s setting on a sub in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Moot point as the OP put them in the cabinet.  But ... as I mentioned before, my Heresy's are upside down :D  But; wanted to add ... my K-510 horns are turned 90 degrees - yes; vertical - no problems at all with dispersion :) 

“Klipsch Heresy III speakers provide a precise yet powerful and efficient sound." said founder and CEO of OneButton, Matt Emmi.

https://www.klipsch.com/blog/klipsch-install-stories-chipotle-adds-heresy-iii

I came upon this, a creative way of tucking away Heresy speakers. May inspire some of you and perhaps avoid the need to put them on their side.

Quote: 

It’s possible you have noticed that the Heresy III speakers are actually inverted with the woofer at the top. Klipsch systems engineer Trey Cannon explains the reason behind the inversion:

“The speakers may look upside down, but there are things one can do to give a speaker every chance to sound better. In this case, putting the woofer close to the ceiling is ideal. The ceiling provides a corner for the low sounds to reflect from. Like our founder Paul W. Klipsch said, ‘All speakers are corner speakers.’ This also places the mid-range and tweeter closer to the ear of the listener. Someone who cares about sound had a hand in this install.”

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 11:06 AM, AuditMan said:

For us it's a moot point as we found a way to place them in the cabinets and not have to place them on their sides.  A couple days of cabinet work and voila!!  Please see pic.

Den after.jpg

Nicer looking to me... enjoy...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

I put mine on their sides on the credenza of my desk then tilted them down with some cork drink coasters. It worked out great and even matched with the KLF20's in the same room. This is about 6 1/2' to 7' up.

IMG_20190817_140109.jpg

Tweeters in instead of out like shown should give a better balance to the sound, much more similar to the way they'd sound if positioned "conventionally" (upright, below ear height).  Tweeters "out" like that can give an impression of wider separation but the tonal balance is incorrect.

1 hour ago, glens said:

Tweeters in instead of out like shown should give a better balance to the sound, much more similar to the way they'd sound if positioned "conventionally" (upright, below ear height).  Tweeters "out" like that can give an impression of wider separation but the tonal balance is incorrect.

There wasn't just the impression of a wider soundstage, there really was one. And the woofers on the inside was to control excessive bass at my seating/listening position. MCACC cound only take care of so much.

6 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

There wasn't just the impression of a wider soundstage, there really was one. And the woofers on the inside was to control excessive bass at my seating/listening position. MCACC cound only take care of so much.

Did you try them (oxymoronically?) upright inverted?