veloceleste

very nice speakers and a good price.

It drives me nuts however to see that the efficiency is stated as 104 db. This is false. Just try to remember that the lowest efficiency driver in a system will set the system efficiency. This is always the woofer in a system with a dynamic woofer. It is physically impossible for a fifteen inch woofer to be 104 db efficient, 99db is the theoretical max. When you see ratings higher than this what you are seeing is simply a resonance generating a peak that is all or you are reading a flat out lie.

47 minutes ago, moray james said:

very nice speakers and a good price.

It drives me nuts however to see that the efficiency is stated as 104 db. This is false. Just try to remember that the lowest efficiency driver in a system will set the system efficiency. This is always the woofer in a system with a dynamic woofer. It is physically impossible for a fifteen inch woofer to be 104 db efficient, 99db is the theoretical max. When you see ratings higher than this what you are seeing is simply a resonance generating a peak that is all or you are reading a flat out lie.

In fairness, Bob Crites states that they are 104db efficient on his site. 

2 hours ago, Pinball_pw said:

in all fairness it is still not true and just because you and I like Bob does not make any difference. The facts are the facts. If you want to horn load your woofer fine that number may be achievable but not without a horn. Makers need to be specific with respect to bandwidth as well when sighting efficiency or as was mentioned sensitivity in a system.

3 hours ago, Pinball_pw said:

Actually a loudspeaker's efficiency rating is a measure of its sound output level @ 2.83 volts input, and at a distance of one meter. It is a measure of the collective sound output of all drivers at that input voltage, not just one driver or transducer in the loudspeaker.

most all compression drives are much more efficient than the dynamic woofer(s) they are mated with. This is normal. The compression driver in a system must then be padded down to match the efficiency level of the woofer and this results in even level response between the compression driver and the dynamic woofer at crossover. If you understand this then you must understand why the lower efficiency driver sets the system efficiency.

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 2:51 PM, polizzio said:

Actually a loudspeaker's efficiency rating is a measure of its sound output level @ 2.83 volts input, and at a distance of one meter. It is a measure of the collective sound output of all drivers at that input voltage, not just one driver or transducer in the loudspeaker.

Just don't forget that the industry standard frequency to get to that number is 1kHz. That sine is coming from the midrange so I really don't see why this measurement is being applied to the woofer.

7 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Just don't forget that the industry standard frequency to get to that number is 1kHz. That sine is coming from the midrange so I really don't see why this measurement is being applied to the woofer.

Agreed.

But is there today truly an industry standard for testing? I know 30-40 years ago there were no regulated or hard standards for testing loudspeakers or audio amplifiers. Is there a controlling body over test standards/conditions? Perhaps by an electrical engineering board or society?

I don't believe so even today as i see different amplifier output test settings used by manufacturers to rate their equipment. A few of them I believe are actually deceptive with their published results. Not all but a few.