CF-3's, oak, $699, near Daytona, FL

Emile

4 hours ago, Emile said:

what about these ?

https://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/d/winter-park-klipsch-heresy-type-hip/6911291826.html

KLIPSCH HERESY TYPE: HIP SPEAKERS - $375 (Winter Park) hide this posting

image 1 of 7

00A0A_cEzY6aa3eJD_600x450.jpg

00g0g_duUtcUpKa34_600x450.jpg

00T0T_avzJjbh2JP6_600x450.jpg

00N0N_dz2XgWloaUZ_600x450.jpg

00H0H_cqvmfaythJm_600x450.jpg

00C0C_6GsHNTcj9AX_600x450.jpg

3415.png3415.png3416.png3416.png3417.png3417.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

condition: good 
make / manufacturer: KLIPSH 
model name / number: HERESY HIP 
size / dimensions: 24"L x 15"W x 13"H 

UP FOR SALE IS A PAIR OF KLIPSCH HERESY TYPE: HIP ( HERESY INDUSTRIAL PORTED ) SPEAKERS.

BOTH OF THESE SPEAKERS ARE IN EXCELLENT WORKING ORDER. ALL DRIVERS WORK FLAWLESSLY, NO ISSUES AT ALL.

BOTH TWEETERS, MIDS AND WOOFERS WORK.

THEY ALSO LOOK GREAT, NO PUSHED IN WOOFER DUST CAPS, NO ANY KIND OF PHYSICAL DAMAGES ON ANY OF THESE DRIVERS.
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 9:26 PM, dirtmudd said:

what about these ?

After a few pair of Heresy, one pair of CW and one pair of CF 3, I'll chime in - There might not be much need to AB HIP to CW, but I might be wrong, again. Some have ABed CW to CF3 and favored CF3.... I didn't have the same  thought when I did that. CF3 ~ = to CW... and in matching oak for 700 clams might be the way to go. 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

im in central Florida and looking for your thoughts on whether these would make good l/r fronts for small 5.1 home theatre system I’d like to build for my master suite sitting area? It would be a 4 hour round trip pick up. If so, what center and what h/t receiver would work well. Would I need second power amp? Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, farmerrob said:

thoughts on whether these would make good l/r fronts for small 5.1 home theatre system

The CF-3's have an almost fanatical following.  They are very highly regarded, especially the version1.  The ones listed are version 2.  They would make GREAT mains in a home theater.

I track CF-3 prices and the documented average is $619.  I own CF-4 v1.  I love mine and they sound exceptionally good with a 15" sub.

Those have been up for nearly a month.  Either the ad hasn't been taken down or the Seller might be willing to negotiate.

+++

On 7/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, farmerrob said:

If so, what center and what h/t receiver would work well. Would I need second power amp?

You want the best quality center you can get.  I think the KV-3 is the matching center, it has the same compression driver but smaller woofers.

I've used the RC-64 (any version I, II, II)  with mine and it blends wonderfully.

I would suggest a Denon or Marantz AVR with at least 100 wpc.  You don't NEED the external amp, but I have one for my power hungry CF-4's and it does help the bass considerably.

I am currently using an Onkyo TX NR717 with an Emotiva XPA-5 amp, 200 wpc to power my CF-4's.  They sound pretty good with the extra power, but the high quality power you would get from the Denon or Marantz would be fine.  I also own a Marantz 6011, 125 wpc and it is much stronger than my Onk 717.

I suggest a good 15" sub.  I use a pair of Umax 15's in a 3.0 cuft sealed box, with an Inuke 3000dsp, so about 600 wpc.  A single sub would also work.  I've used a 12" Klipsch sub with the CF-4's in the past and it sounded great.

921994760_CheapThrillonCF-4small.thumb.jpg.8defb546685cf7a984aec0bf24939d08.jpg

Image00002.thumb.jpg.0b0d2c7293f1ec9f1dcf082d47f4c60c.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, the KV4 is the intended center for the Epic Series but I've A/B compared with the KLF C7 and my ears prefer the KLF C7 for dialog. My wife, who has spent the last 20+ years listening to good audio systems we've owned is also pretty good judge. She gave the KLF C7 the thumb's-up during my comparison of the two. 

YMMV but that's our opinion over here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mimalmo said:

my ears prefer the KLF C7 for dialog. My wife, who has spent the last 20+ years listening to good audio systems we've owned is also pretty good judge. She gave the KLF C7 the thumb's-up during my comparison of the two. 

YMMV but that's our opinion over here.

I have heard that numerous times that the C7 sounds better.  And if it sounds better, that's the standard.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, farmerrob said:

Thanks everyone for the great input and help.

Overall, it doesnt matter if they are version 1, 2, or 3.  People get hung up saying "you just have to get the version 1's and forget the others" which is BS.  They all sound great and you can't really be that picky about the Epics if one wants a pair.  I'd buy any iteration if they came up around me for reasonable again, personally.  Heck, the drivers for any of them are rare as hens teeth anyway. I've owned CF-3's and 5 pairs of Heresys; I'd pick the CF-s anytime. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:25 PM, wvu80 said:

I would suggest a Denon or Marantz AVR with at least 100 wpc.  You don't NEED the external amp, but I have one for my power hungry CF-4's and it does help the bass considerably.

Yes; agree.Got some Cf-3's about 2 months ago. LOVE them :D  But was using a Marantz 1060 (30wpc) ... changed to a Kenwood M1 (220wpc) and it really helped :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Heck, the drivers for any of them are rare as hens teeth anyway.

You are absolutely right, the K-63KN CD used in the CF-3 and CF-4 is un-obtainium.  Crites does not offer a replacement diaphragm.

If anybody does pick up the pair with the blow tweet there is an alternative which can be found on the used market, the EV DH1506.  It's much heavier than the K-63 and I would suggest building a shelf support which would be helpful to take the pressure off the horn lens and add extra bracing to the enclosure. 

Another CD which would work is the B&C DE-250 which can be found new on PE.