New to Klipsch! Love my RP-160s but disappointed with performance of classical music. What to buy next?

Hello everyone. I'm new to this place, to Klipsch and to the world of hi fi altogether. I bought a pair of RP-160s and am in love with the Klipsch sound. What I'm chasing is getting a fuller sound when listening to classical (especially orchestral) music, because the current setup is underwhelming in this regard.

What should I buy next to address the issue? Factors to consider:

• current setup:
    • Yamaha R-N602
    • RP-160F 
  • room details:
    • 13.6 x 13.4 x 10 ft (1,822 cubic ft)
    • ceramic floors with rugs to reduce reverb
  • musical preferences
    • classical and jazz 
    • classic rock and trip-hop, though to a lesser degree
  • budget: ~$1,000 for new a product
  • options I'm considering:
    • RP-260 (local store -- I'm not located in the US)
    • RP-6000 (+ hassle of ordering from abroad. Worth it?)
    • SVS SB-2000 
  • future project: building a 5.1 system by adding a central speaker and a 5.1 receiver (though music will remain a priority)

In light of the above, I have these questions:

• Which is a better solution: a subwoofer or tower speakers? I imagine both will add more body, as it were, albeit in different ways.
  • If tower speakers, which? The prices of both are almost identical. I prefer dealing with the local store in case something goes wrong down the line. Is the RP-6000F more future-proof than the RP-260F? Significantly better? Or is it a matter of preference?
  • Any other suggestions on how to better enjoy classical music through Klipsch products (barring exorbitant purchases I can't afford) are welcome. 

Advice on any of the above would be great. Enlighten me!

Edited by Man in the Box
formatting, grammar

Hard to go wrong with Klipsch. I'd go with a sub, as even your present speakers will work well with more bottom. Properly matched, the sub will be inaudible and it all seamless. No need for fancy testing...if you know classical music well and what the "real thing" sounds like, just keep tweaking until you get to that perfect point where the sub disappears. 

Dave

• Like 4

I also enjoy classical and jazz. I also love the Klipsch sound. In spite of your concern about "dealing with a local store in case something goes wrong", I would suggest going to the used market (usually craigslist) and get a pair of Hereseys, or Fortes, or Cornwalls, or Chorus (basically the traditional "heritage" line up). This would  cost substantially less than the  $1000 you specified. Depending on your location, you may need to wait for a good deal to come along, but it will happen in time. 

I would not worry about something going wrong with them. If they work (all the drivers and no scratchy noises), then they work. No need to assume they will stop working. The sound will be quite a bit better than the RP line (not that they are bad ..... this is just a step up). 

The electronics you have are fine.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I also enjoy classical and jazz. I also love the Klipsch sound. In spite of your concern about "dealing with a local store in case something goes wrong", I would suggest going to the used market (usually craigslist) and get a pair of Hereseys, or Fortes, or Cornwalls, or Chorus (basically the traditional "heritage" line up). This would  cost substantially less than the  $1000 you specified. Depending on your location, you may need to wait for a good deal to come along, but it will happen in time. 

I would not worry about something going wrong with them. If they work (all the drivers and no scratchy noises), then they work. No need to assume they will stop working. The sound will be quite a bit better than the RP line (not that they are bad ..... this is just a step up). 

The electronics you have are fine.

Good luck,

-Tom

Would you say that the difference between the Heresys and the RP line is substantial? It seems to be the most affordable (for lack of a better term!) of the ones you suggested. I could save up for them, if they’re worthwhile. But it’ll take time. 

I’m afraid there isn’t much in the way of used upscale audio equipment on offer where I am (Bahrain). It’s a small country/ market, which means slower circulation of used products. I did miss out on a bargain on a 5.1 system with four RP 820s, though. Not having discovered Klipsch yet, I scoffed at the price. Who in their right mind would drop a full grand on a bunch of speakers?

Yet, here I am.

Edited by Man in the Box
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did not realize the issue about location. The Hereseys are good speakers. However new ones are not worth the price in my opinion. I assume there would be import fees and VAT taxes etc. 

The advice about about adding a small subwoofer makes a good deal of sense in this circumstance. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

I was going to do a +1 for what @PrestonTomwrote then noted the Bahrain location in @Man in the Box response.  Ok, that's a different situation likely!   I suggest any good quality, 10 inch, sealed, front firing sub.  It doesn't sound like you want to shake the house down, so 10 inch but quality is key.  In the future, when you go for your 5.1 (or 5.2 even better if possible), get a set of towers, move the RP160's to surround duty.  I would get the center channel last and only if you really want it for Home Theater.

I have Velodyne DD10 subs at $700 each Cdn.  These are very good, but you have to work the used equipment market and I'm not sure if that's even possible in Bahrain.  Is there any online Audio Mart in countries near enough to support the cost of shipping?  For instance, there's Canada Audio Mart and US Audio Mart, both of which have used equipment ... the caveat being as always ... buyer beware!  Best wishes in your search.

