Looking for Subs to Complement Speakers

heavy21

My integrator has proposed these speakers for Home Theater build-out of my basement:

a. 1 pair Klipsch RP600M Ebony

b. 1 RP5040C

c. 4 Klipsch Reference In-Ceiling Speakers Pro-16

d.  1 pair Klipsch RP-402 On-Walls Surrounds

Integrator has recommended a non Klipsch sub-woofer  which I'm philosophically opposed to.  This will be a 9.2.4 system.  Recommendations for a complimentary pair of Klipsch sub-woofers please.

Edited by heavy21
Syntax

I simply seek from Klipsch speakerphiles, a starting point for complimenting my selection of non-bass speakers.  If there are speakerphiles who can speak to sub woofers that in their opinion are worth considering, I welcome their input.

I don't know about your specific speakers capabilities and room size and intended use. Here is my experience with Klipsch stuff. 

I have a close to 20 year old setup - RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 and used to have a RSW-15 sub. These worked great. I had issues a few years ago  with the RSW-15 sub and had to get it repaired. A year or so back I had another issue and replaced it with a SVS PB16-Ultra.

2 PB16's will do you well - but they are not Klipsch and they will very likely be overkill for your speakers/room/AVR/use....etc

My advice - do not get hung up on a Klipsch sub (or two). I love my speakers but there are better subs to be had. Check other brands SVS/HSU etc. Subs are have a much (no?) lesser requirement to timbre match the other speakers.

If you are hell bent on Klipsch a rule of thumb (mine) would be spend around what you spent on your fronts for a sub. Then buy two. Maybe: 2x R-120SW? 

This is my opinion so it may not be worth considering.

• Like 1

Look at Seaton, JTR, and PSA for subs. They will blow all the klipsch and svs subs out of the water. This suggestion is based off you not wanting to build you own. Which would be a better bang for buck than anything if you have the capability. 

• Like 2

SVS has a 5 year "covers everything" warranty. Many subs only do 2 or 3 years on the amp, which is what usually fails. SVS customer service is superb and they have a on line live chat function (help with setup or adjustments) during business hours. Also SVS has an "in home" 90 day trial period, and pay for return shipping if you choose to go another route. Take a look and see how many sub manufacturers/vendors offer paid return shipping/trial period on their product. 

Seaton and JTR do offer some killer subs, especially JTR, but not everybody is looking to spend $3000 plus on a single sub. Or need a sub with 115+ db output.

2 hours ago, AHall said:

Look at Seaton, JTR, and PSA for subs. They will blow all the klipsch and svs subs out of the water. This suggestion is based off you not wanting to build you own. Which would be a better bang for buck than anything if you have the capability. 

Or, just build a tapped horn to stand up against a wall. Paint it the same color so it "dissapears." Then just feel the energy below 60 hz.

Thank you all for your inciteful response(s).  I've taken note of the subs you recommend.

Integrator proposes 1 pair Klipsch RP600M, Klipsch RP5040C, 4 Klipsch Reference in-ceiling, 1 pair RP-402 on-wall surrounds, and two JL Audio 10" dia. subwoofer driver, sealed enclosure, 750W RMS amplifier.  HT room area is 25 x 20 before framing.  Framing will be room within a room for reduction of sound transmission.

I fancy two subs as part of the setup but not at $1K apiece since I'm hearing impaired and wearing hearing aids.  Hope to arrange direct comparison audition of differnent subs and the proposed Klipsch speakers.