Protecting Wood Finish

BassMaykr

3 hours ago, Islander said:

How about when a friend is vacuuming the carpet, and you tell them repeatedly that the inch in front of the speakers does not need to be vacuumed?

Or your wife who's painting some 8' 2x4's in the room, swings one around and nails the front of your Jubilee's...

She rolls her eyes that it left (admittedly a small) mark BUT, she will hit the ROOF if you leave a mark on her $100 wood creation.

Lemme see....  let's say $8,000 Jubilee's......$100 wood creation.....

Yeah, that makes sense to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 5:16 PM, Islander said:

How about when a friend is vacuuming the carpet, and you tell them repeatedly that the inch in front of the speakers does not need to be vacuumed?  They somehow think I’m not serious and run the vacuum into the formerly mint La Scala IIs, and don’t understand why that matters to me at all.  Aaarrgghhh!  They think I’m worried about getting scratches on the vacuum!

Okay.  Cooled down now.  I’ll just have to phrase my instructions more effectively next time.  I have a mobility issue, or I’d do it myself.  That’s part of what makes it so frustrating and annoying.

Sounds familiar Pat. I cringe every time my wife vacuums, but at least my speakers have a base that extends about an inch past the wood veneer art the bottom of the speaker. My speakers have a sloped top so no drink, plants, trinkets will stay.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, Coytee said:

Or your wife who's painting some 8' 2x4's in the room, swings one around and nails the front of your Jubilee's...

She rolls her eyes that it left (admittedly a small) mark BUT, she will hit the ROOF if you leave a mark on her $100 wood creation.

Lemme see....  let's say $8,000 Jubilee's......$100 wood creation.....

Yeah, that makes sense to me.

I was on a ladder and dropped a hammer that bounced off the floor a few inches from a Palladium.  It did not hit, but my heart stopped.  I was being lazy and I keep everything in mint condition.  Next time, the speakers will be completely removed from the room. 

I don't let friends with kids over anymore.  I have seen what they do to others houses. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Tarheel said:

And if oldtimer comes over make him keep his walker outside.

:emotion-21:

My wife is yawning at me "what on earth are you laughing about at this time of morning???"

Nothing honey, go back to sleep!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Next time, the speakers will be completely removed from the room. 

If you're anything like me, you'll end up dropping one of them while you're moving it to prevent it from being damaged.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Sounds familiar Pat. I cringe every time my wife vacuums, but at least my speakers have a base that extends about an inch past the wood veneer art the bottom of the speaker. My speakers have a sloped top so no drink, plants, trinkets will stay.

I’m starting to think I should make up some cardboard vacuuming shields.  They could be stored behind the sofa, ready to be deployed instantly when someone offers to vacuum the living room carpet.

No worries about the tops, because the bases for the 402 horns are the same size as the cabinet tops.  As for the side surround La Scalas, they’re on stands (4 folding step stools per speaker), well above the carpet.  I just dust them off with one of those fluffy “magnetic” dusters, which is effective for the tops and bass horns.  There’s grille cloth on the K400s (to tame the “shoutiness”.  It works.), so no dusting there.

• Like 1

For those worrying about the human element when vacuuming,  get a Roomba or one similar and take the human out of the equation. Some can be programmed not to go near certain areas within a room.  that is harder to do with a human, though not impossible.😀

Those robo-vacs look interesting, but how good are they on thick carpets, or on a thick broadloom with a thick area rug on top of it?  The ads mostly show them on hard floors.  

Yes, not much floor bounce in my place, what with the carpets and the well-padded furniture with no hard surfaces showing.