1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

I was going to do a +1 for what @PrestonTomwrote then noted the Bahrain location in @Man in the Box response.  Ok, that's a different situation likely!   I suggest any good quality, 10 inch, sealed, front firing sub.  It doesn't sound like you want to shake the house down, so 10 inch but quality is key.  In the future, when you go for your 5.1 (or 5.2 even better if possible), get a set of towers, move the RP160's to surround duty.  I would get the center channel last and only if you really want it for Home Theater.

I have Velodyne DD10 subs at $700 each Cdn.  These are very good, but you have to work the used equipment market and I'm not sure if that's even possible in Bahrain.  Is there any online Audio Mart in countries near enough to support the cost of shipping?  For instance, there's Canada Audio Mart and US Audio Mart, both of which have used equipment ... the caveat being as always ... buyer beware!  Best wishes in your search.

This is very helpful, this order of priority. Would a 10 inch sub be overshadowed by the combination of the 160s and the 260s/ 6000s, in your opinion? 

The SVS-SB line has great reviews and seems to be precise (or tight or whatever the correct audiophile adjective is lol). Was considering the 12 inch SVS SB 2000, but if its 10 inch sibling will do, that'll bring me closer to the day I buy the towers.

EDIT: no stores dedicated to used audio here I'm afraid. It'll probably come down to paying retail price.

Edited by Man in the Box

While the woofers are not large on the RP-160s, placement may give you a bit more bass. Perhaps you've already tried this, but while waiting for a sub to arrive you can play...

That Yamaha should work well, but you may want to try another amp just to see if there is a synergy issue. I've had amps that just work better with certain speakers better than others. If you could borrow one to try... I understand the difficulty with the location.

Bruce

@Man in the Box I've only ever had Klipsch (15 inch down firing and ported) and Velodyne (10 inch, sealed, front firing) subs, but the SVS line is clearly a top line.  As to 10 vs 12, I was pleased with my 1 Velodyne DD10 ... but did purchase a second (also used) and paired them with my Heresy.  Two, matched are better in most cases... others on the forum can debate that one ... but there's always the issue of finding all that floor space.  If you have to do full retail, I'd be tempted to start with the 10 inch and have some seed money for the towers.  If you can find some used gear including shipping (long stretch?), e.g.  the UK Audio Mart  https://www.ukaudiomart.com/ then maybe a 12?  Good luck with the decision and the hunt.                                                      

3 hours ago, Man in the Box said:

Would you say that the difference between the Heresys and the RP line is substantial? It seems to be the most affordable (for lack of a better term!) of the ones you suggested. I could save up for them, if they’re worthwhile. But it’ll take time. 

I’m afraid there isn’t much in the way of used upscale audio equipment on offer where I am (Bahrain). It’s a small country/ market, which means slower circulation of used products. I did miss out on a bargain on a 5.1 system with four RP 820s, though. Not having discovered Klipsch yet, I scoffed at the price. Who in their right mind would drop a full grand on a bunch of speakers?

Yet, here I am.

When they are worth it! 

I think I'll stick with my La Scalas and Heresys for now, and maybe a pair of WR-620's if and when I sell my four JBL Control X Weather Resistants!

John Kuthe...

11 hours ago, MC39693 said:

@Man in the Box I've only ever had Klipsch (15 inch down firing and ported) and Velodyne (10 inch, sealed, front firing) subs, but the SVS line is clearly a top line.  As to 10 vs 12, I was pleased with my 1 Velodyne DD10 ... but did purchase a second (also used) and paired them with my Heresy.  Two, matched are better in most cases... others on the forum can debate that one ... but there's always the issue of finding all that floor space.  If you have to do full retail, I'd be tempted to start with the 10 inch and have some seed money for the towers.  If you can find some used gear including shipping (long stretch?), e.g.  the UK Audio Mart  https://www.ukaudiomart.com/ then maybe a 12?  Good luck with the decision and the hunt.                                                      

In that case, I think I’ll start with the 10 SVS. Those have rave reviews, so it should be decent.

11 hours ago, Marvel said:

While the woofers are not large on the RP-160s, placement may give you a bit more bass. Perhaps you've already tried this, but while waiting for a sub to arrive you can play...

That Yamaha should work well, but you may want to try another amp just to see if there is a synergy issue. I've had amps that just work better with certain speakers better than others. If you could borrow one to try... I understand the difficulty with the location.

Bruce

I spent some time moving the speakers around and cranking up the bass by ~40%. It made quite a difference. I imagine it could still sound better with a sub, but this isn’t bad for the time being. Thanks! I’ll try different receivers if I get a chance. 

9 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

When they are worth it! 

I think I'll stick with my La Scalas and Heresys for now, and maybe a pair of WR-620's if and when I sell my four JBL Control X Weather Resistants!

