Protecting Wood Finish

BassMaykr

Hi all -

I'm getting a new pair of floorstanders soon, and want to protect the finish. You never know when someone is going to bump into the side of the speaker, or a guest unconsciously puts something on top, and want to be able to rest knowing there is at least some protection.

Does such a product exist? Preferably a film that I can cut and apply, and remove without leaving residue behind - safe for wood finish, not causing damage upon removal.

Please let me know if any of you have any experience in this regard.

Thanks,

Pat

Nothing I've ever heard of that would work. You can't really protect speakers against accidental dents, gouges, kids, and carelessness. It's not like putting a tempered glass screen protector on your iphone. ;) With anything like this, there's always risk of damage. 

Maybe wrap them in plastic like they did furniture back in the 60s and 70s? Lol 

• Like 1

In seriousness though.....If you have children that play in the room the speakers are. My recommendation isn't to spend to much on speakers tell they are older. Stuffs going to get hit with toys, bumped into, drawn on, played on, food and drinks splashed on. Who knows right... Get something you can place high up they cant get to. 

As far as people putting drinks on them or whatever? This confuses me a little.... Are we talking kids? or adults? If its kids then I go back to what I said above. If its adults then I go back to what I said above. 

• Like 2

Make it clear to anyone who enters your home that there are two rules.

#1:  Don't hit the speakers!

#2::  Don't put anything on the speakers!

I've been doing that for many years, and when people see that you're serious about this, they tend to make sure they don't break the rules.

• Like 1

Thank all - just wasn't sure if there was some sort of gentle adhesive film I wasn't aware, like there is for glass. I'll probably go with glass tops and just keeping my dual subs on the flanks.

As for the unconscious guests - it perplexes me, too. Sometimes people come to the house - usually relatives of the wife, and start practically doing gymnastics and jumping jacks next to the most expensive items in the house. It gets exhausting to have to explain to every single guest not to do that. I'd rather just have them protected. I couldn't imagine going into someone's home and resting a drink on, or leaning on a piece of stereo equipment... but apparently I'm alone on that (outside of this forum, of course lol).

Thanks again, everyone.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, PDellisanti said:

Thank all - just wasn't sure if there was some sort of gentle adhesive film I wasn't aware, like there is for glass. I'll probably go with glass tops and just keeping my dual subs on the flanks.

As for the unconscious guests - it perplexes me, too. Sometimes people come to the house - usually relatives of the wife, and start practically doing gymnastics and jumping jacks next to the most expensive items in the house. It gets exhausting to have to explain to every single guest not to do that. I'd rather just have them protected. I couldn't imagine going into someone's home and resting a drink on, or leaning on a piece of stereo equipment... but apparently I'm alone on that (outside of this forum, of course lol).

Thanks again, everyone.

How about when a friend is vacuuming the carpet, and you tell them repeatedly that the inch in front of the speakers does not need to be vacuumed?  They somehow think I’m not serious and run the vacuum into the formerly mint La Scala IIs, and don’t understand why that matters to me at all.  Aaarrgghhh!  They think I’m worried about getting scratches on the vacuum!

Okay.  Cooled down now.  I’ll just have to phrase my instructions more effectively next time.  I have a mobility issue, or I’d do it myself.  That’s part of what makes it so frustrating and annoying.