Freedom of Speech?

Jeff Matthews

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:
4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:
  23 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Any notion of a fake has been debunked.

4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.space.com/amp/apollo-11-moon-landing-hoax-believers.html

5% of America, that explains a lot, in a round about sort of way.

I have heard 6%  before, but more like 10% of millennials.  The increase can be explained by all of the false nonsense propagated over the internet, in my opinion.  Notice the use of verbiage---propagated---propaganda...

I am not a millennial.  I don't adhere to propaganda!

8 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Is there any concern regarding the number of birds, including Bald Eagles, that are killed by wind turbine blades?

Not really.  There is nothing like a mcguffin from detractors.  Compared to the effects of drilling and refining, etc?  None of us can deny the impact we have on the environment, admittedly there will always be an impact whatever we do.  So, would you rather focus on industry propaganda, or clean air and water?  It is all a trade off no matter what.  Thanks for shopping though.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Not really.  There is nothing like a mcguffin from detractors.  Compared to the effects of drilling and refining, etc?  None of us can deny the impact we have on the environment, admittedly there will always be an impact whatever we do.  So, would you rather focus on industry prooaganda, or clean air and water?  It is all a trade off no matter what.  Thanks for shopping though.

No "mcguffin".

I believe in using solar whenever possible. Drive a car that gets outstanding gas milage. As soon as I am convinced that the batteries used in hybrids and electrics create less havoc on the environment than they save, I'll get an electric.

Wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 - 328,000 birds each year.

In my opinion, this is not a good thing.

• Like 2

I can appreciate that.  But how many animals are killed through pollution and habitat destruction from fossil fuel production?  Not to mention the human toll.  Like I have said, there should be a rational shift to better, whatever that may be, and for the near future a combination of all resources is necessary to avoid disruption on a grand scale.  Whatever we do will have an impact, and those who somehow think that we don't are the delusional ones.  Yes, species can have a planetary effect.  We are not the first, but we should be the first to realize it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

No "mcguffin".

I believe in using solar whenever possible. Drive a car that gets outstanding gas milage. As soon as I am convinced that the batteries used in hybrids and electrics create less havoc on the environment than they save, I'll get an electric.

Wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 - 328,000 birds each year.

In my opinion, this is not a good thing.

Agreed.  Not to mention where they think the electricity is generated from to power these cars.  Coal plants, some nuke one's, dams, etc., etc.  I've read where some of the solar panel fields in Silicone Valley actually vaporize birds when they fly over them.  When all of the panels are aimed at the sun it's like a magnifying glass to an ant.  Just the other way around but a lot more intense.  Maybe we should drop back to the early 1800's.  Horse and buggy.  The only problem with this is down winding some methane from the horses.

C'mon man!  There is no perfect solution, but there is an intelligent way to cut pollution.  Carbon emissions into the atmosphere are what have led us to have to come up with alternatives.  Rising sea levels at too fast of a rate are killing coral reefs, which dominos into depleting our ocean resources.  Studies repressed  by our government show that rice is now less nutritious than before because of climate change.  Now, while we don't survive on rice here, a lot of the world does.  We could lead the way.  The current alternatives have negative effects but for one thing they don't contribute nearly the level of carbon emissions.  And yes, it is a global issue and not one we can do all on our own, but we can show the way, and make a ton of money with effective solutions.  Win win.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

C'mon man!  There is no perfect solution, but there is an intelligent way to cut pollution.  Carbon emissions into the atmosphere are what have led us to have to come up with alternatives.  Rising sea levels at too fast of a rate are killing coral reefs, which dominos into depleting our ocean resources.  Studies repressed  by our government show that rice is now less nutritious than before because of climate change.  Now, while we don't survive on rice here, a lot of the world does.  We could lead the way.  The current alternatives have negative effects but for one thing they don't contribute nearly the level of carbon emissions.  And yes, it is a global issue and not one we can do all on our own, but we can show the way, and make a ton of money with effective solutions.  Win win.

OT, I'm not trying to dispute any of the efforts.  Just pointing out some of the side affects.  I agree that the global issue is ours to contend with but how do we get the rest of the world to follow us?  I've seen sooo many images lately of plastics lining beaches, Chinese rivers that look like something out of a Sci-Fi movie, so on, and so on.  Humans are destroying the planet, period.  Maybe a bit harsh, but true.  Can we correct it?  Possibly, but we'd have to have a global consensus and understanding to do so.  The reality is, as was said in a movie, humans are a parasite.  What does the host do when parasites try to take over, eradicate it, if possible, or the host dies.  We are at critical mass right now.  How do we convince billions to do the right thing?

Thinking here that the issue is less about freedom of speech and more fundamentally about the accuracy of its content as well as the intent of the speaker. Then there is the ability of the listener to dissect and discern these foundations of ‘message’ accuracy. Tell me that the ‘holocaust’ didn’t occur and you’d better be able to 100% validate your claims. Accept no persons opinions on face value. Some speakers are naively ill informed and parrot messages simply because they prefer to agree with them. Others intend to mislead, to propagandize, to disrupt. They can all speak but we do not have to believe them. Do the homework.