Proceed Amp 3

bkwa1959

Proceed Amp 3 3 channel 125 watts per channel into 8 ohms ad 225 watt per channel into 4 ohms,part of the Mark Levinson company that builds quality amps ,preamps and CD players.Built like a tank amp that sounds great.It is  being used as a 2 channel amp in a small system and I thought I would list it here.Retail was over3500.00,I have the manual but no box.600.00 local pickup or willing to meet if within a couple of hours 

BC0A8825-84B4-4CAC-A900-25768F06190F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
23 minutes ago, Srinath said:

I have an amp 5 I would sell for $800 - If I could ever find a box that will carry it ...

Excellent for vertical bi amping a stereo and running a center or of the other one ...

Cool.

Srinath.

Another good deal for a beast of an amp.

Bill

Now that I know he's sold the amp 3 - hopefully I'm not thread dumping.

The amp5 is a clean 120+ lb. I am very reluctant to ship it. Its available for demo in NC/SC area.

It sounds fantastic with hard to drive capacitive loads like a carver amazing AL 3, and will obviously allow vertical bi amping with the center run out of the 5th channel.

On a easy to drive heritage klipsch, its a bit unneccessary. For the $$ get tubes or even a smaller cap coupled amp like a Marantz 2230, or a pure class A.

It has individual power supplies for each of the 5 channels. Rather small chassis (same as amp 2 and 3) but obviously that 120lb isn't going away anytime soon.

The weak link in the proceed series IMHO is the pre amp. The avp I had with it was just a let down. Well its gone now, so use your preferred pre/XO etc etc and blast away.

The amp5 looks awesome. At 120 lbs., I don't blame you for not wanting to ship. I don't even know how I'd pick it up.

I run 3 Marantz MA500 mono-blocks for center, rear and surround. They work fine, but I just put in a new stand that gives me space for a one-box solution. I'm just investigating possibilities.

I run an AVP2 for surround duties. I've never heard an AVP, but I've read that the AVP2 improved on it.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Edited by nealgrof

1 hour ago, nealgrof said:

I run 3 Marantz MA500 mono-blocks for center, rear and surround. They work fine,

Nice amps.  I owned two of those as well as five MA700s.  Wish I had kept a pair of either one.

Bill

The avp is the pre hdmi build, maybe the avp2 had different circuitry, the avp made the amp 5 sound too soft and muddled and lacking punch. There was a different pre amp they had as well, a different 3 letter acronym, I wanted to try that at some point. I got sort of scammed out of the avp though I should also blame my own stupidity there, but somehow it turns out to have been a good deal in the end. The amp is definitely better of the 2. The avp just looked like a million $$$ though.

I agree.  The AVP (had a fancy remote like Meridian) was tres mediocre (dull is the right word); however, the AVP2 was quite good indeed. Had an interesting, tiny multi-functional programmable remote.  It's sound was twixt Meridian (too digital) and EAD (like analog)--the AVP2 was a just a wee bit bright to my taste but had great detail and air and was super at HT surround. I decided to keep my EAD TM 8000 and sold the AVP super fast and the AVP2 after about a year.  I went through like 15 top-flight DACs and several pre-pros for a time.  I still use the EAD, it's remains one of the best pre-pro for 2-ch audio and is decent but dated for HT. Truly has a 'tube-like' sound.  No listener fatigue at all.  Even the entry level Encore is great for 2-ch, but TM8000 more transparent to my ear.

I thought the DAC in any of the TMs was better than any of their 2 ch DACs, I owned them all at one time.  The TM 8000 was the last model made by the original EAD team before Harmon or someone bought them and crashed them, but my memory is faded.  EAD and Cal Audio were boutique before boutique became common (if you look at Agon these days) and both were ahead of their time, esp. EAD with their resistive-array analog vol controlled digitally and their jitter flywheel (a gimmick I thought, though, and caused hassles at times).  Many pres use this resist-array approach now--EAD was the first, I think.  The Proceed amp series are great!  Sad they went under--Proceed, EAD and Cal Audio were peers, with Meridian a league ahead--at least in pricing! 

The conclusion I came to after DAC rolling was: Yes, a DAC matters; however, if you are unhappy with sound of your system, look to upgrade the DAC as the very last step (I am not a cable believer).  My opinion is that once a good DAC is in hand, law of diminishing returns sets in quickly, except if features are important (like a X-over, esp one that does LARGE fronts + Sub--like the EAD, et al.).

Just saying--I would not have jacked a for-sale post except it's over.  Not sure what compelled me to opine like this.  Apology anyway.