Adding subwoofer to 2-Channel System

Blackbird

I have been contemplating about adding an LF-10 Pro subwoofer to my 2-Channel system.  But the Klipschorns were so natural and balance that every time I listen to the music the bass just blend it so perfect that I forgot the subwoofer was even there.  So the question is, is the subwoofer even necessary?

1 hour ago, Blackbird said:

. . . the bass just blend it so perfect that I forgot the subwoofer was even there.

IMO, that is how it ought to be.  If a subwoofer is a constant reminder of its presence, it’s not working properly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Not unless you have a lot of material that drops down pretty low (pipe organ, etc.)

I listen to quite a bit of classical but they never go that low as you mentioned.

What about material such as 1812 Overture?

Open E on a double bass or electric bass is about 41 Hz.  Open B on a 5-string bass is about 32 Hz.  Kick drums run about 50 -100 and companies are similar.  So for music, a Klipschorn has all you need. 

• Like 1

I think the proper chain of events in regards to adding a piece of gear such as a sub is.  The initial question, a desire to investigate said question,  finding a well regarded item to test, get it home, experiment and verify.   Oh yeah, and report your findings here. 🤘

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JohnA said:

Open E on a double bass or electric bass is about 41 Hz.  Open B on a 5-string bass is about 32 Hz.  Kick drums run about 50 -100 and companies are similar.  So for music, a Klipschorn has all you need. 

So I should be able to play 1812 Overture on Klipschorns with no problem.  Any problem playing it with my flea amps (2A3 Moondogs)?

• Like 1

No, probably not.  Not at any realistic SPL.  I have the Telarc version.  Impressive. 

20 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

So I should be able to play 1812 Overture on Klipschorns with no problem.  Any problem playing it with my flea amps (2A3 Moondogs)?

11 hours ago, JohnA said:

Should be alright, speaking to the bass department... thanks and what an idea...1812 that is...at lower volume...

I use Klipschorns, a Belle Klipsch center, with a subwoofer (Klipsh RSW15) with movies and music.

• The Klipschorns alone, with the bass drum, timpani, and tam-tam in Fanfare for the Common Man will flap my pants legs at 13 feet away (in a 4,000 + cu. ft. room) and throw my work table out of square for just a moment (not kidding).  That is at an expenditure of about 25 watts per channel and about 112 dB SPL (just on the beats) at the listening position.
  • The Klipschorns alone (with Audyssey Flat), measured with REW and a calibrated mic, cross the 0 line at 33 Hz, then roll off to - 8dB at 23 Hz, below which the trace disappears.
  • Crossing over the Khorns to the subwoofer can add considerable deep bass volume, but not much range.  The subwoofer curve is very much like the Khorn curve, except the sub extends (weakly) to 16 Hz, instead of 23 Hz.
  • I use the sub for movies because I don't want to risk the Khorns under the barrage of extreme movie LFE. 
  • I also use the sub for music, most of the time, but there is a trade off.  The Khorns are more precise, tight and clean down to, maybe, 30 -35 Hz.  If you get smooth response down to that point with your Khorns, I'd recommend crossing over to the sub at about 40 Hz, but , for movies, set the LPF for LFE at the usual 120 Hz, or 80 Hz.  
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, garyrc said:

I use Klipschorns, a Belle Klipsch center, with a subwoofer (Klipsh RSW15) with movies and music.

• The Klipschorns alone, with the bass drum, timpani, and tam-tam in Fanfare for the Common Man will flap my pants legs at 13 feet away (in a 4,000 + cu. ft. room) and throw my work table out of square for just a moment (not kidding).  That is at an expenditure of about 25 watts per channel and about 112 dB SPL (just on the beats) at the listening position.
  • The Klipschorns alone (with Audyssey Flat), measured with REW and a calibrated mic, cross the 0 line at 33 Hz, then roll off to - 8dB at 23 Hz, below which the trace disappears.
  • Crossing over the Khorns to the subwoofer can add considerable deep bass volume, but not much range.  The subwoofer curve is very much like the Khorn curve, except the sub extends (weakly) to 16 Hz, instead of 23 Hz.
  • I use the sub for movies because I don't want to risk the Khorns under the barrage of extreme movie LFE. 
  • I also use the sub for music, most of the time, but there is a trade off.  The Khorns are more precise, tight and clean down to, maybe, 30 -35 Hz.  If you get smooth response down to that point with your Khorns, I'd recommend crossing over to the sub at about 40 Hz, but , for movies, set the LPF for LFE at the usual 120 Hz, or 80 Hz.  

I respect that GaryC and between you and JohnA would take it to meaning. . thanks

We shall see possibly later what the OP considers...

• Like 1

I am not going to play a lot of materials similar to 1812 Overtune.  Per Deang and JohnA posts, I don't think I will need a subwoofer at all.

My Vinyl Telarc will be here this Saturday.  This will be a test for my just repaired moondogs.

• 4 weeks later...