HBR Identification and Amplifier Advice

Hi,

I recently inherited two Klipsch HBR speakers and I had some questions. I am starting to record and produce music, and I was wondering what the most cost-efficient amplifier you would recommend me to use in order to hook the HBRs to my computer. I also had some general informational questions such as the year of the speakers, an estimated value and what gauge speaker wire I should use. This is the first post to this website that I have done, so I apologize for dumb questions or poor formatting. I know a little about speakers, but not a lot about Klipsch speakers, so really any input is appreciated! I have attached some pictures for better perception. 

F68S3pfNFbPAYYqBYFUhqx--EfYD7aCmDYDbW-Th7FuubRyCHQ1VAdFDV3ZlQc_38bJ0qvpYePgIece8Lc7AtpNG4ITClH1cbEWQpZRaLihb2l_tZ1P6X6J7

Edited by Perrotta-G
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Perrotta-G said:

Hi,

I recently inherited two Klipsch HBR speakers and I had some questions. I am starting to record and produce music, and I was wondering what the most cost-efficient amplifier you would recommend me to use in order to hook the HBRs to my computer. I also had some general informational questions such as the year of the speakers, an estimated value and what gauge speaker wire I should use. This is the first post to this website that I have done, so I apologize for dumb questions or poor formatting. I know a little about speakers, but not a lot about Klipsch speakers, so really any input is appreciated! I have attached some pictures for better perception. 

F68S3pfNFbPAYYqBYFUhqx--EfYD7aCmDYDbW-Th7FuubRyCHQ1VAdFDV3ZlQc_38bJ0qvpYePgIece8Lc7AtpNG4ITClH1cbEWQpZRaLihb2l_tZ1P6X6J7

Your pictures aren't coming in.  If you want an easy way to host them and use on forums like this, try the technique below in my signature.

The cheapest I have seen are the 5.1 to 7.1 surround amps that litter the shelves at Salvation Army, Goodwill, and local thrift stores.  Around 9 months ago, I picked up an Onkyo 7.1 amp at a Salvation Army.  This is important because this amp has multiple optical inputs, and also 5 way connectors for pre-outs on each channel.  I went from my PCIE SoundBlaster via optical, and use most of the amplified channel outputs.  The only exceptions to that are the pre-outs for the rear channels and subwoofer, because the sub has a built in amp, and I am using mono 100W RMS amps for the rear.

The amp cost me $28 in perfect shape. 

Good deals are out there to be found.  Most people seem to ignore these surround amps in the stores, for some reason.  Thus they can be had inexpensively.  I have 6 surround amps from the same stores, one each in the master bedroom, guest room, main home theater area, the swimming pool enclosure, and in my office.  The sixth is a spare in case of any issues.

• Like 1

As far as the wires to feed them it depends what length they need to be for minimum size.  If they're 25' or less then #14 stranded copper.  You can get a 50' spool of "speaker wire" at Home Depot for cheap-enough.  Probably a bit more expensive at a corner hardware store but if it's handier to you likely worth the savings in travel.  You definitely don't need anything exotic.