svs plate amps

Heritage_Head

I have a pb10-nsd with 300watt bash amp. And have a pb12-plus sledge 800 watt amp in a box (at my storage). Was wondering if the physical size of the plate would be the same size to switch them. I cant just look being that one is in storage. Its about a 30min drive so if someone knows it could save me some time. I did email svs with this question also.....

The bash amp is a cut all costs bare bones (volume, phase and on/off/auto). The pb12-plus 800 watt sledge has dsp 2 peqs, low and high pass filters, different tune modes and more. Not to mention almost 3 times the power head room. I know it probably could damage the driver if not used correctly but... Imho the term to much power is never the case. Less effort is always an advantage in making loud noises. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

I have a pb10-nsd with 300watt bash amp. And have a pb12-plus sledge 800 watt amp in a box

Normally manufacturers will custom spec amps for different models.  I'd bet that the 2 amps have different high pass filters and running the amp from the 12 in the 10 box could damage the driver. 

I'm speaking in general terms and have no specific knowledge of either amp though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Normally manufacturers will custom spec amps for different models.  I'd bet that the 2 amps have different high pass filters and running the amp from the 12 in the 10 box could damage the driver. 

I'm speaking in general terms and have no specific knowledge of either amp though.

Yup. agreed

Generally from what I've read they eq/filter and other things based on the driver, box, and port (based on what the goals are and what they have to work with to get there). That sound about right?

Svs echoed what you said after telling me it wouldn't physically fit anyways. I know that some people would switch from the bash to the sledge amps on there older svs subs. But those were normally switching to the amp that was now in the same sub (model) that they have. I thought it might work with the low and high pass filters in the dsp of the sledge (peqs are nice as well). But still knew it might not be a good handshake. 

Just now, Heritage_Head said:

Generally from what I've read they eq/filter and other things based on the driver, box, and port (based on what the goals are and what they have to work with to get there). That sound about right?

Correct, subwoofers are designed as a whole.  A manufacturer can build to a price point or a performance point depending on what they're trying to accomplish.  Once they have their goals they'll select a driver, amp and box that are optimized for each other.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 12:35 AM, Heritage_Head said:

I have a pb10-nsd with 300watt bash amp. And have a pb12-plus sledge 800 watt amp in a box (at my storage). Was wondering if the physical size of the plate would be the same size to switch them. I cant just look being that one is in storage. Its about a 30min drive so if someone knows it could save me some time. I did email svs with this question also.....

The bash amp is a cut all costs bare bones (volume, phase and on/off/auto). The pb12-plus 800 watt sledge has dsp 2 peqs, low and high pass filters, different tune modes and more. Not to mention almost 3 times the power head room. I know it probably could damage the driver if not used correctly but... Imho the term to much power is never the case. Less effort is always an advantage in making loud noises. 

Thanks 

I can pretty much guarantee the plates will not line up to the opening that was machine-cut by a laser-guided router to give an exact fit. However, if you have decent wood working skills you can retrofit a new wood plate into or over the old opening. Most important is to maintain the air tight fit between all surfaces, as the box and driver are perfectly tuned to that app. being ported or sealed.

16 minutes ago, Russ Hartman said:

I can pretty much guarantee the plates will not line up to the opening that was machine-cut by a laser-guided router to give an exact fit. However, if you have decent wood working skills you can retrofit a new wood plate into or over the old opening. Most important is to maintain the air tight fit between all surfaces, as the box and driver are perfectly tuned to that app. being ported or sealed.

Or cut a plate that will cover the entire opening, gasket it and put 2 binding posts on it.  You can hook up to it with an external amp that way.