Putting an RP-400C with R-620f and other questions...

cronuss

I just got two R-620f and am enjoying them. For now I am using one of my R-51M bookshelf speakers as a temporary center...

I know the recommended center for the package is the R-52C, but right now I can get an RP-400C for only $20 more.

Obviously that seems like a no-brainer (?), but would I experience any issues with timbre matching, etc?

Side note: I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off returning the R-620f towers and getting RP-400M for a little bit more... thoughts on RP bookshelf vs R towers? I definitely notice way more OOMPH going from my R-51M to R-620f... would downsizing back to bookshelf and smaller woofers but with the RP series be an upgrade or downgrade? 

Thanks for any feedback!

EDIT: Despite the timbre concerns (which is my main reason for posting, and still my main concern)... I am wondering:

The R-51M bookshelf I'm using for a center now has a 5.25" woofer that goes down to 62hz.

The R-52C has two 5.25" woofers (still smaller than the 6.5" on my towers) and only goes to 89hz.

The RP-400C has two 4" woofers... smaller, but goes down to a similar 65hz of the R-51M....

Am I wrong to expect the RP-400C to sound heavier and punchier than both? Or am I really stupid and am spending $200 on a center that will sound LESS heavt than my little bookshelf speaker?

What do you recommend for the best center for around $200 to round this system out?

Thanks again :)

Edited by cronuss

On 7/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, cronuss said:

I know the recommended center for the package is the R-52C, but right now I can get an RP-400C for only $20 more.

Unless you're just hurting for space and have the matching RP-4000F towers I wouldn't get the 400C, you're just going to be upgrading again in the future and it will be hard to sell.  If at all possible try to save up and shoot for the larger ones like the RP-504C, that's where 95% of everybody with Reference Premier ends up, but, yeah you're not going to get it for $200.  

thoughts on RP bookshelf vs R towers?

The titanium tweeters with the molded silicone horn on the RP's are more pleasant, it's not as harsh / fatiguing / bright once you crank them up.  I'd much rather have RP bookshelves than the entry level Reference towers myself.  

Am I wrong to expect the RP-400C to sound heavier and punchier than both?

Don't get 4" woofers expecting them to be heavy / thick / punchy.  ;)  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Unless you're just hurting for space and have the matching RP-4000F towers I wouldn't get the 400C, you're just going to be upgrading again in the future and it will be hard to sell.  If at all possible try to save up and shoot for the larger ones like the RP-504C, that's where 95% of everybody with Reference Premier ends up, but, yeah you're not going to get it for $200.  

The titanium tweeters with the molded silicone horn on the RP's are more pleasant, it's not as harsh / fatiguing / bright once you crank them up.  I'd much rather have RP bookshelves than the entry level Reference towers myself.  

Don't get 4" woofers expecting them to be heavy / thick / punchy.  ;)  

Thanks for the response.

I have the RP-400C and the R-52C and am completely torn on which to keep.

The RP-400C sounds way deeper and matches my towers on mids-lows with an 80hz crossover. Sounds rich and full, but I feel the high end isn't quite timbre matching my towers, so I am losing high end detail, and dialogue isn't as clear.

With the R-52C, setting them at 80hz crossover is actually below their capabilities (am I losing 81-89hz in this case?)... they sound very sharp and clear, and timbre match my towers with the high end, but lack some serious mids and lows to match the towers. 

I can set the crossover to 90hz and things do sound very sharp and clear, but lack that low end oomph throughout.

Totally confused on what to do here and am driving myself crazy!

Not sure if I should keep the RP-400C for the better mids/lows or the R-52C for the better clarity. 

What speaker am I supposed to be using for these R-620f? Is it considered ideal or not ideal to match them with an RP center? I just got the R-620f, so I won't be upgrading those for a long time... so I need a good center to match what I have.

Edited by cronuss

50 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

The matching center is the R52c, is there a sub involved?A good sub make a HUGE difference in sound.

Just commented in the other thread as well. I just bought a BiC PL-200 II. The sub itself sounds great. Maybe I am just not putting all the pieces together properly, such as the crossovers?

On 7/23/2019 at 5:52 PM, Ceptorman said:

The matching center is the R52c, is there a sub involved?A good sub make a HUGE difference in sound.

Problem with using the sub to make up for the low en in the R-52C is that it I have to turn the sub up, and that turns ALL the bass up. I end up with a boomy mess with really loud sub that overwhelms everything else.

I just upgraded to a nice sub, too (BiC PL200 II) so I was hoping this would resolve some of that...