John Kuthe...

Your Klipsch speakers look great! I’m jealous. 

9 hours ago, garyrc said:

Get the best subwoofer you can afford, then rest and enjoy.

Then SVS it is. I think I’ll get the 10 inch after all. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, garyrc said:

Get the best subwoofer you can afford, then rest and enjoy.

I'd like to answer @Man in the Box's question in an unusual way, in an open ended discussion with Gary.  I am leaning towards suggesting larger speakers and Gary is going the other way suggesting a sub.  I find myself agreeing with Gary almost always, so I'd like to explore his thinking.

I am also a fan of jazz and classical.  I find big speakers produce a big sound.

MITB has a pair of RP-160's, I have the newer RP600M.  Both speakers have a single 6.5 woofer and the speakers are said to sound similar.  I tested the 600M in stereo 2.0 mode with a Marantz 6011 (125 wpc) and did NOT find them lacking for much.  When I added a 15" sealed sub to make it 2.1 it did not add that much while listening to music.

That's why my instinct is to suggest larger floor standing speakers instead of a sub.  Let me throw in another kink; I am wondering if MITB has a Yamaha AVR (80 wpc) that is strong enough.  I wonder if we check his AVR settings there is some more performance in there somewhere.

Mr. @Man in the Box if you can hold off ordering anything for a short period of time I would like to reconfigure my main system to test the sound with jazz and classical music with the 600M's.  I have a ten inch Paradigm sub, 250 wpc I can then throw into the mix so I think I can test in the current configuration, and then add in a ten inch sub many are suggesting. 

I'll try this later today and get back to you with my impressions.  -Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I'd like to answer @Man in the Box's question in an unusual way, in an open ended discussion with Gary.  I am leaning towards suggesting larger speakers and Gary is going the other way suggesting a sub.  I find myself agreeing with Gary almost always, so I'd like to explore his thinking.

I am also a fan of jazz and classical.  I find big speakers produce a big sound.

MITB has a pair of RP-160's, I have the newer RP600M.  Both speakers have a single 6.5 woofer and the speakers are said to sound similar.  I tested the 600M in stereo 2.0 mode with a Marantz 6011 (125 wpc) and did NOT find them lacking for much.  When I added a 15" sealed sub to make it 2.1 it did not add that much while listening to music.

That's why my instinct is to suggest larger floor standing speakers instead of a sub.  Let me throw in another kink; I am wondering if MITB has a Yamaha AVR (80 wpc) that is strong enough.  I wonder if we check his AVR settings there is some more performance in there somewhere.

Mr. @Man in the Box if you can hold off ordering anything for a short period of time I would like to reconfigure my main system to test the sound with jazz and classical music with the 600M's.  I have a ten inch Paradigm sub, 250 wpc I can then throw into the mix so I think I can test in the current configuration, and then add in a ten inch sub many are suggesting. 

I'll try this later today and get back to you with my impressions.  -Dave

Thanks a lot, wvu80. I think you nailed the problem: increasing the bass on the receiver a bit further, which I tended to avoid because I don't want to disturb others, makes classical music to sound more "full," if you know what I mean. But when I play bass-heavy material, it can be a little too much (makes my king-size bed and mattress vibrate). This seems to suggest that I configuration problem (vs. a bass problem).

It's interesting that you find a 15 inch sub not to add much to what you already have. If that's the case, especially given the genres you listen to, I imagine a 10 inch sub may not add much either. Also, the 160s and 600s can go as low as ~45 Hz. An SVS sub goes down to 19 Hz. Does that make a difference, in your experience? I'm interested to see what you find after adding your sub. I won't make a purchase within the coming couple of weeks, at least.

Also, my receiver spec sheet says "dynamic power per channel" is 105 W for 8 ohm speakers, "maximum power per channel" is 105 W and "maximum effective output power" is 115 W. I have no idea what this stuff means. Is it underpowered for these speakers? 

Edited by Man in the Box
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Man in the Box said:

What I'm chasing is getting a fuller sound when listening to classical (especially orchestral) music, because the current setup is underwhelming in this regard.

From a different angle so far explored, what is the source of your "classical" music?  And how are you "playing" them if CDs?  Also, if CDs, what are their vintage?

I ask because fairly early on, classical CDs (more so than other types) could contain pre-emphasis of the highs, rather like Dolby B.  There are two ways to indicate the presence of pre-emphasis: in the disc's Table Of Contents, and in a track's sub-channel.  When I ripped all my CDs to flac for "serving" the music from my computer I found several which indicated pre-emphasis in their TOCs, and several which didn't yet did in sub-channels.  I understand that most if not all dedicated "CD players" get things right and apply the necessary de-emphasis, while computer-based "players" often (typically?) don't.  Hence my questions to you: a lack of de-emphasis when called for makes the music sound bright, or lacking in bass.

• Like 1