BEWARE - SCAM

Biscuit

Little long here, but wanted to alert others to this kind of scam that happened to me last night and this morning.

• I am relatively new here, and posted on these forums about some speakers and stereo equipment wanted for a relative.
  • Two nights ago I get a nice message saying he knew of a guy (Mark) that had one and to email him. See SS below

image.png.e70273f87c9572e1b67f7410c42ac47c.png

• Without thinking I write Mark and go to bed
  • Mark writes back this morning to my request for pics and information about a stellar deal!  
  • image.thumb.png.8e7dde18cddcfb29c21b6c3ff11bb679.png

So I was excited at first. 325 shipped for a gorgeous 7070. But some red flags...

• Bitcoin? ( I know this one is possible, just rare )
  • Stermor3 (on these forums) has zero rep and joined the forums about 90 minutes before he sent me the private message
  • Agent working with UPS?
  • Price?

So I look up address....doesn't exist

So I do a reverse image search on the pics....google doesn't find them but says its probably a receiver....good job google

So I just key in Sansui 7070 and pull up images.. BINGO

I get a seller on REVERB in Prague.... https://elektro.bazos.cz/inzerat/105829602/Sansui-7070-receiver.php

Thought I would share.  It is a pretty piece though right?

Just wished I had used a throw-a-way email to be safer.

-Biscuit

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately local deals are rare. As long as you use PayPal (never friends and family) You’re covered. Paying any way other than cash or PayPal you’re asking to get taken advantage of. Scammers won’t use PayPal because they protect you. 

• 1 year later...

Here's my scam story:  I sold a pair of Fortes on Ebay as local pickup a while back. The buyer lived a couple of hours away and paid with a Paypal Echeck which I found takes up to 6 days to clear. They wanted to come by the very next day to pick them up but it still showed as Pending in PP. They got all annoyed and acted hurt when I told them it had to clear first so I just canceled the transaction rather than deal with them.

Not sure if its true but I was told later that Ebay/PP won't protect you on Local Pickup because they can't verify the product was picked up.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:11 AM, davis419b said:

I have been collecting Sansui for years but I am now going to sell most of my collection. If you still want a 7070 let me know.

DonIMG_0232.thumb.JPG.c4c7500326a141bc1c8edb38e5850a28.JPG

Looks like the start of a nice museum! 

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on the scam