Outlaw RR 2150 amplifier

Hey wnabphil. 

Funny you got the Outlaw 2150 Integrated. I was thinking on doing just that and pairing it w/ RP 600m. I think there will be plenty of power for the speakers since rated at 96dB or so. Plenty of juice.

I am curious how you, or anyone else reading this think of using a Class D amp (such as the Crown XLS 2502) with ANY horn speaker. I know probably alone, it may be a bit too "bright", but the kicker is to marry the amp w/ a Tube PreAmp. I am curious what That would sound like.

I dig Tube sounds, Class A, and Class AB but they all consume SO MUCH power! Some of them it's like running a second, or third major appliance. Ridiculous. I don't want to pay so much on my electric bill, just to hear music, or watch a movie thru a 2.2 system or something. That's why I brought up the question about the efficient class D amps.

I think the Only Class D amp that I demoed was the PeachTree Nova 300. Very nice.

Love to hear what you think.

PS> Regarding the use of L and R speakers and possibly a sub or two for a 2.0 or 2.2 system: I guess I must use a video processor. Unless I could get satisfying results thru using the integrated amp's optic out?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mars1 said:

Hey wnabphil. 

Funny you got the Outlaw 2150 Integrated. I was thinking on doing just that and pairing it w/ RP 600m. I think there will be plenty of power for the speakers since rated at 96dB or so. Plenty of juice.

I am curious how you, or anyone else reading this think of using a Class D amp (such as the Crown XLS 2502) with ANY horn speaker. I know probably alone, it may be a bit too "bright", but the kicker is to marry the amp w/ a Tube PreAmp. I am curious what That would sound like.

I dig Tube sounds, Class A, and Class AB but they all consume SO MUCH power! Some of them it's like running a second, or third major appliance. Ridiculous. I don't want to pay so much on my electric bill, just to hear music, or watch a movie thru a 2.2 system or something. That's why I brought up the question about the efficient class D amps.

I think the Only Class D amp that I demoed was the PeachTree Nova 300. Very nice.

PS> Regarding the use of L and R speakers and possibly a sub or two for a 2.0 or 2.2 system: I guess I must use a video processor. Unless I could get satisfying results thru using the integrated amp's optic out?

You can def run a power amp with it, I done have an amp always used integrated amps, what are the 2150s worth now? I think I got a good deal on it and done see them for sale often? 

2 hours ago, Mars1 said:

Hey wnabphil. 

They have sold between $400 and $550 in good condition with remote, are you in the market? 

2 hours ago, Mars1 said:

Hey wnabphil. 

I sent you a PM message 

11 hours ago, Mars1 said:

I drive Forte IIIs with a NAD / Hypex class D.  Sounds just dandy.  I'm not going to comment on the tube pre -> D amp other than to say it shouldn't make a difference if all the electronics are accurate; if it does, then there's some inaccurate "flavoring" going on.  Might as well just use anything that has tone controls that get used.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also use a class D amp with Forte 3. NuPrime IDA 8, actually a class AD. Sounds absolutely magnificent. I heard tubes in all kind of setups and was never impressed, didn’t really get what the fuss is about. Those glowing tubes sure give a warm and fuzzy feeling, but sound wise...hmmm...

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 3:27 PM, Mars1 said:

Hey wnabphil. 

Running home built horns (Altec 511s with Fatal pro drivers / dual Focal 13" woofers) with Murano Audio 250 Watt IcePower amps and a set of Forte IIs with Bel Canto Ref 1000s.  Fantastic sound.  You don't need tubes nor the heat for excellent sound though it really would matter about your priorities.  

On 7/12/2019 at 3:27 PM, Mars1 said:

am curious how you, or anyone else reading this think of using a Class D amp (such as the Crown XLS 2502) with ANY horn speaker. I know probably alone, it may be a bit too "bright", but the kicker is to marry the amp w/ a Tube PreAmp. I am curious what That would sound like.

Most SS/ or Class D amps have a fairly low input impedance, coupled with most tube preamps have a fairly high output impedance. The mismatch will cause a roll off on the bass. If the SS has a 50k ohm or higher input impedance, you would probably be ok.

I have one. Bought it new and used it with Cornwall’s for 5 or so years. Pretty enjoyable. I ended up changing it out for a marantz av receiver for better functionality in my current setup. The outlaw sounded a little better. I’ve put the outlaw up on Craigslist a couple times but only got low ballers so it’s hanging out in storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pancakehead said:

I have one. Bought it new and used it with Cornwall’s for 5 or so years. Pretty enjoyable. I ended up changing it out for a marantz av receiver for better functionality in my current setup. The outlaw sounded a little better. I’ve put the outlaw up on Craigslist a couple times but only got low ballers so it’s hanging out in storage.

Hey I PM you!!

9 hours ago, Pancakehead said:

I. Want it text me 716-361-1667 

I've owned the RR2160 for more than a year.  As great as Steve Guttenberg and others who have reviewed it say.  Used it with Cornwalls and it was great. Price is so reasonable for what you get.  Now it is the centerpiece of my two channel TV system using the RF 600 M's.  I am currently enjoying an integrated tube amp for music and really enjoying that as well.  I believe you'll like it.

• Like 1