Freedom of Speech?

Jeff Matthews

Two moderators out of three posts---I'm out.  Anyone who wants to defend the fossil fuel industry instead of striving for better---and make no mistake you are paying for it---go ahead.  I think even the industry is working on alternatives as a long term viability for their business, but in the meantime they gain more from hiding.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That's not what I was doing, or at least that's not the point I was trying to make.

I wasn't speaking about you.  It is a generalization.  I'm still out.  If anyone wants to have a more in depth discussion which is not possible in the open here, feel free to pm me.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Anyone who wants to defend the fossil fuel industry instead of striving for better---and make no mistake you are paying for it---go ahead. 

We live in Texas, I thought they kicked us out if we don't defend them?

Remember when Colin County tried to outlaw fracking?  I was encouraged until outlawing at the local level became outlawed.

Remember all the earthquakes in the Metroplex and the State Commissioned a study by SMU(?) and the study was "inconclusive."  

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Yes Denton.  Up there where all the renegades live.

Interestingly enough, yes.  Except that Denton routinely votes conservative in state and national elections.  When it comes to how we do things locally, we take a pragmatic approach.  We own our own electrical utility.  The majority of our power is now from wind energy.  What ever works, right?  Our dump creates biodiesel to fuel the city vehicles by capturing methane to fire the process.  We are very conservative here, but we are not stupid.

57 minutes ago, babadono said:

Define worse. So hot you can't stand it or so cold you can't stand it:)

"Can't stand it"? 

As long as our AC and furnaces work we will be able to "stand it" in our first world.

People have been "standing it" all around the world for a long time.

Look out for when they really "can't stand it".

• Moderators
5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm more worried about the unfathomable tons of plastic waste that are accumulating on land and sea.

Plastic is a petroleum industry byproduct, but there is a solution on a local level. 

Push to Outlaw plastic grocery bags in your City/County.

Refuse to buy anything that comes in plastic.

Push to require that stores charge  a 5 cent per plastic bottle deposit and a pay out a return fee.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Interestingly enough, yes.  Except that Denton routinely votes conservative in state and national elections.  When it comes to how we do things locally, we take a pragmatic approach.  We own our own electrical utility.  The majority of our power is now from wind energy.  What ever works, right?  Our dump creates biodiesel to fuel the city vehicles by capturing methane to fire the process.  We are very conservative here, but we are not stupid.

Wind?  Seriously?   I didn't know that.